Kirk
Last Name
Kinnell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0UWI
Service Branch
Army
How are you all securing them to your roof racks? Got pics with close ups?
Not sure if you where asking me but me, but i put them in my truck bed and I should have added above I do have a Cover over it. So far so good. I have misc stuff in them now with some boxes that I got from Bass Pro

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

texascascio

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denton Texas
Member #

Have not read every post here but read most of them and wanted to put in my 2 cents due to I did not see it mentioned. I have several Pelican cases that normally range in price from $250 to $400 new. These are hands down the best cases I have ever owned and I have yet to spend over $100 for one of them used.
I watch craigslist and local facebook posts (your town/county garage sales on facebook) and look for them for close to $100 asking price and/or I offer them $100 regardless of what they are asking. Some will say "get bent" and others will sell them to you for $100 or less.
The thing is, it does not matter what they look like on the outside (scratches, dirt, and whatnot), they always look like new on the inside. They are airtight, waterproof and dustproof. You can jump up and down on them. They are so strong and lightweight. Also being airtight you can store food and not have to worry about attracting bears (given your hands were free of food while handling the case). We camp mostly in Colorado bear country.
You don't have to spend a ton of money this way. You may think $100 is a lot for a storage case? Not me, when I will never have to replace them or the contents I keep in them due to the weather getting in. And the fact that I can strap them on the outside of my rig and not even think twice about rain, sleet, snow, or bugs is awesome! Also, another neat feature is I keep clothes and bedding in one of them year round and they stay as fresh as when I put them in. You could even put one dryer sheet in there as a kicker.
My favorite size Pelican case is the im2950 for most storage, I have 4 of them. Saw a post and the guy had 4 and wanted $100 each, I offered $80 each for all 4 (normally $289 each). I also have an im3057 which is very large but it was a steal at $100 (new is $385). I have other sizes as well but you get the point. The deals are out there!
I had some from Acadamy and have tried others and found they just don't last or you can't sit on them even with the lid snapped in place without them caving in or breaking the plastic. You also have to worry about the weather, animals or ants/bugs getting into it.
Well, I hope I helped some of you with another idea for storage for gear at a discount.

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Prinsu rack with ABS cases from harbor freight - and will be designing a platform system for my 4runner

Brendon Abel

Rank 0

Contributor I

I tried a pair of long "Pelican-like" boxes form Princess Auto for the first time last weekend. I like that they are shallow … saves a lot of digging for things. They have roller wheels on one end which make them easy to pull out.

Here they are in the back of my Cherokee XJ. They are strong enough to withstand quite a load on top of them. They fit perfectly in the back of my LJ. I may build a platform over them which would make them easy to remove with disturbing other equipment on top of the platform.

View attachment 59466
View attachment 59467

View attachment 59468

I have smaller cases of the same type for other equipment.
What are the dimensions of these boxes?

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

What are the dimensions of these boxes?
See post #86 of this thread. Unfortunately, if you click on the link you'll see that they are not currently available at Princess Auto. Some of their products come and go so hopefully they'll be back at some time.

texascascio

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denton Texas
Member #

I keep an eye out on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for deals on Used Pelican cases for $100 or under. What size depends on what I need it for.

Keitha37

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Achman
I use the Husky mobile job boxes. They work really well and even offer a version that have interlocking & stacking. Also fairly cheap, have wheels and pretty durable. I use them all the time.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

front runner wolf pack good boxes?? like tough etc.

Yeah,very good boxes and plenty tough.

They are actually South African ammo boxes. I have had four of the FRO Wolf Pack and four of the Cub Pack, as well as four of their soft-sided collapsible packs for about two years. I've hauled them all over North America in all kinds of weather and environments on multi-month adventures and have had no problems with any of them. A big advantage they have is that they are straight-sided so maximize available storage space both inside the packs and where you store them. They stack wonderfully, can be used as stepping stools or seats, and strap down quite nicely to a rack.

Here are some cub packs and soft sided packs on end in the nose box of my trailer. Provides a lot of organized storage.
I stick clear pouches to the cub packs and wolf packs so I can insert content labels.

wolfpack-ax-hatchet-mora_9973-900.jpg
Wolf pack with kindling and fire-making gear.

Reactions: RichieFromBoston

amherstBob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Amherst, VA, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Pelican cases. A few I've purchased new, but most of them I find off Craigslist for about half the cost of new.

1650 camp kitchen
x2 1550 tools & spares
1500 recovery kit
1600 sleeping bag, pillow, 2 blankets
1560 food storage
1200 GoPro case

I know this is a couple years late, but what search terms did you use on craigslist? I'm having no luck :-)
Bob

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I use the Husky mobile job boxes. They work really well and even offer a version that have interlocking & stacking. Also fairly cheap, have wheels and pretty durable. I use them all the time.
So here is a super neat trick to add to the bottom of that Husky tool box. I added one of these in the front middle for added rolling ability. Works great.

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

Mostly Zarges boxes. They stand the test of time and many are certified bear proof for food.

Reactions: RickLB

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I know this is a couple years late, but what search terms did you use on craigslist? I'm having no luck :-)
Bob
For Sale - search for "Pelican"

I usually get a lot of Pelican kayak products too. I'm also in San Francisco, so there's a good chance of finding something out here.

Reactions: amherstBob

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I used 3 medium plano storage boxes last season. I just bought a Pelican Storm 2975 box that I can hopefully replace at least 2 of the Planos with I also use a 50qt Pelican for cold storage as I don't stay out long enough to justify the cost of a 12 volt fridge the Pelican keeps Ice for about a week. While the Planos are okay, they aren't waterproof and keeping 3 of them tied down on my rack is a pain. I am also using a Plano Hunters stool which is kind of a tool box stool combo for my kitchen box. I would love to build something in the back of my Jeep TJ but I am not a cabinet maker by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: Vesidian

PauldF

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ok, I use the Plano's also. I have a Yakima LoadWarror roof rack for now and they fit nicely.

Maybe this should be the start of a different thread, and if the admins move it - fine with me, but what are you all using to secure your gear to your roof racks with? Of course I'm sure we all are using ratcheting tie-downs, but I hate messing around with them especially in poor weather and so does everyone I know! I would love to see examples of more compact units that don't have straps tangling up and winding up incorrectly into the spool of the ratchet, twist up and flap all around etc. I work in construction and use a variety of these guys, so am not a total newbie to them, but I just imagine there has to be a better solution out there these days. What do you use? Please include pics and any product info you can!!! I really like the idea of the Kanulock straps, but wonder how well they will work with gear boxes etc. instead of surfboards, kayaks and SUPs? I saw that one member uses them - anyone else? What length?

Last edited: