Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Unless it is one of your Arizona sudden flash floods... Just bring it up. I remember driving home from work and having streets around 19th Ave and Glendale being 3 ft deep in running water. :astonished:

Ok in the 57 Chevy Wagon but not the 63 VW Bug!
Been here since 1968 and I've seen a lot of monsoon flooding. But, there is a big difference between 3 feet of water and/or 5 or 6 feet of water.

Street flooding in AZ is easy to avoid if you use your head. Out in the desert you might need to wait a few hours for the water to recede in washes or river beds. :grinning:

Stop, Think, and then Decide. The decision you make will tell if your truck is "capable" or not.

Reactions: Daryl 32

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Have you read the opening post?!? It’s not that difficult.
Sorry you didn't get it.
Every vehicle is capable of its intended use. That's it.

And Kamaz are the best trucks, even better than Tatra

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

end of thread
Topless roadster sports car of overlanding. I left jeeps behind because:
-I've already done all of the east half of the US jeep roads, and prefer bikes in tight terrain instead now
-our off road parks and hardcore trails go in a circle. They don't travel anywhere. That's wheeling, not overlanding.
-prefer vehicle interiors that don't pee on me.
-the ruby has no cargo capacity at all. I'm only sleeping on the ground right now, because I haven't quite set aside $25k for a camper yet. jeeps are ground tent rigs. Anything else kinda sucks.
-my current overlanding is dirt roads and unimproved camp sites that a semi truck could fit down.
-jeeps suck at anything that a fullsize can do. If it fits, it ships.
-jeep hasn't made a decent engine since the 4.0 went away

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
-jeeps suck at anything that a fullsize can do.
that is very true. my wife has a sahara and i have a tundra. the jeep is very cramped and very noisy on the highway and i feel like i'm riding in an old mining cart going down rickety tracks when i'm in. the jeep is the grocery getter and the tundra does everything else. we travel and camp out of the tundra exclusively and when i get home, i can hook up my 24' dovetail trailer and pull my excavator with it...sure couldn't do that with a jeep. besides, i carry way more gear and fuel than a jeep and I can sleep in the back of the tundra and stretch out fully on a 6" memory foam mattress I have back there...sure ain't doing that in a jeep.

IMG_0203.JPG

Last edited:

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
that is very true. my wife has a sahara and i have a tundra. the jeep is very cramped and very noisy on the highway and i feel like i'm riding in an old mining cart going down rickety tracks when i'm in. the jeep is the grocery getter and the tundra does everything else. we travel and camp out of the tundra exclusively and when i get home, i can hook up my 24' dovetail trailer and pull my excavator with it...sure couldn't do that with a jeep. besides, i carry way more gear and fuel than a jeep and I can sleep in the back of the tundra and stretch out fully on a 6" memory foam mattress I have back there...sure ain't doing that in a jeep.

View attachment 138399
Wow, this is really getting weird. :grinning:

Two different vehicles built for two VERY different purposes.

With that said, it's great that you have the Tundra, it makes a superb recovery vehicle! :relieved::relieved::relieved:

Last edited:

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

have heard of Tatra, but not Kraz or Praga.
solid looking machines
spoiled it- whhhat? i thought it was about what's capable...
TATRA main inventor from 1921 was Czech engineer H.Ledwinka who invented "aircooled boxer engine located behind rear axle" (recall any simmilarities?) and fishbone frame with swing axles (recall any simmilarities?)

have a look - czeckish Tatra 805 from 1952 - have You heard on it?
and then find - austrian Pinzgauer 700-series from 1971 - famous, isn't it?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Wow, this is really getting weird. :grinning:

Two different vehicles built for two VERY different purposes.

With that said, it's great that you have the Tundra, it makes a superb recovery vehicle! :relieved::relieved:
Not so weird but smart. I have 3 rigs for three different purposes. One (F T 4 wheel drive Ford Escape) for DD and travel with a trailer (13' Scamp) use is for long hwy travel, little if any dispersed camping. A second rig for short trips in state (because of bad gas mileage) go ALMOST anywhere 1984 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 full size PU truck. The third ( Land Rover Disco 2) rig is for go anywhere, any distance, without trailer, short or long trips on mostly dirt roads and unmaintained trails and boon docking. The third is what I would call my meet up rig or go with the guys rig. Still working on all three one way or another and getting close to being able to put (hopefully # 3) them to work in stead of being lookie loos in my drive way. Oh yeah , # 4 is strictly yard and garbage truck, 1967 3/4 ton International LB work horse stump puller !
Having only one vehicle and asking it to handle everything, to me restricts what I can do to that vehicle.

Reactions: grubworm and Ralph

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TATRA main inventor from 1921 was Czech engineer H.Ledwinka who invented "aircooled boxer engine located behind rear axle" (recall any simmilarities?) and fishbone frame with swing axles (recall any simmilarities?)

have a look - czeckish Tatra 805 from 1952 - have You heard on it?
and then find - austrian Pinzgauer 700-series from 1971 - famous, isn't it?
That's cheating LOL

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Sorry you didn't get it.
Every vehicle is capable of its intended use. That's it.

And Kamaz are the best trucks, even better than Tatra
I get that, I do. Apparently you don’t understand what I’m asking. I’m not asking what VEHICLE is capable, I'm asking what features make a vehicle capable in YOUR OPINION. In the context of the opening post, people diss certain vehicle for not living up to the old one, even though the new one is as good or better in most off road stats. It provoked the thought, is there a minimum bar that people consider capable in an off road context? Therefore, I’m asking what you consider capable of what you will use it for.

Last edited:

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Only weird in the fact that the Jeep's wheeling capabilities were reduced to a grocery getter.

and that's fine........... its all about choices! :grinning:

Last edited:

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX

end of thread
Spoken like a true Jeeper...

They have to wave at each other because no one else can stand them.

All jokes aside, what makes this the end of the thread? Solid axles? Perfect wheelbase? Ground clearance? Lockers? Body on frame? Approach/departure angle? 2 speed transfer case?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

All jokes aside, what makes this the end of the thread? Solid axles? Perfect wheelbase? Ground clearance? Lockers? Body on frame? Approach/departure angle? 2 speed transfer case?
I'd vote for that, simplicity, reliability, serviceability. But for 2 people I'd vote for under 6K#. For a family of 5 definitely over 6K#. Perfect needs to tread lightly and perfect should mean economical to operate. A perfect for you might not meet that criteria but perfect for todays environment, economy, political, social, ..... needs, needs to consider more than just what is perfect for you.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Spoken like a true Jeeper...

They have to wave at each other because no one else can stand them.

I'd keep it if someone gave me one !

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Window stickers !! Window stickers add more horsepower to a truck than the OEM built into it.

Window stickers make a vehicle capable far beyond what was engineered into the truck.

It's true, trust me! :smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk: