Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Nice, we're at about ........... maybe, at best ............ 5' of water there.

We might be a bit backwards out here in Arizona, but we use boats for that kind of stuff. :grinning:
No you don't, most use inner tubes so that if they find water they can jump in to stay cool.
Proof of the pudding is when you see a pick up truck going down the road the bed is filled with aired up truck tubes and no one is wearing clothes ! :-)

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
QFT!

I think the future for all these JKUs is an LS swap.

Should be a reliable rig once that is done.
Everyone I have ever known, going way back to the 50's replaced the jeep engine for a sb chevy engine, same with the older jeep like Toyotas. Friends I had would put Ford six cylinder engines in the jeep wagons.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

In arriving at NO answer I think we've arrived at THE answer: the definition of "capable" will be different for each of us.
-TJ

No in this day and age everything has to have a label and classification so what we need to do is make 15 sub categories under capable that way we all can figure out what kind of capable we are talking about .......

Or just get out the door and go explore in whatever we have and enjoy the fact we get to live in places where traveling and exploring is even available to us , and spend a little less time squabbling over definitions of words .

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
No in this day and age everything has to have a label and classification so what we need to do is make 15 sub categories under capable that way we all can figure out what kind of capable we are talking about .......

Or just get out the door and go explore in whatever we have and enjoy the fact we get to live in places where traveling and exploring is even available to us , and spend a little less time squabbling over definitions of words .
Wow, I guess you missed the spirit in which this was asked. It wasn’t about creating a definition, it was me asking your thoughts about what works for you.
In arriving at NO answer I think we've arrived at THE answer: the definition of "capable" will be different for each of us.

-TJ
Um yes, it wasn’t about getting an answer. It was just a question, for the sake of discussion, about what you think.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Wow, I guess you missed the spirit in which this was asked. It wasn’t about creating a definition, it was me asking your thoughts about what works for you.

Um yes, it wasn’t about getting an answer. It was just a question, for the sake of discussion, about what you think.

I got what your original post was about . I was referring to what this post and sadly what a lot of post on the internet turns into , just a lot of internet quarterbacks turning even the most light hearted Discussion and do some sort of argument or one upping contest .

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I got what your original post was about . I was referring to what this post and sadly what a lot of post on the internet turns into , just a lot of internet quarterbacks turning even the most light hearted Discussion and do some sort of argument or one upping contest .
If you’re trying to defuse, don’t end with a mic drop...

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Spoken like a true Jeeper...

They have to wave at each other because no one else can stand them.

All jokes aside, what makes this the end of the thread? Solid axles? Perfect wheelbase? Ground clearance? Lockers? Body on frame? Approach/departure angle? 2 speed transfer case?

My FJ has all those minus front solid axle, but IFS is better in the desert so....../thread :smile:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Reactions: Daryl 32

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Nice roll cage. Does this sports rules require such a well designed and built cage. That's NASCAR quality.
Short answer is no class rule requirements. I built it because I thought I could and have always wanted to build a road race car. The build was a father son activity so Adam and I could do something together and then go out and play together. I want a little over board as it is a 14 point cage or more correctly a tube chassis fit inside an Uni-body chassis.

We have worked on it since 2009, more recently Adam has moved an 1.5 hours south to San Diego and has a Girl Friend.....

So it sits more then it use to.

But now we off-road camp together as a family, so it is all good except for the car just sitting. Very off topic - if you are interested here is a link to a build thread for the car.

blitzen1

Rank 0

Contributor I

Michigan
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Falsetta
lifted or not, there is always posers, but some people throwing out blanket statements how lifted trucks will break easier or whatever just don't ring true.
i myself think low pro's are the silliest thing to be mounted to a 4x4, just as bad as giant arse wings on cars, or snorkels on trucks, i have seen waaay more snorkels on the trail ripped off by trees than to actually see one 5 feet under water. (hollywood wheelers....)
driver capability is very important, but having a rig you don't have to beat on to get threw a hole goes a longer way. i dont have to hammer the throttle or bash threw a tough section at 50mph, i'm into "low & slow" wheeling, low gears, slow speed, way easier on your truck than "point & shoot" throttle mashed to the floor, which is how you pretty much have to do if you have smaller tires.
if you are having breakage probs, maybe you did'nt pick the right truck or right gear, throwing 37-38 inchers on a 1/2 ton or a midsize or smaller without extensive mods, is asking for probs. i can honestly say my 1 ton has never broke in the bush or left me stranded, the main diff being 1 ton gear CAN handle bigger stuff. build your rig wisely...
i never knock anybody's rig, stock, lifted, import, domestic- you don't know why they picked the truck they have. what may not work for me, may be totally fine for you. if you don't like something, do as mother says, if you got nothing constructive to say, don't flap your yap. assuming things because you "read about it online" just don't cut it.
like i said earlier, i belive it's just tire envy, or maybe some people just don't have the cajones or will to drop money on making your truck practically un-stoppable- don't criticize those of us that want to modify our trucks so they will go places (easier) where un-modified trucks fear to tread

Hi Rumbledawg, This has nothing to do with your post and everything to do with your avatar-what kind or breed of dawg is that? If this is not an allowable post please forgive and delete thanks

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Short answer is no class rule requirements. I built it because I thought I could and have always wanted to build a road race car. The build was a father son activity so Adam and I could do something together and then go out and play together. I want a little over board as it is a 14 point cage or more correctly a tube chassis fit inside an Uni-body chassis.

We have worked on it since 2009, more recently Adam has moved an 1.5 hours south to San Diego and has a Girl Friend.....

So it sits more then it use to.

But now we off-road camp together as a family, so it is all good except for the car just sitting. Very off topic - if you are interested here is a link to a build thread for the car.

I looked at your build, I can appreciate all that you did to your build because I too have built dirt track modified stock cars. You did a very professional job. Sorry your son cant participate any longer. Keep it up on your own, it will keep you young.

Reactions: Daryl 32

blitzen1

Rank 0

Contributor I

Michigan
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Falsetta
thanks...
he's a Labernese (labrador/bernese mountain dawg)
he just turned a yr old couple weeks ago, weighs 142lbs already. because of his young age, he is still a bit "dumb"
right now he is "recovering" from 14 stitches in his leg, slashed it somehow at the river last fri....
I asked cause he looks similar to my dog-he is a Boar Beisser, in the pic he just turned 3 he is about 110 lbs and has some serious speed to him. He runs like the wind and hits like a mac truck he is a predator defense dog and is good at his job. Thanks again!

Dave

Attachments