Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I have hands on experience with these:

Not capable in sand or anything soft. four wheel independent suspension no lockers, they love to get high center on one front wheel and opposite rear wheel. Sort-a of like watching some Subarus going up high. Not getting down on Subie's.

View attachment 138113

Pulled many of the above out of sand and mud with one of these loaded with a 250 plus pound radio and more gear

View attachment 138114

Never got stuck in one of these

View attachment 138115 View attachment 138117 View attachment 138118

These not as capable

View attachment 138119

As these

View attachment 138120

BUT ALL were CAPABLE at keeping me from humping these - 70 plus pound with no personnel gear. BUT my two feet took me places no vehicle could.

View attachment 138121
Ah Great ........... you had to bring feet into it! LOL :grinning: That's all fine and dandy until you break a leg.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Reactions: Daryl 32

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you define capable by what you do with your overlander.... this might be the winner.

"I guess just to prove that to be an Overlander you don't have to have a Toyota or Land Rover, this group from the Czech Republic decided to cross the continent of Africa in 2 Trabant 601 Universals. If you don't know what they are, they are a super cheap car, 2 cylinders, 2 stroke, front wheel drive and have a body made from plastic and old blue jeans. Oh, and 23 hp. Yes, 23 Horse Power. However they made the entire trip with only a few issues. The biggest mod was adding extra gas cans.
The video is available on Amazon Prime and is called Trabant goes to Africa. They show true Overlanding spirit."

Quoted from another Overlanders Post

trabant-601.jpg

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

I once took my '80 Honda Accord hatchback on a circumvent road around Wright's Lake in the Desolation Wilderness area in the Sierras. My son had to get out to spot me in a few areas, but...

In all honesty, I would've turned around and headed back but never ran across an area that was large enough to turn around in.

It was a nerve wracking but fun ride.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

the old dirt bikes reminded me of this video.... had to share
Fred Crosset on a day off

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If you define capable by what you do with your overlander.... this might be the winner.

"I guess just to prove that to be an Overlander you don't have to have a Toyota or Land Rover, this group from the Czech Republic decided to cross the continent of Africa in 2 Trabant 601 Universals. If you don't know what they are, they are a super cheap car, 2 cylinders, 2 stroke, front wheel drive and have a body made from plastic and old blue jeans. Oh, and 23 hp. Yes, 23 Horse Power. However they made the entire trip with only a few issues. The biggest mod was adding extra gas cans.
The video is available on Amazon Prime and is called Trabant goes to Africa. They show true Overlanding spirit."

View attachment 138176
I think that falls in the same category as Roadkill Garage.

Sure, you can drag some junker out of the rubbish heap and go road tripping with it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. It might be entertaining, but certainly not prudent.

Some of us have families and need to make more responsible choices than that. Particularly when it involves going off the beaten path.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah, anymore, I consider a good ride ............. is the one I don't fall down on.

I'm not as capable as I once was on two wheels. I just really like my dirt bike but .....................
I've been on a bike 2 times in my life, both times the driver wrecked it, the first time we almost lost our lives. Only a young man could have survived that wreck. I did ride a Vespa to work and back, back in the early 60's and I will swear that all the car drivers tried to kill me on that thing, It was all I could afford and I rode it for 2 years through over 600 days of terror.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 138176
I like it, it may get me further than my rig because I wouldn't challenge it vey much. It's a matter of will it or wont it do dat !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
in BC we have our own mini Rubicon, the Whipsaw trail. on the Whipsaw is a hill called Falcon hill.
why Falcon hill? three guys drove a stock 289/ C4 Falcon with studded tires over the trail 41 yrs ago.
yup they did it (barely) but it's still not what i would consider a capable overlander...nor would i really want to find out...
View attachment 138198View attachment 138199View attachment 138200View attachment 138201View attachment 138202View attachment 138203View attachment 138204
Hmmmmmmmmm I don't think I would try it in any 2 wheel drive, no lock diff 8" ford unit (possibly 4 lug axles), 3 speed auto tranny drive line. It might make it but it might not. The driver must have been very good. To make things worse it was a unibody with very flimsy front suspension. The best thing about it was a sweet little 289 hi revving (5000 rpm max) High for its day anyway.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
in BC we have our own mini Rubicon, the Whipsaw trail. on the Whipsaw is a hill called Falcon hill.
why Falcon hill? three guys drove a stock 289/ C4 Falcon with studded tires over the trail 41 yrs ago.
yup they did it (barely) but it's still not what i would consider a capable overlander...nor would i really want to find out...
View attachment 138198View attachment 138199View attachment 138200View attachment 138201View attachment 138202View attachment 138203View attachment 138204
Yes, but I see the Falcon had a bumper mounted spare tire.

And I think painted graphics give even more horsepower than stickers.

:tonguewink:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Probably he meant something like this: VOLVO BV-206
We have them for turists around Polish Mountains and Lake District Mazury
Okay. That is a capable vehicle. And with a trailer to boot.

Even looks like it would haul the whole family. And The Bride would be happy about not sleeping in a tent.

Where do I get one?

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Okay. That is a capable vehicle. And with a trailer to boot.

Even looks like it would haul the whole family. And The Bride would be happy about not sleeping in a tent.

Where do I get one?
no problem >Anak< private import from EU - there are companies in DE or PL or SE seling those with different engines. Cost like 30tEURO (35t$)

Last edited:

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Nice, we're at about ........... maybe, at best ............ 5' of water there.

We might be a bit backwards out here in Arizona, but we use boats for that kind of stuff. :grinning:
Unless it is one of your Arizona sudden flash floods... Just bring it up. I remember driving home from work and having streets around 19th Ave and Glendale being 3 ft deep in running water. :astonished:

Ok in the 57 Chevy Wagon but not the 63 VW Bug!