Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So a Duce isn’t capable, a HMMWV isn’t capable, a FTMV isn’t capable, but a dune buggy is? Hmmm I never drove a dune buggy through places I took all of these incapable rigs through sand, jungle, forest, ice, snow, over mountains, a crossed rivers, down trails that a Jeep would dream of going... yea I saw them all get stuck... my exact job was to get them unstuck... and my rig... the ultimate Overlanding rig..an M88 tracked vehicle recovery rig designed to pull the M1A1 Abrams out with. Why was the 88 on he Ultimate Overlanding rig in my opinion... sleeps a crew of 4 comfortably, had a built in cook stove (fire up the diesel heater boys), has a/c for the summer time that runs off the batteries) easy access ramp door. Main boom can be used for a hammock. It has more winches and cables, towbars and other self recovery gear than any other piece of equipment. No need to let the air out of the tires. there isn’t any terrain that it can’t cross, even a rice party is no match. And if this thing gets stuck, Just drop the spade and back on top of it, or use the spade to dig yourself out.

2EA28BA9-2F6A-47B4-9F78-341217481112.jpeg

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
So a Duce isn’t capable, a HMMWV isn’t capable, a FTMV isn’t capable, but a dune buggy is? Hmmm I never drove a dune buggy through places I took all of these incapable rigs through sand, jungle, forest, ice, snow, over mountains, a crossed rivers, down trails that a Jeep would dream of going... yea I saw them all get stuck... my exact job was to get them unstuck... and my rig... the ultimate Overlanding rig..an M88 tracked vehicle recovery rig designed to pull the M1A1 Abrams out with. Why was the 88 on he Ultimate Overlanding rig in my opinion... sleeps a crew of 4 comfortably, had a built in cook stove (fire up the diesel heater boys), has a/c for the summer time that runs off the batteries) easy access ramp door. Main boom can be used for a hammock. It has more winches and cables, towbars and other self recovery gear than any other piece of equipment. No need to let the air out of the tires. there isn’t any terrain that it can’t cross, even a rice party is no match. And if this thing gets stuck, Just drop the spade and back on top of it, or use the spade to dig yourself out.

View attachment 138030
I like it.

But you know that M88 will never catch on as an overlanding rig. No RTT. No bumper mounted spare tire. No aftermarket support at all.

OTOH, I would love to see the look on the faces of the HOA types when they see one of those parked on the street in their neighborhood.

Reactions: M Rose

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

then you must be blind.....
i would put this up against any stock jeep, landy, 'yota, chevy or dodge any day of the week, any time. you don't even need roads for this thing....
and there is waaay more than 1 k of quads and gear in the back. average atv is in the 7-800 lb range, i know, i have 3 of them.

your arguments are moot, do you not live in BC? ya know, the land of BIG trees. i have seen trucks bigger than this winch themselves out on good 'ol BC fir.
this truck is perfect for hauling out jeeps and what not when they get stuck or broke.
this truck will out haul, out tow, out climb, out mud hole any stocker- hands down, not even a contest.
what do you have against these kind of trucks? you seem to only like jeeps with tiny tires. you know, not everyone is really interested in getting 50 mpg's with their 4x4, that is not the only measure of gauging a truck's capabilty.
and ya, my dad's friend has a '52 deuce, he got it stuck once. was about 8 feet shy of making it threw a 5 foot mud hole, a hole that would have swallowed any kind of lesser rig, know how we got it out? buried the spare and winched it out.
just a question, how do you feel about a C500 Kenworth?
are you really going to tell me that it's not a capable off road rig? cause i got pictures of one where no truck has a right to be...
everything in its place,,, I still drive heavy trucks but not to get a quad to the trail head. And we never take a heavy truck in to look at a job. Not that I don't love heavy trucks just that they have their place..... in the case of this duece, it is the ahhh awwe woww factor. A guy in a Wrangler can leave you behind at the first switchback. And crossing a wash.... the Wrangler might tread lightly, that duece will destroy the watershed.

I love a good old C500. Actually drove one like this for a year. Until I got tired of the Alberta gumbo.

Oilfield-Services.jpg

everything has its place

Last edited:

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
Capability is highly subjective. I would consider a Toyota Tundra crew max 4x4 with a Diamond Back tonneau, removeable Victory 4x4 rack, Bilstein 6112 shocks to level it out and Cooper ST Maxx or AT3 XLT tires to be highly capable. I fish, hunt, shoot, camp and explore the backcounty.

My friend on the other, thinks it's pretty much useless. He prefers a GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Duramax diesel, 4x4 with a minum 6.5ft box, no cap or tonneau and whatever quality tire he can get for a good price. He does farm work, construction work, hauls heavy loads and tows heavy trailers.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Many years ago my father asked me why am I so fond of this off-roading.... "Because I can go places few only visited and see things few only ever saw" - I answered.
He just stopped for a second and said "buy yourself a tank"

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

or buy a Kamaz
wish they were sold over here, some pretty stout and capable trucks

M35 is not what i would call a heavy truck............. but hey, it helps keep the trails open
I must admitt - KAMAZ cars are well known in Eastern Europe and companies use them still today (new generations) saying that no other car can stand the same conditions.

Second lagendary russian brand with no competision in some application is KRAZ - they still use them in forestry here !!!

And finally famous TATRA and PRAGA from Czech Republic - inventor of "fish-bone frame" idea known later in austrian Pinzgauer

Looks like we have spoiled the thread

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
What switchback? I don't think I have a single one narrower than 2 full lanes within 800 miles of my current location.

Washes are no problem, and if the watershed covers the road, you can cross it to your hearts content. The Muskegun Watershed is flooded over a dozen roads in Coshochten County right now. You ain't hurting jack by driving across it. Plenty of mud and natural oils already stirred up by the river.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
I must admitt - KAMAZ cars are well known in Eastern Europe and companies use them still today (new generations) saying that no other car can stand the same conditions.

Second lagendary russian brand with no competision in some application is KRAZ - they still use them in forestry here !!!

And finally famous TATRA and PRAGA from Czech Republic - inventor of "fish-bone frame" idea known later in austrian Pinzgauer

Looks like we have spoiled the thread
No, we didn't spoil it.

We actually added some entertainment value to it! :grinning:

• Love
Reactions: Ralph and Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I have hands on experience with these:

Not capable in sand or anything soft. four wheel independent suspension no lockers, they love to get high center on one front wheel and opposite rear wheel. Sort-a of like watching some Subarus going up high. Not getting down on Subie's.

index.jpg

Pulled many of the above out of sand and mud with one of these loaded with a 250 plus pound radio and more gear

1963-usmc-willys-m170.jpg

Never got stuck in one of these

images.jpg images.jpg 200px-M35A2_with_winch.jpg

These not as capable

Shoe box.jpg

As these

70's amterk.jpg

BUT ALL were CAPABLE at keeping me from humping these - 70 plus pound with no personnel gear. BUT my two feet took me places no vehicle could.

440px-KY38Manpack.jpg