What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I got my headliner installed, and I think it doesn't look to terrible for 20$ of spray paint,

[/URL][/IMG]

Removed my broken front sun roof, and finally replaced it with one that came with the truck when I bought it and 3$ of sealant tape from the the homeless despot

KaptKarl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Columbus, OH, USA
Member #

I dropped the Excursion off at the diesel shop. With close to 250K on the clock, it needs some injectors and a little turbo work. Nothing too bad and will be back up and running tomorrow evening.

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Today my rover over heated on me for the first time, and I managed to fill it up with drinking water and limp it the 23 miles home with not enough coolant through traffic...

Lesson learned, going to start carrying some gallons of distilled water even for short trips, also maybe time for an engine rebuild at 186,000 miles and 21 years on the original engine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Today my rover over heated on me for the first time, and I managed to fill it up with drinking water and limp it the 23 miles home with not enough coolant through traffic...

Lesson learned, going to start carrying some gallons of distilled water even for short trips, also maybe time for an engine rebuild at 186,000 miles and 21 years on the original engine

LOL! I learned my lesson years ago w/ overheating Rover engines, though the BMW and Jag base motors are much less finicky than the classic Buick base V8.
Check your rad before anything else. It could probably benefit from a rodding or recore, especially if it's the original rad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

LOL! I learned my lesson years ago w/ overheating Rover engines, though the BMW and Jag base motors are much less finicky than the classic Buick base V8.
Check your rad before anything else. It could probably benefit from a rodding or recore, especially if it's the original rad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It caught me by surprise, the needle has never budged after reaching temp before, so as soon as it started climbing I noticed and didn't let her run any longer. I don't think that the radiator is my issue (Though I will certainly keep it in mind), I believe that the thermostat is the culprit considering I know it hasn't been replaced, the issue started very suddenly, and the upper radiator hose was stiff as a board. so maybe soon I will be posting on this thread about replacing my thermostat!

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

You're a true Landie owner now! Welcome to the club:) I like to carry premixed coolant instead of just distilled water. It will have a higher boiling point than plain water so it won't boil over as fast if the engine gets hotter. Water does have more thermal capacity than straight coolant, but the higher boiling point is more important with these engines. Plus, if you get the undiluted stuff (it's only a buck or two more than the premixed) you'll wind up with double the amount of coolant after you add your own water. If you carry the undiluted bottle in your truck, you may want to write 50/50 (or whatever your mix ratio is) so you don't forget and cut it again with water.

Do you know how hot it got? I assume the D1 has an overheat light like the D2. The temp needle starts to move from up the 3 o'clock position around 240*F and the light will turn on at 260*F. If the light doesn't go out, you have to use a Testbook/T4 to turn it off and the engine needs major servicing, if it isn't completely toasted.

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

You're a true Landie owner now! Welcome to the club:) I like to carry premixed coolant instead of just distilled water. It will have a higher boiling point than plain water so it won't boil over as fast if the engine gets hotter. Water does have more thermal capacity than straight coolant, but the higher boiling point is more important with these engines. Plus, if you get the undiluted stuff (it's only a buck or two more than the premixed) you'll wind up with double the amount of coolant after you add your own water. If you carry the undiluted bottle in your truck, you may want to write 50/50 (or whatever your mix ratio is) so you don't forget and cut it again with water.

Do you know how hot it got? I assume the D1 has an overheat light like the D2. The temp needle starts to move from up the 3 o'clock position around 240*F and the light will turn on at 260*F. If the light doesn't go out, you have to use a Testbook/T4 to turn it off and the engine needs major servicing, if it isn't completely toasted.
I just went out to take a look, and I don't believe the rover actually had a collent temperature light (at least none comes on with the warning light checks). However if I had to guess I would say it didn't run much past 230*-240* because I check the gauge pretty regularly and it was moving up when I saw it and turned off the truck, so I caught it pretty early. Also, knock on wood, but I don't believe there is any damage to the engine, because it's one of the early 3.9 V8's before they started boring them out farther and stroking them, so they have less issues with slipped liners and the like (part of why I got this over a D2 (no offence intended)). It also ran basically fine on the way back, minus the temperature being higher them normal, but still in the specified range.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I just went out to take a look, and I don't believe the rover actually had a collent temperature light (at least none comes on with the warning light checks). However if I had to guess I would say it didn't run much past 230*-240* because I check the gauge pretty regularly and it was moving up when I saw it and turned off the truck, so I caught it pretty early. Also, knock on wood, but I don't believe there is any damage to the engine, because it's one of the early 3.9 V8's before they started boring them out farther and stroking them, so they have less issues with slipped liners and the like (part of why I got this over a D2 (no offence intended)). It also ran basically fine on the way back, minus the temperature being higher them normal, but still in the specified range.

3.9/4.2s can be subject to porosity issues as well, though not as much as 4.6. I've never heard of a 3.5 w/ a slipped sleeve., but my 3.9 dropped the #5 sleeve. I now watch the temp gauge like a hawk. I'm prepared to turn the heater on, then pull over if that needle ever starts to rise above normal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sudingusnavy

Rank III

Contributor III

Corpus Christi, Texas
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Suding
Member #

Nothing fun all work. Changed the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, front diff fluid, and got the rear rotors cut due to being slightly warped. Also did the oil change and air filter. Now I'm ready for my snowboarding trip at Wolf Creek resort in Eden, Utah.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nothing fun all work. Changed the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, front diff fluid, and got the rear rotors cut due to being slightly warped. Also did the oil change and air filter. Now I'm ready for my snowboarding trip at Wolf Creek resort in Eden, Utah.
Got to love fluid changes!

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I fixed my cooling problem (Which might have been my fault in the first place oops!)

The old composite gasket from the thermostat (The original from the best I can tell)

The gasket I cut

While I was working on the cooling system I figured I would check as many boxes as possible, so I flushed the entire system, installed a new thermostat, carefully and tediously straightened the few bent veins in the radiator, checked all the fans and clutches, etc.

I discovered the issue probably had something to do with my not tightening up the hose clamp on the bottom hose tight enough when I replaced the water pump, leading to it slowly loosening till it leaked. I now use the "tighten till it seems tight, then go twice as tight" method (Patent Pending).

Reactions: 9Mike2

Drift

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midwest
First Name
DJ
Last Name
Drift
Member #

Went for a ride at the local offroad park. Testing out my buddies new setup on his Truck aka Brutus. He was pretty happy to say the least. We also had a his father following us in his bone stock '98 Tahoe. That thing blew our expectations out of the water. Let's just say it would be a great rig to setup for overlanding.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk