Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’ve been here before as well. Drilling and tapping was my plan “Y”... plan “Z” was to remove the intake manifold and hope no more bolts broke... I’m hoping and praying that I have the water leak and over heating problems fixed now.
You, and others who are messing with frozen/stuck bolts and end up with snapped bolts at times, may find this vid helpful:

I've used the technique on stuck parts and can vouch for it's effectiveness.

Reactions: 9Mike2

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Today's work was swapping the rear coils (again, 5th time... ugh.) from a metal cloak 3.5 to a 4.5 due to me killing the other set in like 9mo.

Planning how to attack this...
IMG_20210515_185357_118.jpg

dead 3.5 springs vs not dead 4.5 springs
IMG_20210515_185357_152.jpg

mocking up the new perches...
IMG_20210515_185357_174.jpg

new springs and perches in...

IMG_20210515_185357_195.jpg

Final results...
IMG_20210515_185357_018.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You, and others who are messing with frozen/stuck bolts and end up with snapped bolts at times, may find this vid helpful:

I've used the technique on stuck parts and can vouch for it's effectiveness.
I watched that a dozen times... tried the trick but it didn’t work. I have had luck in the past using Alphabet left handed drill bits just slightly smaller than the base of the threads. If the bolt didn’t catch, a dentist pick can turn out the remaining metal stuck in the threads... not in my case... they were the worst bolts I had ever seen...

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I watched that a dozen times... tried the trick but it didn’t work. I have had luck in the past using Alphabet left handed drill bits just slightly smaller than the base of the threads. If the bolt didn’t catch, a dentist pick can turn out the remaining metal stuck in the threads... not in my case... they were the worst bolts I had ever seen...
Too bad, Michael, sorry it's given you such a hard time. I was amazed how much better the Knock'Er Loose Plus worked on heat-stuck frozen bolts.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Too bad, Michael, sorry it's given you such a hard time. I was amazed how much better the Knock'Er Loose Plus worked on heat-stuck frozen bolts.
This bolt wasn’t “Heat-Stuck”... I should have taken a picture of the intake manifold... the bolt had completely decomposed and turned into some weird metal and bonded with the aluminum... the only steel was the bolt head itself.

Reactions: Sparksalot and Road

WolfCamp Offroad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, Tx USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Took a quick weekend trip to Fort Davis to see how the ZR2 handles off-road super impressed had a great time with the girl and our friends

Attachments

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Took all 5 kiddos on a little explore in the backcountry near our home and ended up finding someone's lost license plate as well as an epic hidden away camp/outdoor office spot.

I work from home doing database end user support, and I can work anywhere there is cell signal by tethering the laptop to the phone. I'm pretty stoked at finding this place.

Cheers all!

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Fabricated some chucks out of 1/8 aluminum for mounting on my Rhino Rack rails to hold an AluBox from lateral movement. The box is then held down with rubber straps from the box handles on opposite sides. Seems snug and secure but some trail tests will prove that for certain. I will be fabricating another aluminum sheet as a surface for a solar panel which will be riveted to the top of this box. All of the boxes will detach by just undoing the straps so I can remove them between our backcountry trips but I can leave them on top during the trip without the need to strap/unstrap like I do now with my dry bag roof storage setup. If this initial test works out I will be replacing all of the roof bags with boxes (except for the Gazelle tent) and two of those boxes will have solar panels for full time battery charging when the ignition is off and the sun is out.

3934A7EB-A47E-464A-8064-8D11700FCFEB.jpeg
FDA52DA0-D797-4FCF-8D01-99F7227E0BDD.jpeg

318462A9-C0BC-468A-868C-D7309410236C.jpeg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Day before yesterday I got the wifey to help test fit an ACME hard top that I drove 400 miles round trip in the XJ to pickup in Houston.

Needs a lot of cleaning plus one hole and a few small cracks patched but for 100 dollars I think I did well lol.

Jerryjones2012

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Duck Range, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Went out for a Sunday drive. We ended up finding a lot of snow still on the trip up the mountain. We turned a corner and found to people who had been stuck for quite awhile. They had destroyed one winch and broke the cable on the other. We spent about an hour and were able to get them both recovered. Although we didn’t finish the loop we wanted to due to the snow it was still a great day. We also got to meet some nice people.

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I installed my Tablet mount yesterday. It's setup nicely for our trips this year. I just purchased a set of LED fog light bulbs for our fog lights in the bumper. They switch between yellow light and white light when cycling on and off. I like that feature and I am installing them today. I will have some photos soon of that.

20210518_162841134_iOS.jpg20210518_164601885_iOS.jpg20210518_164410044_iOS.jpg