Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
A regional Jeep club here setup a sort of Taxi service for First Responders and Health Care Workers that either don't have the means or the comfort level to drive int eh snow/ice. I got the XJ out and picked up a dispatcher from work and took her home.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Only thing I did all day to my rig is check the solar panels on top of the RTT on my trailer to make sure they're still clear of snow and ice.

They feed my trailer's dual deep cycles through my NOCO Genius GEN2 in the trailer nosebox, then through my 7way keep my diesel van's dual batteries topped off all winter long.

I've only used one tank of fuel in all the last year, so the ol' gal isn't running much to keep the batteries up. I really appreciate having my panels and charging system in situations like this.

solarsnow-210213_4986-900.jpeg

I monitor the van batteries with an Innova 3721 Battery & Charging System Monitor, one of the best little inexpensive gadgets I own.
I have it in the 12v socket on the driver's side of the center console 24/7, tilted so I can check it from the window without opening the door.

innova-batterymonitor_5008-700.jpeg

Before leaving the van hooked to the trailer and solar panels every time it's parked, I'd have to put a 110 charger on it every once in a while, summer or winter, to bring up the batteries enough to crank that big Duramax.

innova-batterymonitor_5007-700.jpeg

It's become part of my daily routine; every time I go outside I peek in the window, day or night, to see how she's doing.

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Recently installed an Ironman4x4 awning on my JLUR, just received the quick release brackets for it but we had around 10 inches of snow so haven't set it up yet.

I am getting my 2003 TJ ready to sell. It's in my garage so I was able to get some stickers and decals off to clean it up. I also ordered a fuel filler neck as the current one leaks and is causing an evap code. I don't want to try selling it with any issues or codes and this should be a simple fix.

Reactions: Ubiety

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Played taxi for some neighbors who can't get their cars started or moved. And I'm tracking orders for parts for The Beast that should arrive by the weekend. A receiver hitch and recovery point have been order for the wife's CRV. I hate snow and winter. I'm still waiting for spring,
.rig.png

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Drove across town to take a friend to the store. Her soccer-mobile is buried in snow and ice and her apartment complex failed to plow. The Beast enjoyed the trail breaking through the parking lot which helped the Fed-Ex guy get in and out of the lot without issue.

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
I fixed a valve stem issue, changed the oil, and had the idler arm and pitman arm replaced on my rig, along with an alignment done today. Dusted off my paramedic skills (retired for 3 years) on an older gentleman who split his head open on the lift gate of his SUV in the middle of the Big Box parking lot. Now I gotta restock the trauma kit. Tomorrow is supposed to be 40 degrees, I'll get the rig washed and install my OB emblem.

Reactions: Slambo1 and Ubiety

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I finally got around to putting in a new mount for the Lagun table on the passenger seat base of the Sprinter.

Now, when the seat is facing rearward, I have a place to put my beer, dinner, a book, etc.

The Lagun tables are great. They are made for boats, and have a double pivot design that allows you to move and swivel them in just about any direction.

The mount design was copied from a post on the Sportsmobile Forum:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post258334

I used 4"x4"x1/4" extruded aluminum angle, and cut the mount out of that. Then the Lagun mounting plate is bolted to the aluminum mount. The vertical post of the table slides up and down on the mounting plate.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

The aluminum angle has a thick corner that gives extra rigidity to the mount.

I used roughly the same dimensions as in the other post referenced above, but had to relieve the lower corner to clear the wall of the van.

The hardest part was making sure everything was plumb when I bolted it up.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Made an insurance claim. Was rear-ended at a stop sign in Santa Nella CA Friday eve. The Toyota Sequoia that hit me took a bit of damage from my trailer hitch receiver as it rode over the bumper and into their grill, sending me leapfrogging into the intersection. Kinda glad for the budget boost lift, it was just enought in this instance!
Made the claim more as a "cover my assets" than anything else, but you never know if there is hidden damage on the unibody. With luck all is fine and I get a new bumper skin. We shall see. FYI- Hwy 88 and 89 are just gorgeous right now with the snow.

Jeep Bumper.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: 9Mike2 and Ubiety

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
75 degree day. Pulled the top off and took the kids out for a backroad cruise and swung by one of the city parks on the way home so they could play. Then went though Sonic for their dinner treat.

THat boy could sleep though anything.