Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I'm chasing a high-speed driveline vibration. Today the XJ got a new rear driveshaft. That took care of 60% of it. A new front driveshaft is on the way. Hopefully, that will take care of the rest of it. I guess the 265k miles are taking their toll.

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Today, I removed the OBDII bluetooth scanner I installed yesterday. It kept activating the anti-theft system. I plugged it in and it wouldn't start. Unplug it, and no problems.. Time for a different one.

• Sad
Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
If you decide to go hunting scumbags, I'm willing to help.
I have a good idea of who the scumbag is, and I’m waiting for him... The local authorities are also aware of the situation and are looking into it... I’m not the only one in the neighborhood who has had their stuff messed with the past week or so. Luckily I live in a very tight neighborhood and since we know weird strange stuff is going on we are looking harder for anything out of the ordinary... I hate to be a new food delivery driver entering the area... lol.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Used the XJ to pick up a M416 trailer. Going to do a semi-restore. Basically wirewheel/flap wheel it down and recoat/paint, new tires, lights ect. Want to keep it mostly like it would have been when it rolled off the line in the 60s. Just going to haul camping gear and be a light duty around the property work trailer for the CJ5 and XJ.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Not today but since I have taken time to post. Finished up the front bumper and winch install, received and installed the canopy then went forth and found some snow with @Ties. Have load bars for the canopy sitting in the garage waiting for something to hang on them; waiting on a couple round LED offroad lights to decorate the front bumper.

C42C8D8F-50C7-4095-81E8-B8B52B4E417E_1_105_c.jpegE029897B-3CE2-4E2B-8F15-44D7461D89DC_1_105_c.jpeg

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Drivetrain vibration problem solved. The joints on the old shaft didn't have any play in them and were smooth. Either the shaft was slightly bent or out of balance. It's smooth as silk to 80 mph now.
Next up will be engine and transmission mounts when I change the engine.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Drivetrain vibration problem solved. The joints on the old shaft didn't have any play in them and were smooth. Either the shaft was slightly bent or out of balance. It's smooth as silk to 80 mph now.
Next up will be engine and transmission mounts when I change the engine.

I had a strange high frequency vibe around 30-35 that I couldn't track down. I know my front shaft had a slightly worn slip joint but when I removed the front shaft the high speed vibes were gone but that 30-35 vibe was still there. Bit the bullet and ordered up 2 Tom Woods shafts and now everything is glass smooth again.

Today

Got the bent lip of the trailer tub mostly straightened out with the hilift a couple of clamps, a 2x6 and a cinderblock. Got the fenders bashed back straightish. Even the one with the badly rolled edge. And got the tub off the frame.
Not going to worry about a few dents or it not being perfectly straight. Just a few testaments to it's 54 years on Earth.