Rank I

Member I

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
S
Member #

I threw in a Decked system this week, removed my backseats and rigged up a floor for the doggies and everything else. I tossed in a switch-pros 9100s also. I have an RCI 12" rack on the way so, I'll get after it right away. I'm also putting a sway-bar on the rear tomorrow for all the camper hauling we do. . . fabricate some quick disconnect links for when I need more articulation. At the end of the summer I'm getting RCI sliders and getting rid of those awful steps, they will be free if anyone wants them. Later this year, I'll be swapping out the rear springs with a new pack. Thats it for the rest of 2020. Next year, the 4Runner will get a gear makeover :)
FD0E7963-7710-4342-A8D5-AF204B51F46B_1_201_a.jpeg057DA737-B599-41C1-AE93-12A89B11AADB_1_201_a.jpeg4A8D7CDA-3E67-4FE6-B552-C1EC2D0F2BAF_1_201_a.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The stock bumper will move out about 2”, but it didn’t fit snuggly to the frame to begin with.
The bar I’m holding in my hand attaches to the winch cradle allowing me to bolt the cradle through the sides of the frame as well as the bottom of the frame. I’m probably going to bolt it all together, then have my brother weld the critical pieces together.
Well I must be a mind reader because that was my thinking too. It needs the side plates and I can see where you would need bumper spacers to bring it out forward or else notch the bumper out around the winch plate and push it back to the frame. Maybe even welding the bumper to the winch plate side bars looks possible. You'll get er done, I am sure of that.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well I must be a mind reader because that was my thinking too. It needs the side plates and I can see where you would need bumper spacers to bring it out forward or else notch the bumper out around the winch plate and push it back to the frame. Maybe even welding the bumper to the winch plate side bars looks possible. You'll get er done, I am sure of that.
I shouldn’t need to weld it to the bumper... the bumper isn’t stout enough to even get a decent pull off of... the plan is to make the side bars poke through the bumper... and the bumper has a lot of adjustment for up, down, and side to side... I’m sure I will get the bumper back on without needing to make the winch plate stick through... Besides, I need to bring the winch out to reach the controls. Hopefully the next set of pictures will show this.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Just got off the phone with my brother... he says it might be a week or so before he can get to my project... ohh well, at least the winch will be mounted, and I have many other projects to tackle over the next few weeks.

Thinking hard on getting the engine refreshed and have the ZF5 rebuilt before it goes in. Might also look into the transfer case doubler at this time as well since I need new drive shafts any ways for the 5 speed swap.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Finishing my morning cup of coffee, then heading to the part store to get the “correct” bolts for my winch install. I remember being a new parts counter clerk so I will go easy on the kid. He need to learn when people bring in wire stuff not to be in the mind set of “we don’t have it”, and look at the alternatives. Ask questions, if they don’t have the correct bolt, there is always Fastenall down the road.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Finishing my morning cup of coffee, then heading to the part store to get the “correct” bolts for my winch install. I remember being a new parts counter clerk so I will go easy on the kid. He need to learn when people bring in wire stuff not to be in the mind set of “we don’t have it”, and look at the alternatives. Ask questions, if they don’t have the correct bolt, there is always Fastenall down the road.
You don't really think today's youth have the ability to think do you ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You don't really think today's youth have the ability to think do you ?
Nope... I really dislike dealing with this kid... he has never once been able to get me the correct part... even told me once that the 1515 oil filter I wanted wasn’t going to work on my Bronco.... hmm for used that filter for 3 decades on the 300 six, 302 and 351w along with I don’t know how many other engines... well I’m off to the store.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well, since the parts guy sold me the wrong bolts last night, I tried to drill the holes in my winch cradle... but I was off 1/4” due to the 1/2” gap between the plate and the frame.... long story short nothing lines up any more and my $75 piece of steel is garbage... broke two 1/2” drill bits trying to fix the hole. So option 1- use what I got and just weld it solid to the frame. Or option 2, buy a new piece of channel and wait a week for it to show up in the next steel shipment.

D5AC0612-03B8-45CC-A0E9-84F6BD824EBA.jpeg06A8113B-587E-421C-B59B-80A8B327C499.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well, since the parts guy sold me the wrong bolts last night, I tried to drill the holes in my winch cradle... but I was off 1/4” due to the 1/2” gap between the plate and the frame.... long story short nothing lines up any more and my $75 piece of steel is garbage... broke two 1/2” drill bits trying to fix the hole. So option 1- use what I got and just weld it solid to the frame. Or option 2, buy a new piece of channel and wait a week for it to show up in the next steel shipment.

View attachment 164046View attachment 164047
Get the holes welded up and redrill. Paying a welder is a lot cheaper than buying a new piece and frame welding sucks.

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
It's not perfect but it works. Patched my soft top tonight. Layed some tape down, stitched with waxed thread, that taped over to seal again ( more...) Chances are in the next few weeks in will get peeled off my a tree anyway but I can enjoy my AC while the hole is patched

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I added another one to the garage.

73 CJ5. 304 V8, T15 3 speed manual, and Dana 20 transfercase. It needs some TLC but will run and drive

It's going to slowly make its way back to a more stock condition.

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Get the holes welded up and redrill. Paying a welder is a lot cheaper than buying a new piece and frame welding sucks.
I’m taking it over to Mike D (@PNW EXPLR ) on Tuesday and see what he recommends... either way works for me... I would almost rather it welded to the frame because of the amount of force I put on my winch.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I added another one to the garage.

73 CJ5. 304 V8, T15 3 speed manual, and Dana 20 transfercase. It needs some TLC but will run and drive

It's going to slowly make its way back to a more stock condition.
When I purchased my Bronco, I almost stole a ‘70 CJ5 with a 304 for $1000... it was easily worth $4000... unfortunately it was 2 days before my tax return came back. :(

• Wow
Reactions: Downs