Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
This morning I got up and busted out a few hours of work getting the interior ripped out and a few other odds and ends removed like the home made roll bar and the rotting windshield frame. One of the POs did some "interesting" wiring on the Jeep. Should be a fun project and not too much effort to get back into decent shape. Biggest stuff I think is going to be the rust repair of the floor board and rocker panels.

End goal is to get it back pretty close to stock.

Last night when I shoehorned it into the garage.

Janky previous owner wiring

That's 3 self tappers in the frame to ground a set of LED podlights :(

Lift shackles. Those are going away and the suspension will get a full rebuild.

Previous owner wiring to make the LEDs work

Windshield frame rot

Most of the interior out. I pulled the roll bar and wheel well carpet right after this photo. Roll bar definitely looks home built/welded.

Passenger floorboard rot

Driver's side not as holey but still kind of bad.

Tried to salvage the windshield and botched the removal.

Shedding rust from messing with the windshield frame

It had some diamond plate rocker covers riveted in place. I drilled the rivets and found what I expected. Same spot on both sides.

Underhood the wiring is a bit of a mess and the airhorns are going bye bye. Powertrain is AMC 304 V8, T15 3 spd manual, Dana 20 Transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and Dana 30 front. The transmission needs an overhaul, it won't stay in first gear unless you hold the shifter in place. And the Transfer case has a pretty stout leak from the rear output seal. I'll probably overhaul it as well while I have the transmission out.

Edit- Also noticed one of the previous owners not only welded a bullbar to the stock bumper but also welded supports from the bull bar DIRECTLY TO THE FRAME. Ugh. On top of that the winch mount is a piece of C channel welded to the crossmember then the winch was half assedly bolted to that piece of channel. I'm going to burn up a few cut off wheels getting this mess apart.

Remington_Johnson

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Remington
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Don’t know if anyone of you have tried one of the seat rail Ram Mounts. But I’ve recently got one and so far it’s awesome. And super sturdy.

Attachments

Reactions: Shamu

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Installed a harness bar, mounted a fire extinguisher on a quick release, mounted a basket in the back for more mounting option, and wired up a third brake light finally.

Attachments

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Today was finish the tire change over by remounting and lengthening the fenders. I bought a new Axle in March so I could run the same wheels and tires as my Jeep. The old tires were 205/75R15 trailer tires. The new, 7.50R16.

Axle 001.jpeg

We cut the old fenders off, used some 2x2 tube to move the fender out, cut the fender in 2 and added a 5" filler.

Axle 002.jpg

Pretty much a perfect fit. Next job will be stripping and painting the whole trailer. Then slide in the OSB BOX and get outta town.

Axle 004.jpeg

That 2x2 tube will be perfect for storing the awning poles.

Last edited:

casey

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Concord, CA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Spent the weekend at Sawmill Lake, Tahoe NF. Fourth night in the new-to-me RTT this week. Home now and planning for the next trip.

Attachments

Reactions: PNWInfernoPro

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Out with the old and in with the new awesomeness. @Agency6 fair lead, with pre drilled spots for Go Pro mounts and they're brand new winch link. Actual name is forthcoming.

All Agency6 Llc products are manufactured here in Roseville, California. They're products extremely durable, very nice looking and reasonably priced. Check out they're full line of products at www.agency6.com.

BD8ABD60-A570-46A5-B081-D931972D17FC.jpeg1966F691-DCF7-4B40-BE37-A0E82C1D9202.jpeg7C3BE6DF-2156-4959-8CB7-57A484DD1AC5.jpegD05EDAF2-3756-4CAD-96F5-CE0811CC102C.jpegF7E4C626-EF44-486A-BAA1-356751B24295.jpegD1AE161C-8A93-4E6E-BE2C-E640BD4906C8.jpeg

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

I swapped out my key lug nuts for normal lug nuts on my Tacoma. Hopefully, no one steals my wheels!

Having keyed lug nuts on your 4x4 was brought during one of my local 4x4 group meetings. The bottom line is if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and you have to change a tire, you want to minimize the issues you may have. For instance losing your key. Also, I guess there have been cases of vehicle roll overs where tools, including the key flying out of the vehicle. Anyways, since that discussion it has been on my mind so, I made the change.

What does the Overland Bound hive think about this?