Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Yesterday I completed a solar power install on top my pop-up camper, using a SunflareSolar flexible panel and a Victron charge controller. The Victron controller powers a Powerworx PWRbox with an automotive 12V socket and two USB ports. Everything works.
The Victron controller has a smartphone app too.

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's a truly hidden winch, cause I don't even see where the winch cable comes out of. That's amazing!
It comes out behind the license plate... or will... I haven’t installed the winch yet because I have to relocate the solenoids, right now they are hitting my air conditioning condenser. Also I have transmission cooler lines in the way.

I looked he over real good last night, no damage done by the belt flying through the engine compartment at Mach 90. So next week I’ll order up a few parts and start tearing into her to see if I did any internal damage. My dad is suggesting I just take it to a shop and get the engine rebuilt for a piece of mind and replace all the common failure parts on the exterior of the engine at this point in time... I might just take him up on this advice.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It comes out behind the license plate... or will... I haven’t installed the winch yet because I have to relocate the solenoids, right now they are hitting my air conditioning condenser. Also I have transmission cooler lines in the way.

I looked he over real good last night, no damage done by the belt flying through the engine compartment at Mach 90. So next week I’ll order up a few parts and start tearing into her to see if I did any internal damage. My dad is suggesting I just take it to a shop and get the engine rebuilt for a piece of mind and replace all the common failure parts on the exterior of the engine at this point in time... I might just take him up on this advice.
Your dad is a wise man! I saw the pictures of the fab work for the winch, then the bumper, then was like, where's the hole for the cable lol. He's doing some kind of magic out there.

Reactions: M Rose and grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yesterday I completed a solar power install on top my pop-up camper, using a SunflareSolar flexible panel and a Victron charge controller. The Victron controller powers a Powerworx PWRbox with an automotive 12V socket and two USB ports. Everything works.
The Victron controller has a smartphone app too.
That's a nice install and very clean. Personally I prefer free standing solar portable panel or panels so that I dont have to park my rig in the sun.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

That's a nice install and very clean. Personally I prefer free standing solar portable panel or panels so that I dont have to park my rig in the sun.
Yes, Lanlubber me too. My rig also includes a 500W Jackery with the 100W Jackery solar panel. The rooftop solar panel is so I can charge while driving.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
finished the battery box for my camper shell....plywood box to fit in front of wheel well with a 35ah agm battery, usb ports, 12v recepticle, and ext cord to power the switch box in the shell which has switches for lights, onboard water pump, ext lights and 12v fan. everything including the battery and lights prob came in right at $100. not bad. now i'm set up to take the truck camping in places i couldn't take my trailer. also...wife pisses me off, i have options! :grinning:

View attachment 164933View attachment 164934

View attachment 164935
Spam?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes, Lanlubber me too. My rig also includes a 500W Jackery with the 100W Jackery solar panel. The rooftop solar panel is so I can charge while driving.
I had forgotten about that possibility because I ultimately want my rig to have a second battery that is charged with the rigs alternator going down the road. I have everything that is needed but have yet to install my solar system for my rig.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
yes indeed! here is a link that will get you up to speed.....:grinning:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Changed the gearbox oil today. Servicing intervall is 200k km. Did the first one at 180k km and thought it cannot hurt with 315k km on the clock now. :blush:

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Started to change my oil pressure sending unit on my XJ. Found out the one in the Jeep is bigger then the new one. Will have to finish it tomorrow after I get a bigger socket.

Reactions: El-Dracho

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Good looking box (and Spam lol).
i got a lot of the inspiration from your set up you posted a while back...
Blacked out the rims to match the hood and grill. All done with Plasti-dip just to see if I liked the look. If it actually lasts awhile all the better. Plus you can recoat with little effort. (I did wet sand the grill first and spray the grill and rims with pre-etching primer before coating).

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Blacked out the rims to match the hood and grill. All done with Plasti-dip just to see if I liked the look. If it actually lasts awhile all the better. Plus you can recoat with little effort. (I did wet sand the grill first and spray the grill and rims with pre-etching primer before coating).
What a difference a color makes! Looks great!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Personally I prefer the lighter color on the light colored rigs for some strange reason, but I'm weird anyway !

Reactions: grubworm

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
yes indeed! here is a link that will get you up to speed.....:grinning:

I just shake my head. My stepdad was stationed in Alaska in very earlier 60s (62 - 66). I was 3 when we got there and 7 when we left. Meat was so high that Spam was the meat of choice. Along with powdered milk.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I just shake my head. My stepdad was stationed in Alaska in very earlier 60s (62 - 66). I was 3 when we got there and 7 when we left. Meat was so high that Spam was the meat of choice. Along with powdered milk.
I was in Alaska in 1953. A hamburger and milk shake cost $3.00, in the lower 48 the cost was $0.50. I made $89.00 a month. Another interesting comparison is that a dime a dance girl in Sacramento ca. was $0.10, in Alaska they were $1.00 a dance. Most military single guys were broke after one night in the city and had to stay on base until the next pay day a month away. A tour of duty was 2 years even in war time.

• Haha
Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I was in Alaska in 1953. A hamburger and milk shake cost $3.00, in the lower 48 the cost was $0.50. I made $89.00 a month. Another interesting comparison is that a dime a dance girl in Sacramento ca. was $0.10, in Alaska they were $1.00 a dance. Most military single guys were broke after one night in the city and had to stay on base until the next pay day a month away. A tour of duty was 2 years even in war time.
Heck nothing changed I served 1979 to 1983 and a lot of guys were broke after the first night. There was a pawn shop right outside of the fort and every payday they would have a pig picken (regional BBQ term) charge guys 20% to cash their military checks.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Heck nothing changed I served 1979 to 1983 and a lot of guys were broke after the first night. There was a pawn shop right outside of the fort and every payday they would have a pig picken (regional BBQ term) charge guys 20% to cash their military checks.
Businesses really rip off the G.I's. (not just Alaska) We didn't get pay checks ,we got paid in cash. I have never seen a military base that didn't have 50 pawn shops right after you leave base. Vultures all !!

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Businesses really rip off the G.I's. (not just Alaska) We didn't get pay checks ,we got paid in cash. I have never seen a military base that didn't have 50 pawn shops right after you leave base. Vultures all !!
And the sad part they would be packed every payday. Got paid cash in Basic, AIT, Jump school and the first few months at permeant duty station.

Apache88

Rank I

Member I

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
S
Member #