Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Built some pins so that my truck can have a quick disconnect front sway bar. Overall I feel like they turned out pretty good.

View attachment 134472

And the end links are from Stryker Off-road Design.
What clearance did you use between pin OD and end link ID? I've been tossing the same approach around for my WJ and would consider it a personal success if there is no (or very infrequent) knocking when connected.

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

What clearance did you use between pin OD and end link ID? I've been tossing the same approach around for my WJ and would consider it a personal success if there is no (or very infrequent) knocking when connected.
I believe the bushings Stryker used for the heims on the end link are around a 3/8s bolt. I got lucky and found some old parts for a cultivator that was laying around my shop and just happened to be a perfect fit. And I haven’t heard a single noise from the end links since adding the pins.

Reactions: JimBill

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks, those steps are in the plan before I go live - off road.
:-) my son bought a new Suburban, ran out and put big tires on it and took me to the sand hills. The first hill approach wiped out the spoiler first thing. A stump took out his running board 10 minutes later. Wheel base was to long to benefit from big tires.

My LRD2 has way too much Lower frontal area as well, even with a 2" lift. I'm building an off road bumper that will give me @ least 8" more clearance for the approach angle.
good luck w/ your build.

Auburn Buck

Rank 0

Contributor I

Auburn
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Watts
:-) my son bought a new Suburban, ran out and put big tires on it and took me to the sand hills. The first hill approach wiped out the spoiler first thing. A stump took out his running board 10 minutes later. Wheel base was to long to benefit from big tires.

My LRD2 has way too much Lower frontal area as well, even with a 2" lift. I'm building an off road bumper that will give me @ least 8" more clearance for the approach angle.
good luck w/ your build.
Thank you . I do appetite the thoughts and experiences you went through. Although i intend mostly to be on the high desert backroads in Nevada outside Fallon, I do expect to remove those dangling down items. I also do worry that the Crew Cab i have gives me too long of a wheelbase for good riding. even with the air dam and other stuff off. I am reading and learning.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thank you . I do appetite the thoughts and experiences you went through. Although i intend mostly to be on the high desert backroads in Nevada outside Fallon, I do expect to remove those dangling down items. I also do worry that the Crew Cab i have gives me too long of a wheelbase for good riding. even with the air dam and other stuff off. I am reading and learning.
Your wheel base should give you a Cadillac ride. Short wheelbase rigs can beat you up on long trips. Most of us have smaller rigs and smaller wheel base because of the narrow and tight turns on the fireroads and trails that get little travel and no maintenance. Also because the roads we travel are pretty sketchy, steep, rocky and sometimes crossing some pretty deep rivers or streams.

It would surprise you how many people do have big full size rigs on the trails, but they are modified to be able to handle the barriers. You have to do it before you will realize all your needs. It's a slow process getting everything you will need and want. You'll be okay with your rig because it's a very capable rig in stock form. I love Ford's but I haven't had one for awhile. I was looking for a Bronco when I found my Land Rover Discovery 2 and fell in love with the old girl.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Your wheel base should give you a Cadillac ride. Short wheelbase rigs can beat you up on long trips. Most of us have smaller rigs and smaller wheel base because of the narrow and tight turns on the fireroads and trails that get little travel and no maintenance. Also because the roads we travel are pretty sketchy, steep, rocky and sometimes crossing some pretty deep rivers or streams. It would surprise you how many people do have big full size rigs on the trails, but they are modified to be able to handle the barriers. You have to do it before you will realize all your needs. It's a slow process getting everything you will need and want !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah I know but what can I do. I love the truck just not wheel wells
Normally Chevy has some of the best wheel openings. I am a symetric person and when I see something that's not symetric it just sends chills through me.
It wouldn't bother me if I was not a designer by trade. It's not even the shape so much as the width of the opening looks to be too small compared to the height of the opening. On the other hand I love the frontal area on the chevy and the overall looks. So dont mind what I say because when I like something as you do I dont give a cats ass what anyone else thinks. My Land Rover has this big roof top bulge on the back that irks the hell out of me as far as looks (looks like a baby diaper full of sh- - ) but when I crawl in the back I am thankful of the extra 4-5 inches of height.

Reactions: eagle_A40

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just took off my roof basket. I’ll put it on when I need it. Don’t need the extra weight and wind resistance lol. Now it doesn’t shout out as much, hey I overland look at me!

View attachment 134618

View attachment 134619

With roof basket.
View attachment 134620
I don't look at trucks and think anything about them unless they are on the road or on the trails. I don't think anyone else does either. A truck is built to carry things of all sorts so why would anyone give you a second thought because of a roof rack ? The only reason I take mine off is the car wash equipment doesn't like it too much and it get cleaner when washed without it. I cant hand wash anymore so I have to take it to a car wash. :-) Good looking truck by the way !