Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I tried to swap out the King 550lb springs on my coilovers to 450lb springs. I then realized the typical strut spring compressor won't fit between the coils of my springs. So after playing with bailing wire and ratchet straps for awhile I decided I'm too young to die so I took them to a local 4x4 shop and they swapped them for me for $65. Thanks WFO Concepts.

I reinstalled the coilovers with about 4 threads showing but after a test drive I found the front end was still sitting at 39"+ with the driver side at almost 40"! I had removed all the weight I had bolted to my skid plate (100lbs+-) but it's now sitting slightly higher than the 550lb springs and extra weight. :unsure: It drove great, however! After checking droop, which is same as before, I decided to reduce preload as far as I can and I'll test it out tomorrow. My goal is to increase droop (down travel) and increase ride quality.

I'm stoked to still get the height I want from this relatively low spring rate and the ride is even better than before. The non-stoke part is I went with cheap springs and they are plain silver instead of King blue. lol
082020173350.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
After playing around making that discada/skottle i decided it was finally time to fix the driver's side oil leak and install new plugs and wires.

View attachment 134353
Looks like a nightmare to me. I hate modern engines and how complicated they have made everything. You dun good man !

Reactions: RoarinRow

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Had to go break in the new coilover springs so I can do the final adjustment before getting an alignment. There were plenty of smaller but deeper puddles that flexed the suspenion. This one was better for video.

I generally take puddles slow. You never know what's inside.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Had to go break in the new coilover springs so I can do the final adjustment before getting an alignment. There were plenty of smaller but deeper puddles that flexed the suspenion. This one was better for video.

I generally take puddles slow. You never know what's inside.

Looks like fun! You're so lucky you live so close/closer to the mountains to test out your rig. Only open space near me is Walmart lol.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Looks like fun! You're so lucky you live so close/closer to the mountains to test out your rig. Only open space near me is Walmart lol.
Walmart has some pretty gnarly landscaping you could flex on. :smilingimp:

Speaking of which. Aren't you supposed to come and play in the snow with me so we can teach you what not to do? :)

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Walmart has some pretty gnarly landscaping you could flex on. :smilingimp:

Speaking of which. Aren't you supposed to come and play in the snow with me so we can teach you what not to do? :)
I’ll need a bigger lift for the Walmart lots lol.

Ideally it would be great if someone with experience drove my truck off-road and provided their feedback. My limited prospective won’t help me much. But I’m ok with shadowing others and taking mental notes. Gotta learn...

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Ideally it would be great if someone with experience drove my truck off-road and provided their feedback. My limited prospective won’t help me much. But I’m ok with shadowing others and taking mental notes. Gotta learn...
We can trade back and forth on the trail.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ain't nothin to it but to do it!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 134478Step one toward a mild vehicle for use in high desert canyons and off system roads. Leveler plus Grenade rims and Nitto Ridge tires.
I'd scrap the spoiler and running boards fast. Otherwise I like your truck from what I can see.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I tried to swap out the King 550lb springs on my coilovers to 450lb springs. I then realized the typical strut spring compressor won't fit between the coils of my springs. So after playing with bailing wire and ratchet straps for awhile I decided I'm too young to die so I took them to a local 4x4 shop and they swapped them for me for $65. Thanks WFO Concepts.

I reinstalled the coilovers with about 4 threads showing but after a test drive I found the front end was still sitting at 39"+ with the driver side at almost 40"! I had removed all the weight I had bolted to my skid plate (100lbs+-) but it's now sitting slightly higher than the 550lb springs and extra weight. :unsure: It drove great, however! After checking droop, which is same as before, I decided to reduce preload as far as I can and I'll test it out tomorrow. My goal is to increase droop (down travel) and increase ride quality.

I'm stoked to still get the height I want from this relatively low spring rate and the ride is even better than before. The non-stoke part is I went with cheap springs and they are plain silver instead of King blue. lol
View attachment 134352
You might get lucky and the springs settle to where you want. When I did the coil over on the Tahoe the front settled about an inch in the first week. After adjusting, the springs have held steady height for 2+ years so far. When adjusting go by frame height side by side. Fender height can be inconsistent side to side in general.