Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Looks very usable to me Vance. Did you have to cut out the bumper from the top to get access to the spool ? How did the winch lever end up on the bottom side of the bumper ? I see now... your winch is bolted to the bumper face instead of to the bottom so that makes your winch lay on it's side. Hmmm I never thought of doing that but did you have a reason for doing that, like no bottom on your bumper. It looks like you welded a winch plate to the face of the bumper for strength, is that true.
Lanlubber,
I have a bad habit of high jacking posts, so will answer your questions in “ The Daily Thread”. I enjoy looking and learning from DIY mods other post here! Vance.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Took my truck out and did some exploring around Auburn/Colfax area (Northern CA)

I was by myself so I didn’t want to get too far into anything that might get me into trouble.

Attachments

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Towed this home from work. Promptly decided it was a little too bulky/heavy than i wanted for my XJ so towed it back this morning since the owner had another buyer lined up. I had plans for smaller tires on the rear and a dropped lunette ring to make it ride level but oh well.

Ill be sticking with my modded harbor freight trailer i guess. Much lighter. 20190919_082552.jpg

View attachment 118410View attachment 118411View attachment 118412

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Getting ready for our next western tour. The original outer brake lines and the original LSPV valve replaced.
Passenger side wheel bearings adjusted. Oil change and lube. Rerouting and simplifying dual battery set up as a new bluetop went in for our house battery. Next week, new sneakers and heaven forbid, I'm changing tire brand for the first time in over 25 years. Gonna give the General ATXs a go. peace out!!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Towed this home from work. Promptly decided it was a little too bulky/heavy than i wanted for my XJ so towed it back this morning since the owner had another buyer lined up. I had plans for smaller tires on the rear and a dropped lunette ring to make it ride level but oh well.

Ill be sticking with my modded harbor freight trailer i guess. Much lighter. View attachment 118405

I agree,, those are really cool trailers, but my oh my they are heavy.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

Ill be sticking with my modded harbor freight trailer i guess. Much lighter. View attachment 118405

It does look like it's about to run over you. LOL

Reactions: Shannon

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Looks like you might need new shocks in the future. Is that rust or dirt? :)
It's surface rust, provided free of charge to southern Ontario residents. They salt the roads in winter.
My jk had a bit of surface rust on the frame welds already when I picked it up from dealer with only 6km on the odometer. Chrysler is saving $$ on the paint. Rancho shocks come barely spray painted too.
That patch of rust on the shock(s) is from the boot rubbing the paint. I never worry about these little things. Besides, rust is nature's loctite. [emoji1]

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

It doesn't count unless pictures.... :tonguewink:
Hey, I know you!

So, here's how it was before:

20190907_151109.jpg20190907_151117.jpg

You can see in the pic where the tire was rubbing the wheel-well liner even just street driving.

A few weeks back (before that last wheeling trip) I took a lot of material out of the liner and the bumper:
20190907_155045.jpg20190907_155050.jpg20190907_160432.jpg

In the middle pic you can see the foglight bracket and wiring (lower part) and the windshield washer bottle, pump,wiring etc. (upper part). All of that actually needs to come out. Yesterday I just cleaned some of the trimming up and cleaned up the wiring I had sort of pulled out stuffing the tire into it, but I didn't get pics. I mostly was poking around to see what all I'd have to do, and play with some ideas of replacing the factory foglights with a much lower-profile LED setup that wouldn't interfere at all (as you can see, the factory foglight and mount are very deep). Part of me wants to keep the factory front bumper and hide a winch like this:

(not, that's a 2004 front bumper/grill... I don't like the grill as much, but I like the bumper cover better and with round fog-light holes it'd be easier to retrofit something aftermarket)

Still, at the end of the day I think I'll go with an aftermarket bumper, probably with fog-light provisions so I'll keep all the factory wiring in place, but just ditch the fogs for now while I'm still running this bumper.

20190907_151138.jpg
(my '03 front end for comparison)

-TJ

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Hey, I know you!

So, here's how it was before:

View attachment 118447View attachment 118448

You can see in the pic where the tire was rubbing the wheel-well liner even just street driving.

A few weeks back (before that last wheeling trip) I took a lot of material out of the liner and the bumper:
View attachment 118451View attachment 118452View attachment 118453

In the middle pic you can see the foglight bracket and wiring (lower part) and the windshield washer bottle, pump,wiring etc. (upper part). All of that actually needs to come out. Yesterday I just cleaned some of the trimming up and cleaned up the wiring I had sort of pulled out stuffing the tire into it, but I didn't get pics. I mostly was poking around to see what all I'd have to do, and play with some ideas of replacing the factory foglights with a much lower-profile LED setup that wouldn't interfere at all (as you can see, the factory foglight and mount are very deep). Part of me wants to keep the factory front bumper and hide a winch like this:

(not, that's a 2004 front bumper/grill... I don't like the grill as much, but I like the bumper cover better and with round fog-light holes it'd be easier to retrofit something aftermarket)

Still, at the end of the day I think I'll go with an aftermarket bumper, probably with fog-light provisions so I'll keep all the factory wiring in place, but just ditch the fogs for now while I'm still running this bumper.

View attachment 118450
(my '03 front end for comparison)

-TJ
I've seen some of the Tacoma guys make new fender liners with ABS. Probably doable in your case if it's a relatively small area that has been removed.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Took the WJ to Hollister Hills to check clearances and flex after installing Rough Country front discos a while back. Also let Yvonne get a bit of driving experience in the obstacle course and through the tunnel. The WJ had a budget boost on when I bought it, and with 3" lift Ranchos, front discos, and a little work on bump stop extensions I am surprised how much flex this little Jeep has. And as usual there was rubbing on the front bumper plastic, but I think I will let that self clearance (for now). Rig is officially ready for OB Sierras 2019!
P_20190921_131539.jpeg

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I agree,, those are really cool trailers, but my oh my they are heavy.
Not too bad. I think empty weight is around 1200 lbs with the bed. The M116 chassis is around 750ish. Hard to beat my little modded HF trailer that I can pick up and move around when it's empty haha.

It does look like it's about to run over you. LOL
It tows really nice. The surge brake is pretty functional. Just not how much weight I want to tow around with a 200,000 mile Jeep haha.