Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I took apart my rear brakes for ohh the 12th time to clean all the lube I had previously applied to quiet the squeak when off-road. I decided to try just a very light film on the pad backing plates but no dice. Even after replacing the oem rotors and pads with Powerstop units the squeak is still there and horribly annoying. They are now making the noise on road as well until you apply moderate braking pressure. @Magic Mike this is what I had to listen to all weekend. Now it does it on pavement too. lol

Reactions: roots66

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

WHAT. like. Did you bend the axle flange? Or the housing? How the heck did you do that...
Not sure but I've had the vibration and brake squeak since day 1. I always thought it was my tires. My 2016 had a similar squeak but brake lube always cured it for a few months so I thought this truck was the same. I got rid of the P-metric Wildpeaks because I was sure at least 1 was bad. Unfortunately my truck is so heavily geared up for off-road it will appear to be user error. My dealer is cool and will try to avoid letting GM know about all the mods because the dealer knows I've had this problem for a long time and prior to the mods.
You've seen me wheel. Can someone be more delicate? LOL

Reactions: DoggMan1163 and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Not sure but I've had the vibration and brake squeak since day 1. I always thought it was my tires. My 2016 had a similar squeak but brake lube always cured it for a few months so I thought this truck was the same. I got rid of the P-metric Wildpeaks because I was sure at least 1 was bad. Unfortunately my truck is so heavily geared up for off-road it will appear to be user error. My dealer is cool and will try to avoid letting GM know about all the mods because the dealer knows I've had this problem for a long time and prior to the mods.
You've seen me wheel. Can someone be more delicate? LOL
yeah, you're pretty gentle on stuff. huh.

How'd you trouble shoot? Housing or axle shaft?

Reactions: JCWages

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Spend some time doing some Auto-CAD mockups of a engine/front skid plate for our 2wd truck... and started working on a couple ideas for a mini-tube bumper to go under the steel one. There is almost no aftermarket for these trucks so everything like this is either lots of $$$ because one vendor makes it or custom. Gonna go shopping for metals this weekend and hopefully start bending metal soon...

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I crawled around under the truck checking for loose bolts or anything that looked out of place. I helped recover a Bronco that was high centered in snow last weekend and when I gave him a low speed snatch with the static strap I heard a loud clank which I was pretty sure was just the hitch receiver and bow shackle. I just wanted to make 100% sure I didn't damage anything. I didn't. :)

If this little snatch didn't work I was prepared to swap out the static strap for the ARB kinetic strap. I'm glad we happened upon the poor folks when we did. They were going to be digging for awhile if we hadn't.

Video captured by @Magic Mike

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I hit the beach in Corolla NC. The heat was unbearable but when the opportunity came to give my 1 year old a nap time drive I headed straight for 4X4 beach. The Subaru did amazing as always and despite the dozens of stuck vehicles up and down the beach we didn’t have any problems.

00F41EB7-1F4E-44BF-8E00-3171E42D9E26.jpeg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I hit the beach in Corolla NC. The heat was unbearable but when the opportunity came to give my 1 year old a nap time drive I headed straight for 4X4 beach. The Subaru did amazing as always and despite the dozens of stuck vehicles up and down the beach we didn’t have any problems.

View attachment 108553
Lightweight and AWD FTW! :)

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I re-affirmed the value of checking over your rig before going to the bush. I was checking and topping up the oil (she's 20 years old, so she oozes a bit of oil) I noticed some liquid puddling on top of the transmission. A quick inspection confirmed it was coolant, and the culprit was a big, nasty split in the upper rad hose. A $30 part and 10 seconds of my own labor installing it averted what could have been a major disaster if we overheated way in the back country.

Instead of a disaster, my wife, our baby and I had a lovely day driving along Chilliwack lake and then launching the Overwatering rig and going for a little cruise to nearly the end of the lake. The rest of the kiddos were at Grandma's, so it was just us three for a change :)