Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Went back up to Bowman Lake yesterday, with bait this time!

I took the shorter route through the washed out bridge on Bowman Lake Rd. I made it up the steeper section without even a hint of wheel slip but when I got to the top 2 fellows in a Ford F250 were stopped in the road and trying to help spot for me. I wasn't sure if they were going to move any time soon so I pulled to the side and talked to them for a minute. When I went to go around them I forgot about the 3 foot tall boulder on my passenger side...... Scraaaaaaaaaape!!!

The Tyger steps saved the body panels but the poor outer step bar is no longer round. They did a good job and protected the truck although that is not their intended purpose. The bar thickness is pretty thin apparently. I'll be in the market for some heady duty slider steps soon. :)

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Today I converted my ARB fridge slider into a DIY tilting fridge slider. When my wife and I were at Overland Expo we purchased a new ARB fridge and slider. As soon as we got them back to our rig we figured out what we really needed was either a tilting slider or a drop down slider. Since then I've priced both types and I just can't bring myself to spend between $500 to upwards around $1,000.00 for another slider.

I got onto the internet and looked at how most of them Operated and decided to make something that will work for me. What I found was very simple, all I needed was a way to create a pivot point in the front of the slider and a way to limit how far the entire unit tilted. It's a very simple fix, a pair of door hinges and a nylon strap to limit the amount of tilt.

I put it together and it works beautifully, ever better than I expected. I might change the limiting strap a little but for now it's good...

IMG_1125.jpgIMG_1125.jpgIMG_1126.jpgIMG_1127.jpgIMG_1128.jpgfullsizeoutput_9f6.jpegfullsizeoutput_9f6.jpegfullsizeoutput_9f4.jpegfullsizeoutput_9f5.jpeg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Today I converted my ARB fridge slider into a DIY tilting fridge slider. When my wife and I were at Overland Expo we purchased a new ARB fridge and slider. As soon as we got them back to our rig we figured out what we really needed was either a tilting slider or a drop down slider. Since then I've priced both types and I just can't bring myself to spend between $500 to upwards around $1,000.00 for another slider.

I got onto the internet and looked at how most of them Operated and decided to make something that will work for me. What I found was very simple, all I needed was a way to create a pivot point in the front of the slider and a way to limit how far the entire unit tilted. It's a very simple fix, a pair of door hinges and a nylon strap to limit the amount of tilt.

I put it together and it works beautifully, ever better than I expected. I might change the limiting strap a little but for now it's good...
Well done!

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Thank you, Alucab $479.00, DFG Same, Clearview $699.00 & MSA $899.00. I can't do it my friend. See how this holds up on a few trips and tweak it here and there.
Go Team Redneck Fabrication! I'm more impressed by that than one of those expensive units.

Does it latch down in the back so it doesn't bounce up on the trail?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

View attachment 107022View attachment 107022View attachment 107023View attachment 107024View attachment 107025View attachment 107026View attachment 107026View attachment 107027View attachment 107028
That's awesome. I gather these fridges are constructed such that tilting them like that is not an issue?

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Go Team Redneck Fabrication! I'm more impressed by that than one of those expensive units.

Does it latch down in the back so it doesn't bounce up on the trail?
Doesn't need to be, because when the fridge is pushed all the way back in it stays in place with the weight of the all steel slider and the fridge.. that is a plus!

Reactions: JCWages

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've been prepping for a trip to Colorado. Just about ready to go. I've got to pack clothes, strap down my jerry can and change the oil and I think I'm set. A buddy is picking up a used alternator and CV shaft for trail spares and bringing them to the rendezvous.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I've been prepping for a trip to Colorado. Just about ready to go. I've got to pack clothes, strap down my jerry can and change the oil and I think I'm set. A buddy is picking up a used alternator and CV shaft for trail spares and bringing them to the rendezvous.
You know you're about to get into it when you bring spare CVs!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
You know you're about to get into it when you bring spare CVs!
A couple of the trails we're looking at are listed as moderate-difficult. Not sure I'll be able to run them all, but I'm not too big of a man to turn around if I'm in over my depth. However, luck favors the prepared.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Last day of the work week for me. Tomorrow I’ll be packing and finishing up a few mods before our trip. Spare driveshafts, rear axle shaft, stub shafts, u joints, fluids, tools and recovery gear are already packed. Need to mount the hi lift, re install the cb radio somewhere, buy a couple more tools and pack up our clothes and the cooler and I’ll be ready. It’s going to be a fun weekend! Never been to this trail but the obstacles look like it can present a challenge in a few spots.
Not my pics, but it shows the obstacles pretty well. I’ll be sure to post some up.
IMG_2876.jpgIMG_2877.jpg