Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I made up a mobile welding kit, use with either two or three batteries, I've never needed a welder on the trail, but my odds may be increasing!

uploadfromtaptalk1468905515858.jpg

Pretty easy to do, I learned how to weld with one at the Overland Expo this year. I have a mig welder, and knew a long time ago how to stick weld, but a little refresher and the need to make something tonight created this. Actually I had been hoarding the parts for this since OEX, finally had some time to put it all together.
Fun times.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Not much, but really needed to get a better place for my Garmin. Suction cups in Arizona during the summer is a no go, at least, I haven't had any luck. So I made a small weighted bracket to hold it at the same angle as the dash. Turned out nice, and doesn't rock and roll on rough roads, or crazy city traffic. 20160718_190414.jpg 20160718_190401.jpg

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
This weekend my son and I installed a proper fire extinguisher in our rig. For about a year we have been driving around with a cheap Kiddie extinguisher rolling around in our recovery box in the bad of the truck. I really wanted to find a suitable way to mount the extinguisher closer to the driver. I found bunch of different options to consider. Finally I settled on the H3R Performance MaxOut 250R Fire Extinguisher with with Extreme Duty Quick Release and the Universal Fire Extinguisher Seat Mount. This combination allowed me to position the ABC rated extinguisher right at the front edge of my seat; out of the way, but still in easy reach.

Below are a few pictures of the installation. I tried to illustrate how the extinguisher attaches to the quick release plate. (I also note from the pictures that my carpet needs cleaning!)

I am happy with the results. Now, let's just hope it never needs to be used!

Cheers

-- Bennett

View attachment 6064 View attachment 6065 View attachment 6066 View attachment 6067 View attachment 6068 View attachment 6069 View attachment 6070 View attachment 6071 View attachment 6072 View attachment 6073
That's a nice setup.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My rig sat in the shop all day because of an electrical short somewhere. Hate when that happens.

Klunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Sparks, Nevada
Member #

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Last week I travelled the Applegate Lassen trail with the High Rock Trekkers. It was a 250 mile, off road trail which started in Winnimucca NV. and ended in Cederville CA. two and half days later. The trail followed the historic Applegate Lassen pioneer wagon trail. During the ride one of the HRT members would transmit historical points over the CB radio which were very insightful. This was HRT's 22 year putting this event together. I highly recommend this event for anyone who is into history as well as overlanding.

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
Rebuilt the dogs platform /rear seat delete. Old Rev0 version was just plywood with plywood supports, pretty much just a prototype to see how well it works out, how big the platform could be, etc.
This one is steel frame with drop in plywood. I gained a bit more usable storage space under it in the footwells, it fits a bit better, and its easier to take in/out of the truck. And it's sturdier/less janky.
Need to grind out or burn in with weld some of the sharp ish edges of the angle the supports the wood, then I'll spray some paint on it (not that you can see it under the blankets), and also need to use some roll or spray on bedliner on the wood. I {or rather the dog) had some issues with the blankets becoming "slippery" on the platform if dirt /sand got underneath it. Thinking the textured paint should add some grip,and make it look more finished.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
image.jpeg After waiting what seemed like an eternity the lift kit came in so I didn't waste any time installing it. It's a 2" kit but I went with an extra 0.5" in the back to compensate for weight. A nice addition to the 8.7" ground clearance the car came with. Wheels/tires should be in this week.