Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Annual MOT next Saturday, so got a few jobs done:
Front wheel bearings adjusted
Transfer box rear output seal changed
Oil leak on vacuum pump sorted

Just as I was wrapping up , happened to walk round the back past the rear nearside wheel - "Oh for f**ks sake, why's the wheel and tyre plastered in oil/runny grease and the dust cover missing?" Yup, inner hub/stub axle seal gone. I've been keeping an eye on a rear diff input seal weeping, but this was just taking the mickey ......

IMG_6384.JPG

Further investigation - inner stub seal must have failed and washed the bearing out with diff oil and must have come through the bearing a while ago as the was very little grease left.
Not often these fail on the LR Salisbury axle, so why should it go .... checked the diff breather - blocked - so it could be that pressure has built up in the casing and popped the seal. Might also explain why the diff input seal has been weeping.:
IMG_6385.JPG

All stripped, cleaned and waiting for new parts tomorrow. Should be back on the road tomorrow night.
IMG_6386.JPG

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Rebuilt my high lift, test fit some gear and sketched up the design for my bed/underbed storage. Added a second battery for my goal zero yeti 400 which has worked out great as well.

92A8F86C-BAC8-4AA8-ACD4-AFCA85B61A84.jpeg C704AEB8-5F65-44C8-9812-2FE37473FFC6.jpeg

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Damn brofessor. Good work. You're making me jealous. I am wasting away in the desert right now wishing I was working on my rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app
Gotta get ready for this summer bro! Got big plans! haha I don't envy you if you are deployed right now. Just saw a buddy off last night for his deployment to Africa for 10 months. And I am assuming that. If so thank you for your service and I wish you were here working on your rig and getting ready to go with us!

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Gotta get ready for this summer bro! Got big plans! haha I don't envy you if you are deployed right now. Just saw a buddy off last night for his deployment to Africa for 10 months. And I am assuming that. If so thank you for your service and I wish you were here working on your rig and getting ready to go with us!
I plan on making my rounds and meeting some members when I get home. Just not too sure what the weather is going to be like this time around. I think I can make link up with a few SE members before i have to get back to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Annual MOT next Saturday, so got a few jobs done:
Front wheel bearings adjusted
Transfer box rear output seal changed
Oil leak on vacuum pump sorted

Just as I was wrapping up , happened to walk round the back past the rear nearside wheel - "Oh for f**ks sake, why's the wheel and tyre plastered in oil/runny grease and the dust cover missing?" Yup, inner hub/stub axle seal gone. I've been keeping an eye on a rear diff input seal weeping, but this was just taking the mickey ......

View attachment 54564

Further investigation - inner stub seal must have failed and washed the bearing out with diff oil and must have come through the bearing a while ago as the was very little grease left.
Not often these fail on the LR Salisbury axle, so why should it go .... checked the diff breather - blocked - so it could be that pressure has built up in the casing and popped the seal. Might also explain why the diff input seal has been weeping.:
View attachment 54565

All stripped, cleaned and waiting for new parts tomorrow. Should be back on the road tomorrow night.
View attachment 54566
Rebuilt and back on the road :sunglasses::sunglasses:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Yesterday, I bought a 1962 or 1963 Alaskan camper. 10’ non-over cab model, in good overall shape for it’s age. Then, a couple of days ago, I bought 4 matching tires for my Jeep Cherokee. 32 x 10.5 x 15. $300. from my local junk yard. Will work to see how the size works with my gearing, before I invest in new tires later! So, here are so pictures. Not the best ones. Benz.

A6009AA9-EE36-4616-8DBE-2185736FE9E0.jpeg 91FAB859-E27B-4AB8-8419-282E1A341074.jpeg 38EA6B89-5272-4E46-B19F-9DB77F2778AC.jpeg

Reactions: ScorpioVI and DK_XV

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I started the bed/drawer system. The top is 25” wide to fit my thermorest which will be strapped down with fastex buckles and webbing. Room for three Jerry cans in the opening by the tailgate, drawers will be built for the other two openings. I made it a bit shy of 1/4” too long as it ended up not quite flush with the front of the bed. I’ll plane the back side down a bit on the next work day and once I move my tools it will fit tighter to the side of the bed. Not sure If I’ll poly it or bed line it. It’s really nice 3/4” baltic birch so I’ll probably poly it with some stain of some sort. I’m not certain if I’ll do locking drawer slides or come up with a latch I like which I’m not having much luck with right now. The whole thing is glued and screwed, it’s built like a tank!

37154532-3179-4C06-B49F-D9CE6B613929.jpeg