Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

More or less finished installing a Howell TBI kit on a 76 Jeep Cherokee. Fired right up with no fault codes! Runs pretty well, but I do have an exhaust leak to tend to and a little electrical clean up on the passenger wheel well. The 6-12 hour advisement for install was a little off. It took 2 months pecking away at it here and there on weekends and working on mounting solutions.....

1. Custom computer mount behind passenger side dash.
2. Custom fuel pump and filter mount along frame rail.
3. Hard lines for fuel supply and return over engine.
4. Complete undo and redo of wiring harness to actually match vehicle an engine layout.
5. Cut and reweld of throttle cable bracket to get full throttle movement.
6. Fabbed a MAP senor mount out of a spring clip.
7. And so on. Ran the harness along exisitng harness runs. Once dirty, it will be hard to tell it is not factory.

The air cleaner could be replaced with an open element and still be smog legal, but I left the original with the hot air system for warm up. This is my hunting rig and does see high elevation and below freezing temps. Easy enough to keep the stock stuff and avoid any icing problems.

Mechanical.JPG

Computer mount.JPG

100_3726.JPG

Harness.JPG

Done1.JPG

Last edited:

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Got the canopy shortened .... a little to much , I didn’t account for the way the tailgate comes out in a small arch it’s not straight across. Oh well it’s on and will serve it’s purpose . View attachment 179092
Next on the list is swap out the torsion bars for a lighter set , a wheel hub and a body lift . .
Coil overs get my vote! Check out Atomic fabrication. Running coil overs on my 2001 Tahoe. Good stuff. Not a big stretch in price over new torsion bars, that's what drove me that direction when I had a torsion bar failing.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Coil overs get my vote! Check out Atomic fabrication. Running coil overs on my 2001 Tahoe. Good stuff. Not a big stretch in price over new torsion bars, that's what drove me that direction when I had a torsion bar failing.
Ill just pick up some junk yard ones for now , the problem with the ones in it is for some odd reason it was built with a set that usually comes on a 2500hd with a diesel so the pound rating is 2x what a 1/2 ton should have so it just rides like a brick .

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Removing the LED headlights and driving lights off the JK. They are GARBAGE. Led is great for signal and brake lights. They are trash for foward lighting. Blob of light in front of your rig and that's it. Going back to the proven lighting upgrade Hella ECE lights with 2.0 bulbs for the headlights and Hella 500 with 55w 4300k HID installed. Lights that can Punch a huge hole in the night, not a crappy flaccid blue blob in front of your rig for 10 yards. Can't wait to have proper night driving again.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Removing the LED headlights and driving lights off the JK. They are GARBAGE. Led is great for signal and brake lights. They are trash for foward lighting. Blob of light in front of your rig and that's it. Going back to the proven lighting upgrade Hella ECE lights with 2.0 bulbs for the headlights and Hella 500 with 55w 4300k HID installed. Lights that can Punch a huge hole in the night, not a crappy flaccid blue blob in front of your rig for 10 yards. Can't wait to have proper night driving again.
I agree I like HID for driving lights with projector housings to get a clean cutoff line.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Removed this unused bit from inside the cab of the J200; as close as I can figure it is an electric trailer brake controller. The red knob/stick is seized and the plumbing bit in the back was not connected. The blue wire ran back to the trailer electrical connection on the back bumper. The bolt that was holding it in place was hopelessly seized to the nut so we got to drill out the head to get it out of there.

81504C93-F07D-42DA-A5AD-44392B3E37F6_1_105_c.jpeg

Owners of ancient Jeeps - do these two rectangle idiot lights look like original equipment? They are connected into a wrapped wiring harness.
2F98112D-7794-41B2-9344-B6B73B0013BF_1_105_c.jpeg

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
More or less finished installing a Howell TBI kit on a 76 Jeep Cherokee. Fired right up with no fault codes! Runs pretty well, but I do have an exhaust leak to tend to and a little electrical clean up on the passenger wheel well. The 6-12 hour advisement for install was a little off. It took 2 months pecking away at it here and there on weekends and working on mounting solutions.....

1. Custom computer mount behind passenger side dash.
2. Custom fuel pump and filter mount along frame rail.
3. Hard lines for fuel supply and return over engine.
4. Complete undo and redo of wiring harness to actually match vehicle an engine layout.
5. Cut and reweld of throttle cable bracket to get full throttle movement.
6. Fabbed a MAP senor mount out of a spring clip.
7. And so on. Ran the harness along exisitng harness runs. Once dirty, it will be hard to tell it is not factory.

The air cleaner could be replaced with an open element and still be smog legal, but I left the original with the hot air system for warm up. This is my hunting rig and does see high elevation and below freezing temps. Easy enough to keep the stock stuff and avoid any icing problems.

View attachment 179293

View attachment 179294

View attachment 179295

View attachment 179298

View attachment 179297
A Howell system is on the list eventually for my 304 equipped CJ. The Motorcraft carb is quite good but I do like me some FI.

Nothing really mechanical today. Took the CJ out for a spin. That's about it. Trying to use it for everything on my days off so I can get some miles under it to verify it's reliability.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I agree I like HID for driving lights with projector housings to get a clean cutoff line.
when I had HID system installed in my Hella 500 driving beams (the fluted ones, not FF. The ff verisons give a crap beam pattern), I had awesome clean nice color light. LED is blue, under powered, beam patterns are just blobs and just overall not a great technology for forward lighting. In inclement weather, the color of the light is TERRIBLE, you can't see. Snow, you are blinded because the blue wavelength reflects more than lower temp colors, and same goes for fog and rain. I would go with HID in my main headlights too but the hella retrofitted bug eyes are ugly AF.

• Haha
Reactions: RoarinRow

Traveler I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Divuolo
Member #

Tidied up some bed rack wiring, made some final adjustments on the rack and ikamper set up, installed max trax boards, and getting ready to install the warn 10-s winch!

Attachments