Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Not quite sure what you mean about input from truck and what that has to do with the headlights. I'm not up on all these new electronic terms and technology. For me it's getting to be annoying to have to pull over to the side of the road just to make station changes to my radio. Land Rover Discovery vehicle have too many electronic devises and control's on the dash. I have to pull over and search for what I'm trying to do. It's the only vehicle I have where I have these problems. I couldn't even find my drivers seat controls today until I got out of the thing and look all over for it. They hid the controls where you cant see them from a sitting position. I've only had it since Feb. and it's not my daily so I have yet to figure out how the damn thing's work on it. I love the truck but the English do things a lot different than us. It' s a dang computer on wheels and me and computers dont work real good together. LOL
He means a sencing wire that would connect to the instrument panel light circuit to auto dim the radio backlights for night time driving. Just like your aftermarket radio head unit does.

Reactions: HazMatt79

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
He means a sencing wire that would connect to the instrument panel light circuit to auto dim the radio backlights for night time driving. Just like your aftermarket radio head unit does.
Your talking to an electronic idiot. I have never changed out the OE equipment on my auto's , I have a hard time with my GPS that was given to me by my deceased son. He was always giving me something electronic like CB's etc. I didn't install them because I just wasn't interested. Now that I'm into overlanding I'm finding out I need some communication devises etc. The forums are helping me a lot, there are some genesis's on here from what I've seen. LOL

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

Well here’s the thing . The original tie rod had 239,000 miles on it. I couldn’t get those out to save my life, so I bought a new one and new ends. Now, 75,000 miles later, they are still a bear to get out, but doable. They aren’t even rusted.. my mechanic quoted me 2 hours for the job, it took me 3, so he knew what he was in for.. it’s all good though and well understood why Landcruisers don’t come out of alignment. My 04 TJ needed alignment after nearly every off road trip.. I got pretty good at doing my own alignments after a while.
I would like to know what you were doing to need an alignment every time in the jeep. My TJ has never been out, and it's done some heavy rock crawling.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Are you talking about connecting the radio lights to the dash lite dimmer control ?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Your talking to an electronic idiot. I have never changed out the OE equipment on my auto's , I have a hard time with my GPS that was given to me by my deceased son. He was always giving me something electronic like CB's etc. I didn't install them because I just wasn't interested. Now that I'm into overlanding I'm finding out I need some communication devises etc. The forums are helping me a lot, there are some genesis's on here from what I've seen. LOL
Feel free to hit me up via private message with any electronic questions. Most of its pretty easy for me.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would like to know what you were doing to need an alignment every time in the jeep. My TJ has never been out, and it's done some heavy rock crawling.
He dosent baby it in the rock piles or logs in his path. The good thing is he knows and fixes his worn parts. I just changed out one tie rod end on my dodge truck with 125,000 miles on it. I dont understand how only one side was shot. the other side looks equally old but has no play at all.

Reactions: kkriewald

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Are you talking about connecting the radio lights to the dash lite dimmer control ?
in short yes, long answer is hat the dimmer control on he dash is only part of he equation, HazMatt wants he UHF Radio to self dim when he urns the lights on just like his stock car stereo does, then adjust the brightness with the dash light dimmer control to match the rest of the dash lights.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Feel free to hit me up via private message with any electronic questions. Most of its pretty easy for me.
Thanks but I wouldnt wish my LRD2 electronic problems anyone. That 3 Amigo's thing is a nightmare.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
in short yes, long answer is hat the dimmer control on he dash is only part of he equation, HazMatt wants he UHF Radio to self dim when he urns the lights on just like his stock car stereo does, then adjust the brightness with the dash light dimmer control to match the rest of the dash lights.
Okay.....duaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :- )

HazMatt79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Houston County, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZYZ
Not exactly, but close. The dimmer control is variable, and I haven't encountered radios (specifically head units) that can take that variable voltage and convert it to a variably dimmed display. For me, it was wishful thinking, because the Yaesu HAM radio I installed doesn't have this type of input unfortunately. I won't have it on all the time anyway, unless I need to get ahold of someone. Like @Slimpartywagon as well, private message us if you need help. I've got a good bit of experience professionally with 12-volt electronics.

kkriewald

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Kriewald
Member #

He dosent baby it in the rock piles or logs in his path. The good thing is he knows and fixes his worn parts. I just changed out one tie rod end on my dodge truck with 125,000 miles on it. I dont understand how only one side was shot. the other side looks equally old but has no play at all.
All of my rigs wear out the right side. But my tie rods are still good at 240k. My wife's JKU on the other hand (not babied, but also not beet as hard as the TJ), eats front end parts. My buddy's Ram absolutely destroys the left side.

HazMatt79

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Houston County, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZYZ
Not exactly, but close. The dimmer control is variable, and I haven't encountered radios (specifically head units) that can take that variable voltage and convert it to a variably dimmed display. For me, it was wishful thinking, because the Yaesu HAM radio I installed doesn't have this type of input unfortunately. I won't have it on all the time anyway, unless I need to get ahold of someone. Like @Slimpartywagon as well, private message us if you need help. I've got a good bit of experience professionally with 12-volt electronics.
EDIT: I meant aftermarket head units in the second sentence.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Beginning to understand what you both are talking about. I'm going to stay as simple as my pea brain will accept. Sounds like what you added to your rig at least gives you most of what you wanted.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
All of my rigs wear out the right side. But my tie rods are still good at 240k. My wife's JKU on the other hand (not babied, but also not beet as hard as the TJ), eats front end parts. My buddy's Ram absolutely destroys the left side.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Just a long shot guess but I wonder if the TR ends wear more on one side than the other because of the diff location. If the diff is on the driver side it wears on the left and visaversa ? My Old 67 Bronco wore out free wheeling hubs and bearing like crazy but never had a TR end failure or wheel hub bearing failures.
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Every time out was, I admit, a bit of an exaggeration. At the time I was running 255/85/16s with a 2” OME suspension. Every 50,000 miles I could count on replacing the front lower control arm bushings and the front axle universals. Every 70-75 thousand miles the rest of the suspension bushings. Alignment? At least every 10,000 miles, and I wasn’t beating on it.. I’d wager that your TJ needs an alignment right now. One hard bump or pothole on the highway is all it takes.

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Didn't do anything today with my rig(yet), but more items arrive today for the M226(DANA 44) rear axle housing.

Two axle shaft seals, pinion nut, pinion crush sleeve and pinion shaft seal. The axle shaft bearings and locking collars arrived yesterday.
Once I get a chance, I can begin assembly. animated-smileys-dancing-002.gif

IMG_3578.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Didn't do anything today with my rig(yet), but more items arrive today for the M226(DANA 44) rear axle housing.

Two axle shaft seals, pinion nut, pinion crush sleeve and pinion shaft seal. The axle shaft bearings and locking collars arrived yesterday.
Once I get a chance, I can begin assembly. View attachment 129805

View attachment 129804
Go to work slacker ! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Shamu and eagle_A40