Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Took the rig to Big Bend National Park, first real offroad time we’ve put on the 4runner. It didn’t disappoint at all.
IMG_2506.jpg

This weekend I finally cleaned it up. Majorly washed the outside, degreased and washed the engine bay, and degreased, power washed and spray painted exposed parts of the underside and wheel wells.
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2620.jpgIMG_2622.jpg

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Ben Cleveland...

That 4Runner looks like new! Good job taking care of it. Did you just recently give it an overhaul?.... or a good cleaning and paint job?

My wife is interested in getting an old 4Runner sometime in the next half decade or so. Just wondering if I need to make a drive to your region to get one. lol

My first vehicle was a 88' 4Runner. That thing was slow, rusty, and extremely unreliable(@ a very neglected 280k mi). Man oh man I loved that thing though. I always regretted selling it.

These days I know how to take care of a vehicle. You can keep a vehicle forever(especially one with a rugged ladder frame)... and keep it reliable as well... as long as you do certain preventative maintenance and keep the rust off.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Ben Cleveland...

That 4Runner looks like new! Good job taking care of it. Did you just recently give it an overhaul?.... or a good cleaning and paint job?

My wife is interested in getting an old 4Runner sometime in the next half decade or so. Just wondering if I need to make a drive to your region to get one. lol

My first vehicle was a 88' 4Runner. That thing was slow, rusty, and extremely unreliable(@ a very neglected 280k mi). Man oh man I loved that thing though. I always regretted selling it.

These days I know how to take care of a vehicle. You can keep a vehicle forever(especially one with a rugged ladder frame)... and keep it reliable as well... as long as you do certain preventative maintenance and keep the rust off.
Thank you! It cleans up well. Also my painting the frame rails and wheel wells trick makes a HUGE difference on any car. But if you look at it up close, you can see it’s age and mileage (over 200k). No aesthetic refreshes, honestly that pic just hides some of the imperfections for some reason.

That said, it’s a very clean solid vehicle. Absolutely no rust and it was never offroaded before. Had some mechanical and ac issues this summer but that was mostly due to the age. I’m slowly doing preventative replacement of parts and I’ve upgraded a lot already.

Not sure where you’re from, but yes Texas vehicles especially (which this one has been it’s entire life) tend to look like this. They may have sun damage on paint or years of dirt underneath from dirt roads, but very little if any corrosion. Unless you’re going all the way down to the gulf coast. Texas vehicles are great generally speaking, unless it’s a basic trim model truck that was beat on out in the oil fields. You don’t want one of those.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Texas vehicles are great generally speaking, unless it’s a basic trim model truck that was beat on out in the oil fields. You don’t want one of those.
I totally agree on the don't buy an oilfield vehicle comment!

This past Spring when I was shopping for a used Chevy Colorado (I Always buy used) the cheapest crew cabs with 4wd I could find were around $20k WT trim levels... and were about 150mi away in Mississippi (Just moved from Mobile, AL). I drove to look at them. They each had 110 to 125,000 miles on them and looked decent in the pics... all 15' models.

In real life, however, The carpet inside was buried under an inch of mud minimum. Cigarette burns and stains all in the seats. The dashes had holes everywhere and wires hanging out from the camera and radio gear they had in them. Large swaths of paint was missing with huge dents everywhere from the trail damage(one of the tailgates would not close due to crushing). The roofs, hoods, and tailgates had holes in them from the lights that were once mounted there.

Turns out that they were oil rig work trucks... imported from Texas. lol

Long story short... I got a New 18' Z71 loaded for 12k more. Sticker was $38k but talked them down to $32.5k without any advertised discounts. Came with the upgraded Camaro V6, upgraded 8spd Auto, an auto-locker in the rear, and the new xfer case with Auto mode(among many other upgrades). So it was the first time it was ever worth it to buy new.

I am currently in Virginia. Probably staying here. Just making mental notes for when the time comes.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I fitted my tablet holder. It doesn’t sound hard but I had to modify the brackets as there are no brackets to fit a Land Rover LR4.
Installed my recovery brackets.
Installed block and tackle points.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #