HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
How big is that mppt controller? I have a renogy river 40a, but its huge, I have been eyeballing these because they look compact and you can get the bluetooth adapter for them. The renogy rover one is like 10 x 8 inches and like 3 inches deep. I am still waiting on a panel to mount it on, so i am trying to condense the gear I stick in there if possible.
It's 3 1/2 X 5 inches and 2 1/2 " high. The 5 inches take into account the width of the heat sync plate. And the 100/20 model has built in bluetooth. I believe Victron Energy has released larger versions with bluetooth built in. If not they do have a dongle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: FJ81

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Installed the onboard compressor and wireless controller from air ride. I can independently or simultaneously inflate/deflate my rear bags and it will automatically keep each bag at the set PSI. As you can see in the bottom pic the drain on the filter hangs below the frame so I plan on putting a spacer between the bracket and the frame to raise it up a bit. I’ll trim the bolts at the same time. Right now I’m trying to decide on skid plates. RCI seems to be the only game in town. Now to figure out if I want steel or aluminum.

E52A1EAE-18D8-4634-B733-BF4378B70E18.jpeg 1EF97072-89E9-4608-BAEA-67855CAEC87E.jpeg 5374A594-F9A2-453F-898D-2713F427167E.jpeg

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

I mounted the tablet with some Ram components and a homemade cup holder mount. I couldnt find a mount I liked, even the adjustable cup holder kind didnt seem to fit my slim and clean build style. I ended up buying a two part plastic resin and casting my own. I coated the cup holder in release agent and poured the mix right in. It set up in about 5 minutes. The top was smooth and flat but kind of shiny so I chucked it up in our lathe and faced it nice and even. The 1" ram ball mount is attached and its rock solid with no movement at all. This was my first try casting parts and it worked out great.

Sojourn Overlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New York
Member #

Very nice!!! How do you like the Wilco swing away setup? could you take some more pics (distance between tire and rear of car, etc...)? How's the handling (any vibration, etc...)? Thanks much for the info.

Julien-

Over the weekend I put on the Wilco swing away and yesterday I had the new skins installed.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I mounted the tablet with some Ram components and a homemade cup holder mount. I couldnt find a mount I liked, even the adjustable cup holder kind didnt seem to fit my slim and clean build style. I ended up buying a two part plastic resin and casting my own. I coated the cup holder in release agent and poured the mix right in. It set up in about 5 minutes. The top was smooth and flat but kind of shiny so I chucked it up in our lathe and faced it nice and even. The 1" ram ball mount is attached and its rock solid with no movement at all. This was my first try casting parts and it worked out great.

Looks sharp. :sunglasses: So is it a permanent solution or can you remove it?

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

Very nice!!! How do you like the Wilco swing away setup? could you take some more pics (distance between tire and rear of car, etc...)? How's the handling (any vibration, etc...)? Thanks much for the info.

Julien-

Its a great product so far. The wedge design that goes through your receiver makes it very solid. The welds are nice, the finish is good and it swings smoothly. I never even notice its back there until I use the back up camera They quoted me 3-4 weeks and it shipped almost 4 weeks to the day. It arrived in two pieces, packed in a large box filled with foam. Assembly was easy but getting it installed took a little tinkering. When torquing the wedge bolt to 75 ft lbs, you must remove the hitch cross pin to access the bolt head. The force applied to the wedge caused the unit to twist slightly. This caused the cross pin to be very tricky to reinstall. I wound up using a tapered brass punch and hammer to align the holes. The were only off maybe .020" but it was enough to cause a problem. It sits pretty far away from the hatch, but im limited by the depth of my receiver. Others may be able to mount it closer. It will look better once I get the fuel cans between the hatch and the tire.

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

Looks sharp. :sunglasses: So is it a permanent solution or can you remove it?
It slips right out. I placed a threaded insert in the bottom of the cup holder and threaded a bolt into it before I poured the stuff in. That way when it hardened up I had a way to pull it out, like a big plastic popsicle. I took great care to find the exact center of the cup holder, even made a little template. Of course, as soon as I started to pour the bolt fell over. You can see its off center in the pics. The Ram ball covers it but my OCD knows it like that. I will likely cast another and used a black tint this time.

Sojourn Overlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New York
Member #

Thanks for the pics and the info. I am a little concern about adding more length to my already lonnnnnng 1500 crew cab.... but I do like the way it looks. Once you add the fuel can it will certainly look even better.

Thanks again,

Be Safe.

Julien-

Its a great product so far. The wedge design that goes through your receiver makes it very solid. The welds are nice, the finish is good and it swings smoothly. I never even notice its back there until I use the back up camera They quoted me 3-4 weeks and it shipped almost 4 weeks to the day. It arrived in two pieces, packed in a large box filled with foam. Assembly was easy but getting it installed took a little tinkering. When torquing the wedge bolt to 75 ft lbs, you must remove the hitch cross pin to access the bolt head. The force applied to the wedge caused the unit to twist slightly. This caused the cross pin to be very tricky to reinstall. I wound up using a tapered brass punch and hammer to align the holes. The were only off maybe .020" but it was enough to cause a problem. It sits pretty far away from the hatch, but im limited by the depth of my receiver. Others may be able to mount it closer. It will look better once I get the fuel cans between the hatch and the tire.

Reactions: GEARS

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Clever solution, and avoids the long armed ram mount setups that always seem to be in the way. Good thinking!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Rear Storage Box for my FJ (DIY)
View attachment 50890
Pretty slick there, @theBROFESSOR - really nice job! That's gonna be super handy in helping to keep stuff organized and close at hand.

Is the box itself anchored anywhere other than with the backstraps? Wondering, because I know in my vehicle, though a lot larger, going over rough terrain tends to make stuff in the back hop a bit. So with my new fridge slide arrangement I'm making, will anchor it through the floor at each corner, probably, with t-nuts or threaded inserts.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding