Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

What's the song that talks about the first cut being the deepest? Brian Adams? Anyway, I know it's the first of many, but damn it's hard. Especially when it happened in my driveway!!! Trying to park two full sized vehicles in a driveway built for two regular sized vehicles isn't the easiest thing I've done, but I still feel like I soooo could have avoided this. Pulling the van out of the driveway & trying to navigate between the truck parked next to it on the right & the light post on the front porch on the left, I scraped the left rear bumper on the brick porch column. Sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard..... Spent the day sanding, primering & painting the damage.
View attachment 47271
Ooops! That's one thing that is keeping me from getting an Aluminess back bumper for my GMC van, the way they wrap around the corner and add several inches to overall width. I think they'd like get hung up on tight trails and be a branch/debris catcher. I'm going for their front winch bumper and bull bar, though. Hope your repair work and paint job comes out the way you want.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have sooooooo many projects on my list to do, but time and weather aren't cooperating.
Man, I hear that. I used to have a shop with a 14' ceiling and 20' wide overhead door. I could pull my big van all the way in and have room to work all the way around it. Don't have the shop anymore, and have no inside place to work on vehicles now here on the coast of Maine, so am getting pretty itchy for warmer weather and drier ground!

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Ooops! That's one thing that is keeping me from getting an Aluminess back bumper for my GMC van, the way they wrap around the corner and add several inches to overall width. I think they'd like get hung up on tight trails and be a branch/debris catcher. I'm going for their front winch bumper and bull bar, though. Hope your repair work and paint job comes out the way you want.
The paint Aluminess told me to use actually matches pretty good. I think once I buff out the edges of the touch up it will be a pretty good match. I kinda struggled with how much sanding I should do. I either have some shallow grooves/scratches if I don't sand, or a smooth indentation if I do sand. I went with a happy medium and you probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't point it out. The problem is I know it's there & can't help looking at it every time I walk by and think I could have done a better job. Oh well..... I'm sure the next scratch will make me forget about this one.

I do have to get used to the size/shape of this vehicle & everything on it. I've been driving a Ford F-350 Crew Cab with a shell for years, but it's a completely different look/feel to drive & park. I think you are right, and I'm glad you pointed it out because I wouldn't have thought of it until it was too late. The configuration of the rear bumper on the sides is just begging for something to catch and grab onto. If it was something big enough, it might really cause a problem. I may have to look into some sort of a modification to deflect debris.

Reactions: Road

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I tore the heater core box cover and fan out of my K2500, looking for a rats nest in there after driving it a month ago and having a horrid smell. I didn't find anything in there though and took it for a drive and the smell was not present this time. I may have had some stagnant water in the vent since the spot it stays parked in isn't level and it leans to the passenger's side when sitting there.

I've still got to find out why the front dome and map lights are now dead, but that's a task for another day. It took all the daylight I had left after work yesterday to get that box apart and back together. While it's a lot easier to get at than the S10 Blazer I had, it's still pretty tricky getting that thing apart.

Next warm day project is the roof-basket install on the Xterra. Then I've got to find some boxes that'll fit up there to hold my gear.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Almost got hit by 2 truckdrivers today, the first truckdriver decided to make a u-turn on a road that wasnt really wide enough for it and the other one came at me in my lane when i was exiting a roundabout.. had to hit the ditch twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Still working on my shower setup. This is the year that we put this to use and get my wife out more. She is a bit picky about those comforts. When me and the kids go we typically use the giant adventure wipes to clean up, but this will be really nice.

I have side rails on my roof rack. I was thinking I would hang the eccotemp off the side near the rear on the passenger side. I would have a heat resistant pad on the lower back of the heater. The pump would mount next to it the same way on its vibration isolators. I'd use a cig plug and just hook up to my rear passenger side cig outlet (on aux battery). Then the propane can be 1lb bottle or 10 lb tank on the rack. Water can come from bucket, faucet or jerry can. Shower tent can be next to the vehicle and with the heater up high a bit, the silver shower hose wont have far to go. I'd always have to park with the shower side in a good spot for drainage and would probably want it on the opposite side from the tent and fire, etc..(its also the bathroom). I dont have it yet, but I have my eye on a Ozark Trail 2 room instant shower shelter and a Cleanwaste go anywhere toilet.