Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Bought a Flippack to put in top of my utility bed. It is just temporarily mounted and would be about 2 inches lower once in final position. Still might be too tall though. I plan to fill hap at the front of the bed with either MaxTrax or solar panel storage. And I have to build a "tailgate" as the utility has a little 6 inch tailgate. And a bonus sunset shot while drivinging into Gunnison, Co. 20170714_150350.jpg20170714_202917.jpg 20170714_150401.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

New Yellowtop, and airing out the roof top tent

I started out years ago with an Optima Yellowtop, and it lasted maybe two years, I think it was a bad one from Cartoys.
Had Les Schwab seven years ago put a Redtop (Redtops are a starting battery, not a deep cycle one for fridges and accessories) in there as I was not running anything off of the aux battery, it was only in case I killed the starting battery with the ARB fridge.

Fast forward to this past September when I got my new National Luna Weekender 50 Twin fridge/freezer, and I had it wired up to the Redtop with 8 gauge amplifier wire.
The Redtop is not to be used as a deep cycle battery, so running the new fridge put a strain on it, and a week ago Friday I had Les Schwab put it a 34/78 Yellowtop, and it is doing fine with the fridge since it is a deep cycle battery.

However, the stock Toyota charging system struggles with charging two batteries, so I have a booster coming from MechMan Alternators which shows up next week.
That will be for another post in my build thread.
Right now the charging system says around 13.4v for both batteries when cruising, but it starts out at 14v.
The booster will allow me to dial in 14.5 so both batteries will get a healthy charge.

Also aired out the AutoHome Maggiolina Airlander tent today for an upcoming vacation in August..
Was going to put in a new 12v LED light fixture to replace the weak Autohome one that uses a regular festoon shaped bulb, but I would have had to drill the headliner, was not comfortable with that.
I also had an LED festoon bulb leftover from doing the interior of my FJ Cruiser, but it was too short.
Going to use a Wagontek portable light with a magnetic base if I need more light inside, it is super bright.

Also dinked around with an idea to keep my ladder overnight when we are asleep from perhaps "walking" away.
Used a small diameter Kryptonite cable and Masterlock.

The new Toyota battery I had installed four years ago is starting to get weak, the stock Panasonic one lasted around seven years.
Going for an Odyssey one this time, it is a direct fit, and very popular with FJ Cruiser and Tacoma owners
Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500

And here is the booster that is showing up soon.
Adjustable voltage boost module for Square 4 pin Toyota

Like I mentioned, the alternator is not putting out enough voltage for two batteries.
Today when I had my Renogy solar panel hooked up to the Yellowtop, the Yellowtop was sitting at full at 14.5v, way better than the Toyota charging system can do.
Hopefully this booster cable will remedy this.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

New Yellowtop, and airing out the roof top tent

I started out years ago with an Optima Yellowtop, and it lasted maybe two years, I think it was a bad one from Cartoys.
Had Les Schwab seven years ago put a Redtop (Redtops are a starting battery, not a deep cycle one for fridges and accessories) in there as I was not running anything off of the aux battery, it was only in case I killed the starting battery with the ARB fridge.

Fast forward to this past September when I got my new National Luna Weekender 50 Twin fridge/freezer, and I had it wired up to the Redtop with 8 gauge amplifier wire.
The Redtop is not to be used as a deep cycle battery, so running the new fridge put a strain on it, and a week ago Friday I had Les Schwab put it a 34/78 Yellowtop, and it is doing fine with the fridge since it is a deep cycle battery.

However, the stock Toyota charging system struggles with charging two batteries, so I have a booster coming from MechMan Alternators which shows up next week.
That will be for another post in my build thread.
Right now the charging system says around 13.4v for both batteries when cruising, but it starts out at 14v.
The booster will allow me to dial in 14.5 so both batteries will get a healthy charge.

Also aired out the AutoHome Maggiolina Airlander tent today for an upcoming vacation in August..
Was going to put in a new 12v LED light fixture to replace the weak Autohome one that uses a regular festoon shaped bulb, but I would have had to drill the headliner, was not comfortable with that.
I also had an LED festoon bulb leftover from doing the interior of my FJ Cruiser, but it was too short.
Going to use a Wagontek portable light with a magnetic base if I need more light inside, it is super bright.

Also dinked around with an idea to keep my ladder overnight when we are asleep from perhaps "walking" away.
Used a small diameter Kryptonite cable and Masterlock.

The new Toyota battery I had installed four years ago is starting to get weak, the stock Panasonic one lasted around seven years.
Going for an Odyssey one this time, it is a direct fit, and very popular with FJ Cruiser and Tacoma owners
Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500

And here is the booster that is showing up soon.
Adjustable voltage boost module for Square 4 pin Toyota

Like I mentioned, the alternator is not putting out enough voltage for two batteries.
Today when I had my Renogy solar panel hooked up to the Yellowtop, the Yellowtop was sitting at full at 14.5v, way better than the Toyota charging system can do.
Hopefully this booster cable will remedy this.
Very cool

Reactions: Corey

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

New here so I thought I'd post up a photo of my rig. In the past couple of weeks I've done rock sliders, rear bumper, winch, bush cables, wheel arches, and a ton more. Over the past year I've rebuild the whole truck from the ground up (engine rebuild, cooling system, you name it)
Interior trim gutted, lots of electrical mods.

edit; sorry posting url's from iCloud photo service doesn't work. Looking into the easiest way to get a photo URL from photos app...

IMG_0669 by jeffaquablake, on Flickr

IMG_0983 by jeffaquablake, on Flickr
Nice rig!!

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Tried out the new Staun's tire deflators I just switched to in preparation for a spin up the Magruder Corridor later this week and immediately found I had a bad valve core. Quickly got it switched out with a spare core and ordered some restock for the tire kit.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I was testing places to put my badge on the Xterra and decided to take some time and think about it. While I was thinking about it, I went to install the ash sweep in my Weber kettle. Somehow during that I threw my back out and I'm now laying flat on the living room floor crippled 5 days before our week-long beach trip

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Got the rig cleaned up for a WY trip this week. Reorganized the drawers, washed, checked and ready to go. The X Trailer is checked and ready to go as well. Just needs food and clothes.

I decided I need a Adventure Is Necessary decal on the side window of the rig but in big scale. Something like 24" long. Might have to make one.....

OB# 3805

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Changed all the rotors and pads, and replaced the passenger-side front diff support so we're ready to leave next week to Jackson Hole then Moab. Took the better part of a morning but wasn't complicated.

View attachment 28975
Being that you are running a spacer lift please extend your bump stops to match. Not doing so will get you in a bind in a bad way. Spacer lifts allow the shock travel to bottom out before the bump stops are even close to contact. Your lexus shares the same suspension components as the FJ, Tacoma and 4runner all of these will have the same issues with lift spacers. Save your self the hurt.

CB9C808F-65E4-4B02-B8B5-D63324610EB5-19791-000027D8AC1143E8.jpegD1223792-F904-4998-AC8E-8BECD1E31D0D-19791-000027D92F879655.jpeg

A set of adjustable Bilstein 5100 struts would be a low cost option to the spacers and allow you to actually use the wheel travel you gain from the lift they provide.

East coast gear supply makes a bushing to replace the drivers side needle bearing in the differential. The needle bearing will fail after being lifted and cause a vibration that will only go away if the vehicle is in 4wd.

Just trying to help.

Last edited:

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Being that you are running a spacer lift please extend your bump stops to match. Not doing so will get you in a bind in a bad way. Spacer lifts allow the shock travel to bottom out before the bump stops are even close to contact. Your lexus shares the same suspension components as the FJ, Tacoma and 4runner all of these will have the same issues with lift spacers. Save your self the hurt.

View attachment 29178View attachment 29179

A set of adjustable Bilstein 5100 struts would be a low cost option to the spacers and allow you to actually use the wheel travel you gain from the lift they provide.

East coast gear supply makes a bushing to replace the drivers side needle bearing in the differential. The needle bearing will fail after being lifted and cause a vibration that will only go away if the vehicle is in 4wd.

Just trying to help.
Thanks for the heads up- I'll look into that!

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Thanks for the heads up- I'll look into that!
No problem. Like I said just looking out. I have seen several Toyota variants with this suspension stranded due to these spacer lifts when not done correctly. They are fine for a daily driver but a rig that is going to see regular off road use there are much better alternatives.

Last edited: