Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

Whew!!.. Has been a busy week, work and rigs. TreadWright drive tires installed on the F450/ "Big Girl" today. Aggressive, deep AT tread, and they are true 32" tires, compared to the barely 31" flat tread-patterned Generals previously. Very happy [emoji16]

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Nope but the 15 days is unrealistic in my book, so I'm not sweating it yet. Gobi told me they would have my replacement wind fairing out 2 weeks ago, but we know how those time frames go. As for the email communication, I only sent 2 but replied to both within an hour and even after typical business hours. Ill throw another email out and see what I get if you like?
Not sure what you did @utspoolup but I heard from Scott at Aiden James last night finally! Thank you. He reported some issues with customs but I have a tracking number for arrival on the 29th. Much mahalo.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Made up a quick set of bush cables/limb risers. Super easy, no hassle install, not permanent whatsoever.

Going to take another stab at these brackets. Will shave them down to a far more low-profile shape. Probably just leave a 1/4" above that hole, rounded, smoothed and painted.

Here's a photo of them all heatshrinked and pretty. Gonna stick them in a small pouch, and into the kit they go.

-CP TACO
OB #2376

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Not sure what you did @utspoolup but I heard from Scott at Aiden James last night finally! Thank you. He reported some issues with customs but I have a tracking number for arrival on the 29th. Much mahalo.
Wasnt me brother, I just sent an email asking on update timeframe as the activity I seen on several forums would make the 10-15 day lead time unrealistic.

Reactions: PNWInfernoPro

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

Built my battery tray for the second battery in my 4th Gen. Still need to do some grinding and paint it up (don't make fun of my crappy welds....I know they suck but they will hold.). I have to trim the PS lines a bit but that is not an issue. Have not done the math to the penny but I think I am in this for 40 bucks and my time, more pics to follow once finished and installed.

battery3.jpg

battery1.jpg battery2.jpg

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Wasnt me brother, I just sent an email asking on update timeframe as the activity I seen on several forums would make the 10-15 day lead time unrealistic.
Lol well just good timing then! I installed the new RTT from Freespirit Recreation 2 nights ago and put it up today for the kids to play around in and driveway camp tonight. My first RTT after a long time researching, planning, saving, and this is the FSR series XL canopy version. Was a great value with top-notch service from Casey at FSR. Arrived with free shipping in less than a week, 5% discount and free upgrade to both telescoping ladders. One of the largest sleeping areas of any RTT (78x96) and I totally dig the colors.

IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1362.JPG

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I finally got time to do the front shocks.

After 130k it was welk past time.

So I decided to do a bit of an upgrade. This was my first time using ever using an adjustable shock and boy I learned a lesson about them.

I had ordered these to accommodate the moderate lift I have but lining them up with the OEM and spacer they were coming up a bit short! So I started adjusting and adjusting. When it was all adjusted up ax high as I could take it the shock was still shorter the what I had taken out.

So I put the tires back on and found that I had gained over an 1 1/2 inchs of lift? Who doesn't want a little more clearance right?

But once I backed out of the driveway the reality of what I had done wad obvious. All that cranking and cranking on tbe adjusters hand added a LOT of pre load to the coil overs which made the front suspension on the Xterra almost uncontrollable. I was like a pogo stick.

So I cranked the adjusters back down to just about where I started and am much happier. [emoji41]

Even though the shock is shorter than the original I still seem to have gained about a 1/2 inch of lift. Now I do a fair amount of trig and geometry for work but this does not add up. Maybe the black art coil over springs? Not sure but I am I am happy with the end results.

Unfortunately I did discover that the bushings on my upper control arms are shot and when I called the dealer they said I would have to replace the whole control arm. So I think this may be time for another upgrade.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Glenn

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Lol well just good timing then! I installed the new RTT from Freespirit Recreation 2 nights ago and put it up today for the kids to play around in and driveway camp tonight. My first RTT after a long time researching, planning, saving, and this is the FSR series XL canopy version. Was a great value with top-notch service from Casey at FSR. Arrived with free shipping in less than a week, 5% discount and free upgrade to both telescoping ladders. One of the largest sleeping areas of any RTT (78x96) and I totally dig the colors.

View attachment 19543 View attachment 19544 View attachment 19545
Looks great! Does the cover go on with zippers or Velcro? What sliders do you have on?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
I finally got time to do the front shocks.

After 130k it was welk past time.

So I decided to do a bit of an upgrade. This was my first time using ever using an adjustable shock and boy I learned a lesson about them.

I had ordered these to accommodate the moderate lift I have but lining them up with the OEM and spacer they were coming up a bit short! So I started adjusting and adjusting. When it was all adjusted up ax high as I could take it the shock was still shorter the what I had taken out.

So I put the tires back on and found that I had gained over an 1 1/2 inchs of lift? Who doesn't want a little more clearance right?

But once I backed out of the driveway the reality of what I had done wad obvious. All that cranking and cranking on tbe adjusters hand added a LOT of pre load to the coil overs which made the front suspension on the Xterra almost uncontrollable. I was like a pogo stick.

So I cranked the adjusters back down to just about where I started and am much happier. [emoji41]

Even though the shock is shorter than the original I still seem to have gained about a 1/2 inch of lift. Now I do a fair amount of trig and geometry for work but this does not add up. Maybe the black art coil over springs? Not sure but I am I am happy with the end results.

Unfortunately I did discover that the bushings on my upper control arms are shot and when I called the dealer they said I would have to replace the whole control arm. So I think this may be time for another upgrade.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using OB Talk mobile app
If the overall length is shorter than what you removed then I would return them or call and ask them why they're shorter.
Even though you can raise the vehicle further than before you're still limiting yourself with those new dampers due to reduced droop which also limits articulation.
Having more height is good but articulation is what you really want and to reduce that is taking a step backwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Looks great! Does the cover go on with zippers or Velcro? What sliders do you have on?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thank you! The cover has a large YKK zipper, and there are six 1.5" straps that can also go over the top to prevent bellowing. I actually removed the straps thinking they were just for shipping (oops) and haven't noticed any flapping or bellowing without them. The sliders are Super Sliders from Rocky Road in Utah. Great price, reasonable shipping to NorCal and since they don't require welding I installed them myself in the garage. http://www.rocky-road.com/gx470-rock-sliders.html

Reactions: MagnoliaOverland

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

New leafs since OME can suck my balls. 2.5" lift and 550lbs over stock. Will be installing them next weekend if the weather is good, have new shackles and hardware. Super excited.

Replaced the ill-fitting weathertech rear mat. FYI if you own an Xterra, the rear mat is not for the X but a pathfinder and fits like complete shit. Moved to a lund catch all.... much better now.

I’m a light head (okay knife head and gun head too) but flashlight technology has taken off the last 5 or so years. And I decided to mount a pair of truck dedicated flashlights in the rig. Drivers side has a nitecore P12 (1000 lumen) powered by an 18650 battery. Passenger side has a nitecore MT2A (345 lumen) powered by a pair of AA batteries. I already have a Fenix HL23 headlamp in the 2nd glovebox, and in the electronics bag a Nitecore D4 charger (120VAC and 12VDC compatible) along with a dozen enelop max AA for most my electronics and a pair of Orbtronic 3400mah 18650 as I usually keep my Zebralight SC600 in my pocket. It’s just good to have light when needed, easy to grab, out of the way, and I like how it turned out.

Also added a little nonlethal aid in the truck. Stuck some 2” loop velco in the center console and placed a strip of hooks on the canister. Out of the way, protected with the safety tucked under the lip of the console. Would rather reach for this than the 45. Saber 3-in-1, larger 4 oz magnum container, same one you likely see on some police duty belts. Use to teach riot control courses in the Marine Corps so I’ve been peppered more than you would care to know, so blowback and secondary hit to myself is not a concern, and I know this stuff can be effective if properly delivered. Just like the firearm, hope to never have to use it, but will if I need too.