Tom K

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Zürich, Switzerland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JHR
I wear Keen Hiking boots. Good sticky rubber for grip on rocks and shake, waterproof and a toe cap for some extra protection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Interesting topic : For decades I swore by my Redwing Irish Setters. My first pair, because oof my stupidity lasted only 5 years, the second pair lasted 21 years and were re-soled at least twice that I recall. This time around though I discovered how much lighter the current generation of leather boots are, so about 3 years ago I picked up a pair of Asolo 520s. The difference in weight is astonishing. My feet are no longer sore and tired after a half, or full day of hiking and they give plenty of support while back packing. For driving off pavement, or working around the house I usually am wearing a simple Redwing 5 or6" work boot. For very light hiking, taking a walk, or riding my hybrid I've a pair of Merrell Moab Walkers. For just hanging out at camp or home I'm usually found in my sandals. When the Walkers wear out, I'll replace them with a high top Walker. Here is a photo of my vintage Redwings. They were a great boot and probably the new vintage lines are as well, but the Asolo 520s are more suitable for hiking and backpacking.
The old dog finally learned a new trick !! p1010363.jpg 5128MUn04xL.jpg

Reactions: Lead K9

citybiker

Rank 0

Contributor II

UK
First Name
C
Last Name
C
@MOAK

I've a pair of Karrimor Orkney hiking boots which look identical to your Aslo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Bought a new pair of walking boots today SCARPA bought the same brand all my life usualy get abought 3/4 years out of a pair have summer light weights gortex and winter boots Gortex lined
Got me to thinking good pair of boots have to be driven in although hate driving in me winter boots , oh and have Rw williams aussys for light duty
Keen or Merrill low-top hiking boots usually. If it's nasty out, I may throw on a pair of combat boots or my Mickey Mouse boots.

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

Because of all the years of abuse to my feet and ankles I can't wear low cut hiking boots. Also I wear a triple E width and the only ones I've really found that are wide enough and support me well enough are Keen and Under Armor. I have a couple of sets of both.

Captain Slow

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hertfordshire, England, U.K.
Member #

I bought Hanwag special forces gtx . They are a German mountain boot in leather with a vibram sole and goretex lined. They are a superb boot. Highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

I usually wear a pair of sage green steel toe Rocky's that the Air Force was nice enough to give me. I also have:
Under Armor, that wore out after 4 years of daily use.
Rocky's, some sort of waterproof hunting boot that I use when I know I'll be in wet.
Wolverines, I've worn on and off over the last 8 years.

I'd like to find a pair of medium weight waterproof boots that stay semi-cool. The things I want just don't come all in one package.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Honestly, I most often have on a pair of western boots for driving, walking around town, camp chores, and in the shop or studio. My most comfortable pair are Justin #JUS-1122; what they call their Natural MULEHIDE boot, though it's actually a thicker steer hide. They wear like iron. Buy 'em to fit, not to stretch. I'm only on my 2nd pair in well over 30yrs, seriously, and have only had to have the Hypalon work soles re-done. I'm not real keen on the light color when I get them so rub 'em up with neatsfoot oil to darken them a bit. They need it again, as you can see:

justinmulehide_model1122-sq.jpg

Like most great articles of long-lasting clothing and footwear I really like, though (think certain NorthFace syncline shirts or some of the best ExOfficio stuff), these boots have been discontinued. Unavailable. Probably never coming back. They were one of the few boots Justin made in the USA.

For hiking and when I want more ankle support for my 82yr old feet, I like Keen Koven Waterproof Mid Hikers, which they say is 100% waterproof because their "breathable mesh uppers" have "dry membranes (that) seal out moisture." I know they're pretty damned comfortable right out of the box. Bought mine at Cabela's online.

Keen_Koven-819083-9811.JPG

When I'm working with wood (in the woods or when carpentering) and want to protect my tootsies, I wear my trusty old Red Wing 590s with steel toe. I rub them up with neatsfoot oil every once in awhile, too, though with mink oil if I'm going to be in wet woods:

Redwing950_9812.JPG

For wintertime and shoveling snow, or walking in icey, muddy, or slushy conditions, there's nothing beats a good tall pair of Bogs Buckman boots. They are so comfortable. They simply just kick ass and look around for more:

Bogs-Buckman_9817.JPG

Bogs-Buckman_9820.JPG

Best thing you can do for your boots, and for your feet, is NOT to wear the same footwear two days in a row. Especially if you are prone to athlete's foot or any other type of fungal or bacterial problem. Your feet will thank you, you'll be far more comfortable, and your footwear will last far longer for the same amount of days worn.

Reactions: craigR and MOAK

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Interesting topic : For decades I swore by my Redwing Irish Setters. My first pair, because oof my stupidity lasted only 5 years, the second pair lasted 21 years and were re-soled at least twice that I recall. This time around though I discovered how much lighter the current generation of leather boots are, so about 3 years ago I picked up a pair of Asolo 520s. The difference in weight is astonishing. My feet are no longer sore and tired after a half, or full day of hiking and they give plenty of support while back packing. For driving off pavement, or working around the house I usually am wearing a simple Redwing 5 or6" work boot. For very light hiking, taking a walk, or riding my hybrid I've a pair of Merrell Moab Walkers. For just hanging out at camp or home I'm usually found in my sandals. When the Walkers wear out, I'll replace them with a high top Walker. Here is a photo of my vintage Redwings. They were a great boot and probably the new vintage lines are as well, but the Asolo 520s are more suitable for hiking and backpacking.
The old dog finally learned a new trick !! View attachment 30918 View attachment 30919
Those Asolos look really good. I'll check them out next time I'm in a place that has them.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Have both the Solomon ultra mid that I use with light packs <25lbs and the quest 4D for packs >25lbs for camping/backpacking. Socks are important too! Darn Tough and Smartwool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WindyCity_MDX

PNW_Tundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Moses Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Birdsell
Member #

I've had the Asolo Fugitive GTX for a little over a year of mild use. Pretty comfortable, light weight. So far no durability issues. After 18ish months there as water proof as the day I got them. Probably not ideal for walking around the camp. There a little stiff for just walking but awesome for climbing/hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Been wearing the Wolverine Wilderness hiking boot for a couple months now. I've worn Wolverines for work for years, and decided to give these a try. They're very comfortable, after about a week of break-in (which seems to be the norm for Wolverines of any style).
WBSM-W05745-042215-F15-000.jpg