What boots do members wear

• HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 14476

I currently wear out on my trips some Under Armour Valsetz RTS in their coyote brown, great for being out in the desert and having decent protection, while still being the most comfortable shoe I own

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I tend to bring 3 pairs of shoes / boots, which collectively cover most seasonal variations and need requirements
(all seasons can happen within the same day in Norway (and Iceland)).

IMG_4153 (2).JPG

The "general" shoe I use most of the time, is the Scarpa "Nepal" Comfort Fit.
It's light, very comfortable, and good enough to do simple walks and hikes.
Great general shoe...

IMG_4155 (2).JPG

The "Heavy Duty" boots are my Asolo Climbing Boots.
These are perfect for more serious hikes (very light, yet totally solid)
and even perfect for Ice Climbing (Stiff Sole) if required.

IMG_4154.JPG

The Hi-Tech "Sandels" are useful for those hot days, when you don't want your feet to fry during long distance drives,
or for knocking around campsite - good to let your feet breath....

IMG_4156.JPG

If you have space to take all 3, then I suggest considering this option for every trip.
Then , no matter what the weather throws at you, you are essentially prepared.

Hope this helped.

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

My go to boots are my Ecco hikers...I think I bought them used on eBay but they fit great and are very tough. I also have a boot warmer that works to dry them out when needed. I picked that up at Marks Workwearhouse a couple of years ago! IMG_1243.jpgIMG_1241.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

Hanwag Anisak GTX right now

I had my last hanwag (alaska) vor 9 years, this is the model i hike in now.

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I wear Georgia Light Workboots just about every day. They shine up well, and blend into the business environment when necessary. Hiking I swear by my Vasque Breeze II boots. Then intermittently, I have a pair of Rocky SV2 thrown in.

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I wear water proof leather work boots that support my ankles. I also use them when wrenching, hiking, gardening, walking... Today I'm wearing Lacrosse leather boots with a formed sole and steel toe. Previously I had a very cheap pair of Coleman branded work boots, they last for a long time some how.

For a hot second I bought a pair leather Dickies, that had string stitched through the sole so you walked on the string. I'm sure this is because they drop the boots in the shoe box before it's dry and the string is intended to stay only as long as the glue dries. But I emailed their support anyways and was told they don't make boots, they license the brand to Kodiak boots. Try to email Kodiak, nothing back from their support. A month later I left the boots in my truck and the soles separated. I've never had a boot fail so fast, but I check every boot I buy now because the stitched through the bottom of the sole (so you walk on the stitch at the toe) is very common.

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

VASQUE boots, I've got a couple different pairs. They work well with wide feet.

90% of the time I've got socks and sandals on though

Reactions: traileprsb

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Over the years I have worn many, Vasque, Danner, Bates, Converse, Herman Survivors, 5.11 etc... I don't spend everyday in the field, but when I do it can be in some of the harshest terrain and temperatures imaginable. From 125 degrees f to 15 feet of snow. The soles just don't last on any, they crack way before being worn out. Everyday use I wear Merrils, and hiking and for pleasure 4wd I wear 5.11 mid because they feel like sneakers. Being an old coot I try and make two things as comfortable as possible, my feet and my butt (my wife is first, that goes without saying).

Reactions: Eric Neal

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I bounce between my Keen Voyageur Mid's which are generally my everyday wear boot and my Lowa Renegade GTX. The Keen's are great, feel like a tennis shoe, lightweight, breathe well and have held up over the last two years of daily wear around town. The Lowa's are still very comfortable for all day, everyday wear, but they do weigh a fair amount more and retain heat more so than the Keen's. The Lowa's definitely offer more ankle support and the Gore-Tex is nice feature, although it's been rare when I have needed it much around here.

sleak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Helena, MT
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Leak
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It depends on conditions, if I know what they'll be. Hot/dry, Russell moccasin boots. Hot/wet, Army jungle boots, especially if there's mud. Cold, Danners.

archee29

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

St. Catharines, Ontario
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Lamarche
Member #

I wear Vasque St. Elias GTX w/ a Birkenstock insert. I use 'em for backcountry camping, and the Canadian winters. Very comfortable and plenty of support for when I portage my canoe.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i have some goretex solomon boots, but they get a bit hot to drive in. put those on when i get out of the truck. got some lowcut keen shoes that are great for driving and quick scouts outside in most weather. big sorell boots on standby in winter.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Merrell and Asolo get my vote...both fit comfortably and have lasted thousands of miles of hiking in all kinds of conditions.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

My go to boot is 5.11's evo series. I have had a couple now and no complaints with any of them. Also used them for work when I was still running a route and would be on my feet for 10 hours or longer with no major fatigue. Price point not bad either. For those who like tactical style boots they are a great option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app