• HTML tutorial

Angel Sterling

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Alberta, Canada
Member #

I'm rockin Merrells hiking boots.
Had them for 3 years and never failed me. Super comfy right out of the box, laces have never needed replacing, sole is holding well.
I've done mountain hiking in them, camping, daily wear.
The only problem is they've faded from a nice chocolate brown to a desert tan.

AAONMS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fruit Cove, FL
Member #

For hiking, I’ve had great luck with Vasque Breeze boots, the waterproof versions. I had a pair of first generation ones and when they wore out, replaced them with a third generation pair.
I won a pair of Keen Durand Waterproof Mids and enjoy using them for Scout camping and when offroading.
I’d recommend either.

Reactions: Angel Sterling

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Another vote for -
Salomon Men's Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot

I have 2 pairs of these and wear them everywhere, even to the gym! Great support for my weak ankles, lightweight (relatively) and excellent grip in the dirt.

Amazon has a great deal on them every once in a while at $160 with FREE shipping.

Kenstaroni

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

Asolo or Lowa have been the best for me. Asolo if you're hard on boots as they last a long time, Lowa for comfort. Both available in Gore-Tex versions.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Tylers Phone 2015 857.jpg

Merrell Moab high top shoes. I wore steel toe Red Wing Pecos boots for years but I've decided I like the lighter weight of the shoes on the trail. I've got both the ventilated and water proof ones but I think I like the ventilated better. I usually have a spare pair of shoes with me if they get wet and my feet seem to feel better after a day wearing the ventilated ones.

I have some insulated boots I don't remember the name of for winter but I don't do much outside in the winter except what needs to be done.
I've been wearing Merrell Moabs for three years and I love them. Awesome shoes that have survived everything I have thrown their way to include a 4 month trip to Africa.

- Tyler

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryD

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

I bought a pair of Cabela's Roughneck 6" waterproof boots over a year ago, and I wear them pretty much every single day. They're comfortable, fit well, are actually waterproof, and have held up incredibly well.

download.png

Reactions: Road and citybiker

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

I've got the Keen Targhee II's for boots and the Merrill Moab's for shoes.

I'm currently looking for a decent all year rain/mud boot. Something like these Helly Hansen's. Figured I'll run over to Dicks Sporting Goods before I go on my next trip for something cheaper.

Beer Hounds

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

I am in either Merrell hiking boots or Georgia Romeo's. The Romeo's are about the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I was a devout Danner fan. I wore the soles out on multiple pairs of Pronghorns on the Eastern Oregon lava rocks. But since they quit building them in Portland, the quality is not what it used to be, the uppers fall apart before the soles are wore out. Went to a set of Merrell Moab 2 w/8" tops (I need the ankle support) and love them, great fit, last well and never a blister.

SP849_COY_1500_3.jpg

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
I used to be a pro boot fitter at a high end outdoor store. Of all the many pair I have, my favorite is a 20 year olf leather LaSportiva hiker. All leather, welted Vibrum sole and a heavy shank. I'm a big guy, so they worl perfectly for me....and they will last longer than twinkies and cockroaches...

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Being a big guy it is hard to find shoes or boots that don't break down fairly quick for me. That being said I have had good experiences with Bates boots for long pants. I can get about 2.5 years out of a pair before the soles are gone. For shorts, I wear Columbia north plains hiking shoe. I have just worn out my first pair I have had them almost 4 years.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
If you have feet like a Hobbit there is no better fitting shoe than a Keen. I like Merrill Moab too. Just recently got a pair of Keen Targhee iii. Only time will tell how long they last. My first pair of Keens are worn to the belts like an old tire.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
If you have feet like a Hobbit there is no better fitting shoe than a Keen. I like Merrill Moab too. Just recently got a pair of Keen Targhee iii. Only time will tell how long they last. My first pair of Keens are worn to the belts like an old tire.

How long did it take you to wear the keens out? I use to wear through new ballence within 6 months. Things just start unraveling. And while nit quite hobbit feet 10.5 Wide- extra wide are not all that common.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
How long did it take you to wear the keens out? I use to wear through new ballence within 6 months. Things just start unraveling. And while nit quite hobbit feet 10.5 Wide- extra wide are not all that common.
The Keens I had last lasted roughly 2 years. nearly daily use. Keens are already wider than most and you can get wider from their site or from REI.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I'm on my 3rd pair of Vasque Sundowners. Also have a pair of White' Logging boots for Winter use.

Last edited:

meloyelo78

Rank 0

Contributor I

5 years ago I got a pair of KEEN Targhee II Mid boots while setting up for a trip to the tip of Cape York Peninsula. 70,000 kilometres and a lap of Australia later, they wore out. They're a great general hiking boot, with good traction in the bush and a good feel to drive with (some don't have any sensation on the accelerator). I bought another two pairs - one to wear and the other to have in case Keen changes their product - so I'm set for the next 10 years, I guess.

Cheers from Aus
Pete