What boots do members wear

• HTML tutorial

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

Here in Texas and most hot weather environments is the Belleville 390DES. About $130 on Amazon or found at most military supply merchants.

Belleville_390des.jpg

Good enough for infantryman to wear carrying a heavy loadout, good enough for me and my extra pounds. The most comfortable boot I've ever worn . . . starting day 1. No break-in required. I'm wearing them right now in the office on "casual Friday".

Reactions: craigR and DanR

motorpig60

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mason, OH
Member #

I wear Danner Patrol Gore Tex pretty much any time I have long pants on. While they need resoled in the worst way, the pair I wear on my motorcycle(almost every day) are 14 years old.

They started as my duty boot, then got rotated out after 5 years. They are heavy and expensive, but I haven't found a better boot for me.

Sent from my LG-H901 using OB Talk mobile app

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
I wear Oboz Bridgers for just about everything. Last about 2-3 years of daily wear. Comfortable right out of the box with no break-in.
Use them for year round SAR missions carrying 35lbs of gear and no problems.

For colder weather, really steep and rocky terrain, heavy packs I wear Asolo Fugitives. My Asolos have lasted for years. Excellent boot!!!

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Bashmaster

Rank I

Enthusiast I

A boot that really surprised me was the Danner 8 inch rat thats made for the USMC. I was urged by a friend to buy a pair off eBay as he swore they where comfortable and the price was right ($52), I am not too happy with the speed laces and the 8 inch height but they really are comfortable and well made and best of all recraftable. Outside of those i do some trail running while out there so i stick to salomon as of now

Reactions: motorpig60

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I just picked up a pair of Oboz Tamaracks from REI in November. I've been wearing them every day for work since then, 10-12hr days. This is my first pair of Oboz, so far I've been really happy. The construction seems solid, big toe bumper like Keen's and comfortable right out of the box. Would definitely recommend.

Last edited:

F-Bobby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Watertown Mass
Member #

Currently I've got 3 pairs of Merrells. 1 pair of the original Moab hiking boots. 1 pair of the Moab FST shoes and 1 of the FST boots
Then I've got my Keens that I wear for work not great for driving, but great for being on my feet 10 hours a day.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

I have a few different boots for different conditions, but most of the time I wear a Solomon Quest GTX. They are comfortable and provide great stability without being too stiff like some. One of the biggest reasons I wear Solomon is because they hold up and last. I have used Lowas in the past, they are a decent boot, but they don't seem to hold up to the abuse I gave them. I own a few pair of Danner's as well, excellent boots all around with the only drawback being the weight, they are porkers. I have a pair of Asolo's as well, but they are too much for 90% of people's needs and they are a true mountaineering boot that is simply too stiff for standard walking.
I'd recommend staying away from Merrells, the quality just isn't there, sorry if this fact offends some of you. I saw another member post about Belleville's, in no way are those what I would consider an excellent boot. The only thing they have going for them is durability and life span. Uncle sugar stuck that junk on my feet in the Army and as medic I witnessed some rather gruesome victims of those boots because of their construction. There's no way I'd spend any money at all on a pair of Belleville anything. That said, different strokes for different folks, and they may not be half bad for simply walking around in, but if you carry any type of load out on your back then I'd run from those boots.
Everyone's foot is different and we all have different comfort levels and needs in a boot. Try them all on, do some research and then purchase the best boot for you, that you can afford.

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
For hiking and backpacking I love my Lowa Tibet GTX mids. A little heavy but never fail me. For trail work, sawyer stuff, and disaster response or SAR I’m wearing my Danner USMC RAT boots with steel toe. These boots are amazing, they have taken me safely through so many places.

6CCEB46E-D2C2-47B8-BC81-004847CF343E.jpeg 6A0AE612-1B51-4BAD-8177-BEF501D29AA3.jpeg

Reactions: Road

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I don't even want to know how much this boot would have cost without insurance... I'll be in it for at least 3 weeks. Hahahaha!!!

View attachment 19647
Gah, hope you got better man! I was in one of those for awhile due to an accident over summer, I'm still icing my leg daily to get the swelling down.

I've been a big fan of my Lowa GTX boots, great lightweight hikers. I've probably had them since 08/09? Picked up some Danner Crater Rim's on Black Friday and love them, for a heavy duty boot it was like they were broken-in out of the box.

La Sportiva Raptor's are also in my closet, as well as a couple pair of Lucchese's.

IMG_9448.JPG
IMG_9446.JPG

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

@Sparky Haha, yeah my leg is doing a lot better. Thanks! It still has issues, mostly for strength, but I'm doing about a 3 mile walk everyday now. That includes a good 300' hill climb too.

Reactions: Sparky

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Lately I have been very fond of my milsurp Belleville desert boots. I can wear them all day without issue. With the arctic temps we've been having, they surprisingly keep my feet warm if I wear decent socks and if there isn't any snow.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Interesting to see how this thread has been added to over the months. Saw a fellow photog in the Smokies wearing a great looking pair of LOWA Zephyr GTX Hi and he raved about them. I see in this thread that LOWAs are favored by quite a few of you.

Where have you found is the best place to get them? I travel the whole country, so location isn't a big deal, and I'd rather try them first for my first purchase, then can mail order later if I need another pair.

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Interesting to see how this thread has been added to over the months. Saw a fellow photog in the Smokies wearing a great looking pair of LOWA Zephyr GTX Hi and he raved about them. I see in this thread that LOWAs are favored by quite a few of you.

Where have you found is the best place to get them? I travel the whole country, so location isn't a big deal, and I'd rather try them first for my first purchase, then can mail order later if I need another pair.
REI always has them, other than that I'd look to Amazon. They are a great boot, sorta thin in the sole and foot bed but that provides better dexterity. I loved the two pair I had, but I simply couldn't get them to last/hold up so I moved on to other boots.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Interesting to see how this thread has been added to over the months. Saw a fellow photog in the Smokies wearing a great looking pair of LOWA Zephyr GTX Hi and see in this thread that LOWAs are favored by quite a few of you.

REI always has them, other than that I'd look to Amazon. They are a great boot, sorta thin in the sole and foot bed but that provides better dexterity. I loved the two pair I had, but I simply couldn't get them to last/hold up so I moved on to other boots.
Thanks Tex, much appreciated. I'll check their online prices, then stop at REI next time I am near one.