What boots do members wear

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
7 pages and no sign of Danners, so I'll break that tradition now :) (Edit: nevermind, I've been corrected and see a few other folks have tickets on the Danner Heel-Toe express!)

Danner Pronghorns. Gore-tex and very comfy once broken in. Non stop wear almost daily for two years winter and summer and they are still as new.

And for those who are into Boot Accessories, get yourself a plug in boot dryer for your house. Best investment of $50 at Costco I've ever made. The boots get a gentle airflow so you put on dry boots each day (while at home at least) and thus they last a lot longer.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: k9sar and Raul B

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

7 pages and no sign of Danners, so I'll break that tradition now :)

Danner Pronghorns. Gore-tex and very comfy once broken in. Non stop wear almost daily for two years winter and summer and they are still as new.

And for those who are into Boot Accessories, get yourself a plug in boot dryer for your house. Best investment of $50 at Costco I've ever made. The boots get a gentle airflow so you put on dry boots each day (while at home at least) and thus they last a lot longer.

I loved my danners as well.. Served me well for over 3 years. I'm currently wearing some golden fox footwear. Def not as comfy as danners but a 3rd of the cost....

-Raul

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
My Danners were pretty cheap -- I think I paid $140 CAD on amazon. They are the mass produced line but I've got no complaints.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

7 pages and no sign of Danners, so I'll break that tradition now :)

There's four pages, and Danner is mentioned on all four.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
There's four pages, and Danner is mentioned on all four.
Seven when you are on Tapatalk with whatever settings I have.

You are right about the Danners being mentioned though. I blame lack of sleep and / or caffeine! Don't know how I missed the other mentions!

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm looking at getting a pair of Danner Mountain Light IIs. Anyone have any experience with them? My biggest thing is I need to be able to feel the pedals (manual transmission), and there are no places around me that carry my size unfortunately. I like that they're rebuildable, so my plan is to buy once and cry once. I'd appreciate any feedback on these.

XFZJ80X

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've had these Aldo boots for a few years now. The leather is great but the inners not so much. I always buy on sale. They were $60. Think I got my money out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I'm looking at getting a pair of Danner Mountain Light IIs. Anyone have any experience with them? My biggest thing is I need to be able to feel the pedals (manual transmission), and there are no places around me that carry my size unfortunately. I like that they're rebuildable, so my plan is to buy once and cry once. I'd appreciate any feedback on these.
I really don't mean to be rude, but you guys read through the threads before posting right? On the top of page two is my post where I talk about my Danner Mountain Light II boots.

They're great boots. A little on the heavy side when compared to more modern designs that utilize a glue-on sole and sections of fabrics instead of leather. It took me about a year to break them in, but that was mostly due to it being too hot to wear an all-leather, Gore-tex boot within a month of receiving them. They've been my go-to footwear this winter though.

They're stiff and supportive like you'd want out of heavy-duty hiking boots. I've walked through snow, mud, and water puddles and the leather and Gore-tex kept my feet dry. I haven't had them submerged in water, but I'd assume they'd take forvever to dry out if I did.

If they get muddy, I can clean them up in a few minutes with a damp rag. I routinely apply Otter Wax leather salve to condition the leather and keep them looking good. I'll occasionally use brown Kiwi to brush shine them and wear them with nicer clothes and I get compliments on them often when I do.

Money and time well spent.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I really don't mean to be rude, but you guys read through the threads before posting right? On the top of page two is my post where I talk about my Danner Mountain Light II boots.

They're great boots. A little on the heavy side when compared to more modern designs that utilize a glue-on sole and sections of fabrics instead of leather. It took me about a year to break them in, but that was mostly due to it being too hot to wear an all-leather, Gore-tex boot within a month of receiving them. They've been my go-to footwear this winter though.

They're stiff and supportive like you'd want out of heavy-duty hiking boots. I've walked through snow, mud, and water puddles and the leather and Gore-tex kept my feet dry. I haven't had them submerged in water, but I'd assume they'd take forvever to dry out if I did.

If they get muddy, I can clean them up in a few minutes with a damp rag. I routinely apply Otter Wax leather salve to condition the leather and keep them looking good. I'll occasionally use brown Kiwi to brush shine them and wear them with nicer clothes and I get compliments on them often when I do.

Money and time well spent.
I did read through the thread, but it's been a couple of days. I apologize for asking. Would you say that the sole is too stiff to feel the pedal then? That's my biggest concern as I stated.

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

Really liking these Chippewa Apache Lace-Up Boots that I purchased a couple of years ago, they are mostly my fall through spring footwear.

They are pretty comfortable, and I do plan on getting another pair in black.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I did read through the thread, but it's been a couple of days. I apologize for asking. Would you say that the sole is too stiff to feel the pedal then? That's my biggest concern as I stated.
No worries.

I think I may have driven a manual with them on and don't recall any issues, but they're definitely not going to give very good pedal feedback compared to soft-soled shoes. If you require pedal feel, but still want over-the-ankle waterproof footwear, you might look into something like a Salomon XA Pro mid. That'll basically be a high-top trail running shoe.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I bought a pair of military surplus desert boats for a trip to Morocco and the soles melted in the desert [emoji24] Fortunately had a pair of RM Williams boots I bought years back in a sale with me. Wear them for pretty much everyday now whatever I'm doing. Couldn't afford a new pair though - very expensive these days!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I've had the same pair of Vasque boots since 2007. The treads are pretty well gone but they still shed water like the day I bought them.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Hello.
I wear S.W.A.T. 9" classic side zips. Kinda like a tennis shoe boot. Im on my 5th pair. Last me about a year.
I dislocated my ankle in 05 so I need ankle support. I give credit to my Redwings for the dislocation instead of a break.
My next pair of boots Im planning on going back to Redwings.

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Winter in deep snow,: Sorel Sentry boots that I've had at least 25 years. They don't make the steel toe Security any more, but the closest current are the 1964 T Wool boot; 10" boots with the felt liner.

To follow up on this, I've had a pair of old Sorel snow boots I've had since I was 16. I'm 32 now and they're still going strong. I've had to replace the laces a few times, but they're warm, dry, and waterproof up to my calf.

Probably my favorite winter boots I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

My daily boot is a pair of lined Chippewa's I picked up at a second hand shop, so I'm not sure they're exact model.

To be honest, they're waterproof, have good support, and a welted sole, so I've been sold.

Had a pair of REI boots, but the sole came off after about 12-13ish years of hard use? I consider them a success, but I wanted to give someone else a shot.

jonchacon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Currently breaking in some Danners..model #35220

My Chippewas decided to give out and it was time to find a new boot.

I don't know how you feel about made in the US vs overseas but some Danner models are made in Oregon and fully re-craftable.

Reactions: Sparky