What are Your Favorite Overland Recipes?

• HTML tutorial

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
My personal favorite is my chipotle chicken skillet in the skottle.

Chicken breast
McCormack’s grill mates chipotle marinade
Water
Olive oil
Can of black beans
Can of corn
Can or rotel
Shredded Mexican cheese

I Marinate 3 diced chicken breasts in the chipotle marinade with water and oil, then cook the chicken till almost done, then throw in the canned veggies and keep stirring to keep from burning. Once everything is hot, add the cheese and mix it in to thicken the liquid. Wrap it up in tortillas. Delish.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
My wife makes a lemon and blueberry cake in a cast iron Dutch oven that would knock your socks off.
1 box lemon cake mix
Butter
blueberry pie filling
Throw everything in the Dutch oven and cook for about 20 minute with coals on top and around base.
Everything is better in a dutch oven. :smile:

Reactions: Drifterman

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
My wife's favorite, especially in Fall, is something we call Cincinnati Jambalaya. It needs only 3 ingredients, not including oil and spices, and a medium sized pot:
  • Bag of Uncle Ben's Brown & Wild Rice
  • Standard 16oz. can of pinto beans (not a low sodium variant – the salt in the beans will give you the perfect amount for the meal)
  • Trader Joe's Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage (2 or 3 links, depending on how much meat you want, out of the 5 total in the bag)
Steps:
  1. On medium-high heat, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
  2. Brown the sausage links on all sides.
  3. Take the sausage links out and set them to the side.
  4. Turn heat down to low-medium and allow to cool down a bit.
  5. Pour contents of rice bag into pot, add 2 tbsp. of water and heat to soft consistency. (FYI, if you're making this at home, you can just pop the bag in the microwave for 90 seconds)
  6. Pour in beans.
  7. Add spices – a couple dashes of cumin and several dashes of cinnamon (yes, cinnamon, and probably more than you would think makes sense :blush:)
  8. Stir everything together, mashing up some of the beans to allow some bean juice to thicken things up a bit.
  9. While the beans and rice are heating up, cut the sausage links into bite-sized chunks.
  10. Once your beans and rice are heated to preference, throw in the sausage pieces, stir everything together.
  11. Enjoy! (FYI, it's tradition for me and my wife that we always eat it out of a mug, not a bowl – but you do you)

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
All of my favorite ingredients, tossed on the skottle, with some olive oil and vinegar, and some Tony Chachere’s or Montreal Steak Seasoning thrown in for more flavor. Toss this in a warm tortilla, and I’m good!

View attachment 91941

How do you like the ARB box?

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

How do you like the ARB box?
I like the ARB drawers a lot. They're incredibly well made, provide good volume, and helps really keep things organized. No regrets at all. I do wish that I could stack the two on top of each other, but the angle of the rear seats does not allow for that second drawer to be stacked-it would push the drawer back into the glass. If I could stack them I'd buy a slide and stove combo like AT Overland's and have that sit next to the stacked drawers. It would make it easier to get into the top of the fridge since it would sit lower, and then you'd have enough room to run a shelf of some sort above your stacked ARB's and fridge/stove slide. Of course, you could get rid of your rear seats and it wouldn't be an issue, but I really like having my full interior(I drive it every day).

Michael G.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans, Louisiana
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gauthreaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5AZA
I like the ARB drawers a lot. They're incredibly well made, provide good volume, and helps really keep things organized. No regrets at all. I do wish that I could stack the two on top of each other, but the angle of the rear seats does not allow for that second drawer to be stacked-it would push the drawer back into the glass. If I could stack them I'd buy a slide and stove combo like AT Overland's and have that sit next to the stacked drawers. It would make it easier to get into the top of the fridge since it would sit lower, and then you'd have enough room to run a shelf of some sort above your stacked ARB's and fridge/stove slide. Of course, you could get rid of your rear seats and it wouldn't be an issue, but I really like having my full interior(I drive it every day).
I have been looking at all kind of storage, I really like trekboxx https://www.trekboxx.com/jkusa
But hate the price. Considered trying to build something similar.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I have been looking at all kind of storage, I really like trekboxx https://www.trekboxx.com/jkusa
But hate the price. Considered trying to build something similar.
Yea I really like that TrekBoxx system as well, but it's outrageously expensive. If I had the skills, and the time, to build my own, I would have, but I just don't. The ARB quality is top notch. These drawers will literally last forever. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I'll like to make Chili, Coq au Vin and Beouf Bourgignon in my pressure cooker. I'll use my Adventure Scottle to "grill" on.

Last edited:

Inkedshooter

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Clovis, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Redgrave
Member #

Our family loves tacos, grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, and of course breakfast while camping. For an upcoming trip we’ve been trying a couple recipes for ramen and baked potato soup.

For the ramen:

2-3 packages of the refrigerated brand/s found usually in or close to the veggie area.
We even use the dried soup base to make the broth. I’ll add the base just before the water is at a full boil. Then add what ever veggies (most of the time a little bean sprout, some shredded carrot, and I’ll sneak in a bit of mushrooms). For meat I like using chicken thighs, pre-prepped/seared on both sides seasoned with One and Done, then I’ll chop the chicken into small pieces and cook in a pan with olive oil till the outer surface is slightly crispy. Add the noodles when the water is boiling, let boil for about 3-5min, then dish adding the chicken when serving to keep some of the crispness.

Baked Potato soup:

I’ll pre cook 4-5 Idaho potatoes before the trip and chop them into about 1/2” cubes. In my pot I’ll first add 1/2 white onion, 1 cup of chopped bacon, a couple chopped celery sticks, season with salt and pepper (about 1/2 a teaspoon), then let the onion and celery sweat while the bacon gets slightly brown. Then add 2-3 cans/boxes of chicken stock and the chopped potato. Let it all simmer in the pot 2-4 hours depending on how much I cooked the potatoes. Once the soup base is done I’ll add about 2 cups of cream, let it simmer for a few more minutes, turn off the heat and let it just sit in the pot for 30-60 min to let the soup thicken. When serving I’ll add a scoop of sour cream, some shredded cheddar, more bacon, and for me a pinch more of pepper. With a grilled cheese sandwich using sourdough it’s magic!