What are Overland Bound Challenge Coins?

• HTML tutorial

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
*Update 2/28/24* Hi everyone! We are updating the challenge coin program for 2024 and will post our new program when it is live. Look for a formal announcement soon.

What is an Overland Bound Challenge Coin?

Challenge Coins
have a long history in the U.S Armed Services and we are proud to extend this tradition to Overland Bound. Originally conceived by Overland Bound Military Veterans, this series holds the same intent, tradition, community, and acknowledgement as the military equivalent.

The Overland Bound Ambassador Challenge Coin is held by and granted to individuals who spread the word, help others in the community, and demonstrate Overland Bound core values.

image.jpeg

There are three types of OB Coins:
  1. Sequentially numbered : These cannot be bought and are earned in the field, on the trail, or in the forums. They are gifted by Overland Bound or its members.
  2. Unnumbered: These have no number on the face and can be purchased here so you may gift them to reward an individule: Blank Coin
  3. Member Numbered: These will have your OB Member number etched on the face. People will know who the coin originated from, even if it is granted to multiple people over the years and can be purchased here: Member Coin
Coins are heavy metal with epoxy color measuring 1.5 inches diameter and 4mm (5/32) inches thickness.

Want to earn a FREE coin? Please do!

By engaging with the community, you can earn a free numbered coin (again, these cannot be bought). Overland Bound has four badge tracks that support our founding principles. You can find them in your "Profile Page" under the tab "Badges". The four tracks are:
  1. Ambassador - Spread the word, reinforce our values, demonstrate through action that which we stand for. Help others in the community
  2. (coming soon) Adventurer - Map locations and travel, sharing destinations and helping others explore
  3. (coming soon) Innovator - Unique inventions, techniques, or suggestions to make overlanding easier
  4. (coming soon) Challenger - Extreme travel conditions, recovery, and overcoming challenges you face while overlanding
If you complete all goals in any track, Overland Bound will send you the numbered coin for that track for FREE! Goals must be completed from date of joining the forums or Overland Bound.

If you complete all tracks, we will send you the "Overland Bound Legendary Member" coin for FREE! No version of this coin can ever be bought.

*It has also been alluded to, if a Ambassador Challenge Coin is presented by a member at an Overland Bound gathering, and tapped on a hard surface, you have 10 seconds to show your coin, or the drink is on you, whether it be beer or Sarsaparilla!

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
does this count as a challenge replacing both front struts in an autozone parking lot after exploding them on the trail.
Ha! I think so! We are still defining (community will help) the requirements for other coins, but that's a good candidate! I updated the post to show which tracks/coins are ready! Also, you can read the requirements in "Profile Page" -> "Badges".

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

This is a really great idea! I'm heavy metal and I'm glad to see the coins are too \m/

Based on the Ambassador version and OB Badge I'm really looking forward to seeing what the other coins will look like too.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

What is a Challenge Coin?

Challenge Coins
have a long history in the U.S Armed Services and we are proud to extend this to Overland Bound. Originally conceived by Overland Bound Military Veterans, this series holds the same intent, tradition, community, and acknowledgement as the military equivalent.

The Overland Bound Ambassador Challenge Coin is held by and granted to individuals who spread the word, help others in the community, and demonstrate Overland Bound core values.

There are three types of OB Coins:
  1. Sequentially numbered : These cannot be bought and are earned in the field, on the trail, or in the forums. They are gifted by Overland Bound or its members.
  2. Unnumbered: These have no number on the face and can be purchased here so you may gift them to reward an individule: Blank Coin
  3. Member Numbered: These will have your OB Member number etched on the face. People will know who the coin originated from, even if it is granted to multiple people over the years and can be purchased here: Member Coin
Coins are heavy metal with epoxy color measuring 1.5 inches diameter and 4mm (5/32) inches thickness.

Want to earn a coin for free?

These forums have four badge tracks that support our founding principles. You can find them in your "Profile Page" under the tab "Badges". The four tracks are:
  1. Ambassador - Spread the word, reinforce our values, demonstrate through action that which we stand for. Help others in the community
  2. (coming soon) Adventurer - Map locations and travel, sharing destinations and helping others explore
  3. (coming soon) Innovator - Unique inventions, techniques, or suggestions to make overlanding easier
  4. (coming soon) Challenger - Extreme travel conditions, recovery, and overcoming challenges you face while overlanding
If you complete all goals in any track, Overland Bound will send you the numbered coin for that track for FREE!

If you complete all tracks, we will send you the "Overland Bound Legendary Member" coin for FREE! This coin can NEVER be bought.

*It has also been alluded to, if a Ambassador Challenge Coin is presented by a member at an Overland Bound gathering, and tapped on a hard surface, you have 10 seconds to show your coin, or the drink is on you, whether it be beer or Sarsaparilla!
How about giving all our members who are currently on deployment a free coin as a thank you?

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
While I understand the sentiment, these coins aren't free to make or ship. Maybe a list could be put together for a coin donation setup at the store, where members can purchase coins for deployed members. Something like that. We need to keep the costs for members low and voluntary.

Thanks for your service!

NoTreesMC2

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Yea, installing struts in the middle of a parking lot after limping it off the trail after you jump your buddies FJ was fun.

ODFJ and I have done field repairs on multiple trucks and our own.

Does pushing / tow roping a KTM dirt bike up Poker Flat trail for 3 hours count? The rider was exhausted from trying to ride that trail. We let him ride inside the FJ while Zach, Matt and myself pulled this bike up a rocky trail.

I think that is my favorite part about this hobby, being able to help people when the need arises.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
How about giving all our members who are currently on deployment a free coin as a thank you?
While I understand the sentiment, these coins aren't free to make or ship. Maybe a list could be put together for a coin donation setup at the store, where members can purchase coins for deployed members. Something like that. We need to keep the costs for members low and voluntary.

Thanks for your service!
@Laughing Otter started a thread in general discussion to coordinate this. OB will be donating shipping so all funds go to coins, not shipping costs!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Cool idea and I think I can earn one in the navigation category... :) I really think these could be emblems for our rigs. I like the phrasing on the Ambassador coin. They could also be stickers and shirts. I am not trying to take away from the meaning of the coins. It is just a great simple message.

Reactions: Michael

TrailTrooper4wd

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Las Vegas, Nevada
Member #

I am fairly new to Overland style exploring, I stay busy on Instagram just sharing my everyday travels, trail runs and outings. This is where I came across Overland Bound. I immediately got my OB number and Medallions. Now I see this, I think its very cool that you do this to further involve and grow the community! Its motivating and inspiring!

tntc

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peabody
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Cobb
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1-TTC
Service Branch
Navy
Interesting concept and open to all. Very nice!

Reactions: Michael

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Oh my I did not expect this! I received my Base Camp Flag today but the Ambassador Coin with it is over the top! Your reaction when I offered a bit of support to a couple going through what must have been a couple of very rough days was all the thanks I needed. Knowing I might have made you feel better was priceless. I just wish I could have actually done something.

I should tell you a little story. This is the second Coin I have been gifted with. And your Ambassador Coin now resides with my 2002 Air War College Coin. A good friend of mine represented the United States Coast Guard in that most important War College year. He presented me with his Let's Roll Coin at the graduation ceremony. I feel that coin embodies the spirit of Todd Beamer. You may know that Beamer was part of a group that stopped hijacked Flight 93 from reaching its target, some believe the target was the White House. (For anyone too young to remember Beamer and his "Let's Roll" google it.)

My wife and I stayed after the ceremony to socialize with members from all of our military branches that day. Many of those men and women received orders that day. War. Sobering.

Corrie and Michael, Thanks for everything. Your Coin is in good company. And I have two good luck coins now. OB Let's Roll.JPGOB LEt's Roll back.JPG

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Oh my I did not expect this! I received my Base Camp Flag today but the Ambassador Coin with it is over the top! Your reaction when I offered a bit of support to a couple going through what must have been a couple of very rough days was all the thanks I needed. Knowing I might have made you feel better was priceless. I just wish I could have actually done something.

I should tell you a little story. This is the second Coin I have been gifted with. And your Ambassador Coin now resides with my 2002 Air War College Coin. A good friend of mine represented the United States Coast Guard in that most important War College year. He presented me with his Let's Roll Coin at the graduation ceremony. I feel that coin embodies the spirit of Todd Beamer. You may know that Beamer was part of a group that stopped hijacked Flight 93 from reaching its target, some believe the target was the White House. (For anyone too young to remember Beamer and his "Let's Roll" google it.)

My wife and I stayed after the ceremony to socialize with members from all of our military branches that day. Many of those men and women received orders that day. War. Sobering.

Corrie and Michael, Thanks for everything. Your Coin is in good company. And I have two good luck coins now. View attachment 9002View attachment 9003
The obligation we have to this awesome community cannot be understated. We are honored. Thank YOU! It's been trying, but we are fighters, and this community is too important to falter under attack. A kind word and support goes a long ways in trying times. We are indeed in good company, and we appreciate it!

M

Last edited: