Rank IV

Advocate III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Morpus
Member #

First major overland trip of the year! We will be heading up the Washington BDR in June to either complete the route or get as far as we can. Because of the time-sensitivity of a long-range expedition, it is important that we get on the road on time. We will meet at Thunder Island Brewing Co. in Cascade Locks, OR near the Bridge of the Gods by 9 AM and begin the trip at 10 AM. This hour will give us a chance to finalize any last-minute prep.

Neuvik

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Trent
Last Name
W
Member #

Why Crazy? I don't see anything on forums for WBDR 2020.
Maybe this

looked like fun to me.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Why Crazy? I don't see anything on forums for WBDR 2020.
Maybe this

looked like fun to me.
Yes that would be the thread... and while everyone said it was fun, everyone agreed the carnage wasn’t worth it... 4 miles traveled in one day... and this year is going to be even worse due to the late blizzards

SugarGnar

Rank III

Member III

Blaine, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kahre
Member #

Thanks for the link. Looks like it was a fun but challenging trip. I need to check on some work dates but I'll likely jump in on the 2021.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It was a blast and I’d do it again given more vacay time. I’d suggest giving yourself plenty of time because there are plenty of roses to smell along the way and you never know where you will get gummed up or break down. I think we planned for 5 or 6 days and that felt too rushed; there were plenty of spots that we wanted to linger but felt the pull of the schedule. Make sure to have lots of alternate camp spots planned because there has been a lot more pressure on them over the last year. And make sure to have chainsaws and winches; this years WX probably means some downed trees and gumbo holes, etc.

I have heard some report easy going on this route and they typically have gone later in the summer/fall, I assume the closer to spring that you go the gummier it will be. There was really only that one spot that was really bad and some fun snow patches near the beginning (near OR border). Babyhead hill was a non-event and we got stalled leaving that one big ridge on about the third day.

I am a fastidious trip planner, let me know if you want my planning GPX. Probably over on the other thread linked above, but let me know if you don’t find anything.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Bad spot was on Bethel Ridge, have a waypoint named “mud”. Hahaha
46.72057, -121.06345

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
An omen of what was to follow. At least camp was dry.
1613793290309.jpeg

Mud holes on Bethel Ridge. 4 mile progress in one day. Greasy.
1613793381732.jpeg

1613793463847.jpeg

This one ate my JKU and we had to winch out, bulk of mud hole not in the pic. I believe this was exiting the mud hole shown on previous pic. That branch was completely submerged and was dragged out with me.
1613793592289.jpeg

A little bit of the day’s fun.
1613793755906.jpeg

David H

Local Expert Southern ID

Traveler III

Boise, ID, 83713 USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKQ684
Service Branch
U.S.A.F.
This trip sounds fun, but we'll be in Las Vegas for the E3 Conference the same weekend. Wishing all that do the Washington BDR all the best... :-)

BruteFinesse

Rank I

Contributor I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Gauthier
Member #

Man Keep me posted. This sounds like a really fun few days. I have a couple of rigs that would love this trail. But the Brute would be the one to go for sure. Guys, the pictures look amazing.