Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
This is not entirely accurate, and what you experiences was a result of the how radio manufacturers deviate in how they program their units.

GMRS Channel 15 is 462.550 MHz with no offset.
GMRS Channel 15 Repeater is 462.550 MHz +5.000 offset.

On the Baofeng radios the above channels are 07, and REPT15, respectively.

On the Midland radios (and Motorola?) the above channels are 15 and 15RP, respectively.

Each person just needs to know which channel to use for their radio to be able to talk on the correct frequencies.
Agree that GMRS channel numbers can be confusing, I was referencing channel numbers on WIkipedia.

To clarify, 462.55 is where we found ourselves competing with a group using a GMRS repeater.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Hi!
New here (and to Overlanding to be honest, have attended solo only few easy trails and forest roads).
About myself - 32 YO, moved year ago to PNW (Seattle east-side area), work as an engineer.

Rig - Stock 5 gen 4runner (tires are AT KO2s):
View attachment 196339
Regarding equipment requirements - the only missing points are:
1) Front recovery points (I've read though that factory tie-down hooks on 4runner are welded through the frame and are very strong especially if used together)
2) GMRS (I do have Baofeng radio though).

Overlanding experiences - zero.

I'm looking forward to start overlanding adventures but if you'll tell that it's better to start with something easier due to not enough experience - that's totally fine :).
Nice truck!

Before worrying about the front recovery points, do you have a solid rear recovery point? Sometimes it's more useful to have someone pull me back out of trouble... I have a Shackle Hitch Receiver for just that purpose. That, and it's a cheap way to make my truck look more "expo"...

Reactions: passivelyoffcourse

bit

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kirkland, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
L
Nice truck!

Before worrying about the front recovery points, do you have a solid rear recovery point? Sometimes it's more useful to have someone pull me back out of trouble... I have a Shackle Hitch Receiver for just that purpose. That, and it's a cheap way to make my truck look more "expo"...
Thanks! I do (one of the not-so-expensive 2" hitch recovery point).
So, sorry for extra noise, after review of my skills (and reading WABDR 2020 topic, lot of fun there!) I decided to start with 1-2 days trips this year and attend longer one next year.
So have fun there and I'll follow this topic with great interest :)

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks! I do (one of the not-so-expensive 2" hitch recovery point).
So, sorry for extra noise, after review of my skills (and reading WABDR 2020 topic, lot of fun there!) I decided to start with 1-2 days trips this year and attend longer one next year.
So have fun there and I'll follow this topic with great interest :)
I went through a couple
Of sections late last summer in a stock 2004 4Runner... after the snow melts and the mud dries up the trails aren’t that bad... and the worst places have alternate routes... I would think early July would work out great.

Reactions: Ebbs

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Hi!
New here (and to Overlanding to be honest, have attended solo only few easy trails and forest roads).
About myself - 32 YO, moved year ago to PNW (Seattle east-side area), work as an engineer.

Rig - Stock 5 gen 4runner (tires are AT KO2s):
View attachment 196339
Regarding equipment requirements - the only missing points are:
1) Front recovery points (I've read though that factory tie-down hooks on 4runner are welded through the frame and are very strong especially if used together)
2) GMRS (I do have Baofeng radio though).

Overlanding experiences - zero.

I'm looking forward to start overlanding adventures but if you'll tell that it's better to start with something easier due to not enough experience - that's totally fine :).
Factory tie downs are fine for small pulls, but I mean small, like a few guys pushing could have been successful...
Check these out, I just bought some to last me until I get around to adding a bumper and a winch ( they are not compatible with aftermarket bumpers... But I'll just sell them then lol)

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Is there a proposed Route map available?
Yes, the route is an official route. Your can, and should buy the Butler WABDR map. GPS routes are also available. I will locate and post them up here, but paper maps should be on hand as a back up.
However as long as we stick together a few copies is all we need.
If you are not skilled with paper maps, now would be a great time to learn.
The Butler map is well laid out and easy to read.
I have the route in my tablet, phone, and hedunit via Gaia. And have a paper copy arriving tomorrow.

RedRage

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Grays Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Rahe
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Hello All My name is Rahe (ray). This will be my first overloading trip ever. I'm pretty excited and nervous. I do have plenty of off grid living experience (3 years remote AK and a year in Eastern WA state near Plain). This shouldn't be too far off of that except for the vehicle part. This will be another bucket list item for me to check of and get some good experience. Eventually I'd like to do the Baja Peninsula someday.
I'll be driving my 1990 Toyota Landcruiser VX Limited (JDM version). She's sporting a straight six Turbo Diesel with 35's, a factory fridge, and factory winch. I'm very excited to break her in on the BDR.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing what other types of rigs are out there. We'll see you soon!

Rahe

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
Hello All My name is Rahe (ray). This will be my first overloading trip ever. I'm pretty excited and nervous. I do have plenty of off grid living experience (3 years remote AK and a year in Eastern WA state near Plain). This shouldn't be too far off of that except for the vehicle part. This will be another bucket list item for me to check of and get some good experience. Eventually I'd like to do the Baja Peninsula someday.
I'll be driving my 1990 Toyota Landcruiser VX Limited (JDM version). She's sporting a straight six Turbo Diesel with 35's, a factory fridge, and factory winch. I'm very excited to break her in on the BDR.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing what other types of rigs are out there. We'll see you soon!

Rahe
Sweet. I was hoping my brother was going to join with his 97 fzj80 but alas, his daughter is due the 7th (told him she'll be there when he got back )

Over the Crown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

My name is Sen, and I would love to attend this trip.
20210220_163309.jpg

Just put myself on the list. I am excited to go if allowed. I do not have 4WD on my vehicle, but it does have some good clearance and a reliable motor. Last time I measured, it had 14" of clearance from floor to frame, excluding the axle, however that was before upgrading my tire size a few inches. I can post more vehicle details if needed, but I don't think their is much else to say other than it's a Crown Victoria on a 5 inch lift and almost 31 inch tires. I am having a local shop put my 12k lb winch on this Wednesday, and I carry my own recovery straps and jack already. I have a hitch receiver on the rear for recovery, and will be adding some front mounted points when the winch is mounted. The winch will be attached to the frame by a professional. I don't have any fancy equipment, but all of my gear has been sufficient for your everyday camping trips out in the Oregon wilderness. I moved to Oregon in June, so I am excited to explore more of the PNW if possible! I have mostly gone to Eastern Oregon because I am not a fan of the rain, haha. I will be doing a few changes here and there, but my vehicle is mostly gonna be how it is pictured. I will only be changing the roof rack, awning, and a few other unnecessary items. I can get my GMRS license as soon as possible, but I do carry a CB radio and a Baofeng handheld. I do not use the Baofeng due to me not having a ham license just yet, as Covid has made the process quite difficult.

I have driven my car extensively, and all of the maintenance is up to date. The motor is barely broken in (not really, it's at almost 200k although these motors are known for lasting well beyond that). I have gone cross country back and forth a few times, and I have faith in that with good enough tire placement, my vehicle will be pretty fine. I have yet to call someone to ask to tow me out, although I am sure that is because I have not gone anywhere super difficult.

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

View attachment 197083

Just put myself on the list. I am excited to go if allowed. I do not have 4WD on my vehicle, but it does have some good clearance and a reliable motor. Last time I measured, it had 14" of clearance from floor to frame, excluding the axle, however that was before upgrading my tire size a few inches. I can post more vehicle details if needed, but I don't think their is much else to say other than it's a Crown Victoria on a 5 inch lift and almost 31 inch tires. I am having a local shop put my 12k lb winch on this Wednesday, and I carry my own recovery straps and jack already. I have a hitch receiver on the rear for recovery, and will be adding some front mounted points when the winch is mounted. The winch will be attached to the frame by a professional. I don't have any fancy equipment, but all of my gear has been sufficient for your everyday camping trips out in the Oregon wilderness. I moved to Oregon in June, so I am excited to explore more of the PNW if possible! I have mostly gone to Eastern Oregon because I am not a fan of the rain, haha. I will be doing a few changes here and there, but my vehicle is mostly gonna be how it is pictured. I will only be changing the roof rack, awning, and a few other unnecessary items. I can get my GMRS license as soon as possible, but I do carry a CB radio and a Baofeng handheld. I do not use the Baofeng due to me not having a ham license just yet, as Covid has made the process quite difficult.

I have driven my car extensively, and all of the maintenance is up to date. The motor is barely broken in (not really, it's at almost 200k although these motors are known for lasting well beyond that). I have gone cross country back and forth a few times, and I have faith in that with good enough tire placement, my vehicle will be pretty fine. I have yet to call someone to ask to tow me out, although I am sure that is because I have not gone anywhere super difficult.

This will be awesome, I look forward to seeing that Crown Vic on the trail. I am a huge Panther chassis fan. I currently have a 2009 Town Car, and my daughter has a 2011 Crown Vic. I have had at least 5 Panthers over the years with my favorite being a 1990 Country Squire wagon.
To keep things simple and easy for everyone we will use GMRS. It does not require testing, just a fee and a radio. CB is a great back-up, but range is just not the same. I will have both, plus a Baofeng and some hand held FRS radios for spotting.
I will be leading this adventure in a stock 2008 Suburban 2500. I do have decent ground clearance, but a lot of rear overhang. So we will not be going anywhere I can't get through. This in itself sets the bar fairly low. I will have my 13K winch installed just in case and have a full compliment of other recovery gear.
If we stick together, and use common sense I have no doubt that we will all be fine. If it looks like I will not make it through, we will find another way around. We want to have fun, not spend our time recovering vehicles.

Welcome aboard.

Over the Crown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

View attachment 197083

This will be awesome, I look forward to seeing that Crown Vic on the trail. I am a huge Panther chassis fan. I currently have a 2009 Town Car, and my daughter has a 2011 Crown Vic. I have had at least 5 Panthers over the years with my favorite being a 1990 Country Squire wagon.
To keep things simple and easy for everyone we will use GMRS. It does not require testing, just a fee and a radio. CB is a great back-up, but range is just not the same. I will have both, plus a Baofeng and some hand held FRS radios for spotting.
I will be leading this adventure in a stock 2008 Suburban 2500. I do have decent ground clearance, but a lot of rear overhang. So we will not be going anywhere I can't get through. This in itself sets the bar fairly low. I will have my 13K winch installed just in case and have a full compliment of other recovery gear.
If we stick together, and use common sense I have no doubt that we will all be fine. If it looks like I will not make it through, we will find another way around. We want to have fun, not spend our time recovering vehicles.

Welcome aboard.
Thanks! I am always looking forward to seeing what my car can or can't do. I looked into GMRS, as soon as the fee goes from $70 to $35 I'll be buying a Midland radio and all that. I guess I'll just have 3 antennas on my car haha. I've got a few ideas on how I plan to make it have a really clean install, so I hope you look forward to it! Glad to come along.

Do you know if anyone else will be bringing a dog? My dog is sweet but she's very nervous around other dogs and people touching her head (she's a rescue).

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Rahe
Sounds like you are well equipped for our little adventure. I love a classic Land Cruiser and look forward to seeing it on the trail. We should talk about Baja this trip as it is on my bucket list also. I have been there, drove down from Tacoma Wa. and spent a week. However I was in a 12 passenger van with 6 teenagers on a mission trip. I would like to go again, this time with my wife and dogs in the Suburban.
Welcome aboard.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Thanks! I am always looking forward to seeing what my car can or can't do. I looked into GMRS, as soon as the fee goes from $70 to $35 I'll be buying a Midland radio and all that. I guess I'll just have 3 antennas on my car haha. I've got a few ideas on how I plan to make it have a really clean install, so I hope you look forward to it! Glad to come along.

Do you know if anyone else will be bringing a dog? My dog is sweet but she's very nervous around other dogs and people touching her head (she's a rescue).
My dog will be on the trip, she is a Chocolate Lab and very sweet also. All dogs need to be on some kind of leash, so if there is an issue it will not be a problem to keep the dogs in separate areas. My dog is a pampered inside dog, so she does whine a little if she is not by us, but we can just put her in the truck if there is any issues.
BTW, we also have a rescue, but he stays home as he gets car sick. Our Lab loves the car.
All dogs are welcome, just remember we need to follow basic etiquette like leashes, pick up anything they leave behind, keeping them away from anyone with issues with dogs, etc.

Over the Crown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Erin
Last Name
Bois
Member #

My dog will be on the trip, she is a Chocolate Lab and very sweet also. All dogs need to be on some kind of leash, so if there is an issue it will not be a problem to keep the dogs in separate areas. My dog is a pampered inside dog, so she does whine a little if she is not by us, but we can just put her in the truck if there is any issues.
BTW, we also have a rescue, but he stays home as he gets car sick. Our Lab loves the car.
All dogs are welcome, just remember we need to follow basic etiquette like leashes, pick up anything they leave behind, keeping them away from anyone with issues with dogs, etc.
Sounds good.

Last edited:

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
My dog will be at home with the wife...
I also have a baofeng hand held HAM, and a Midland 15 watt GMRS.

Contributor I

Juneau, AK, USA
First Name
jeff
Last Name
coult
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC6TNI
I’m looking forward to this. I might have missed it but what Is the total number of signups so far? Is there a cap on the total number? Finding camp sites suitable for large groups can be a challenge, have you scouted some? Thanks......

Ebbs

Rank VI

Influencer II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Eberhardt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0JBH
Service Branch
Air Force 02-18
I’m looking forward to this. I might have missed it but what Is the total number of signups so far? Is there a cap on the total number? Finding camp sites suitable for large groups can be a challenge, have you scouted some? Thanks......
I count 13. I think I remember seeing a limit of 15. You can see if you follow the link to the rally point on the first post and click attendees

Taco4r

Rank III

Member III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Gonzales
Member #

Hi everyone! My name is Anthony. Hope it's not too late for my cousin and I to join this run. I will be in a 1st gen Tacoma and he in a 5th gen 4runner. We will be making the trip up from Southern California.

We mainly do shorter primitive offroad trips but are self-sufficient. I was looking to take on the PCOR in August but think it will be more enjoyable to join a group.

Pic of my rig attached but I will be working in some changes for this trip.

Attachments

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I know that the Rally Point said a limit of 15, however I will not put a hard cap on the number of people going. If we need to we can divide into 2 groups, but I don't think it will be an issue.

Also, GPS downloads of the official route can be downloaded here: Download Tracks - Backcountry Discovery Routes
It is the BDR web site, they own the rights to the maps, so you need to get them from them. It is FREE to download, just fill out the request and start downloading.