• HTML tutorial

Norcal Overlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento, CA, USA
Member #

Hey Guys

Headed to Utah April 12th, in the planning stages for the route. We are leaving Sacramento and going via salt lake city to Moab then heading south through the national parks and leaving Utah from St George back via Vegas. Total trip is 8 days
Looking for route ideas and camp sites along the route.

Any input will be appreciated

Thank you

HAWKI

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tahoe City, CA
Member #

I’m heading out April 2 from TAHOE. Should complete our expo by April 9. No set route just boon-docking Arches, Canyonlands, Zions and Bryce. Stage 2 will head to south rim for 3 days. IM me with contact info and I will sent current conditions on our route if that will help you. HAWKI

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Heading out Apr 12, coming back around Apr 19. Looking for suggestions as well. It’s Easter Jeep Safari week, so lots of people will be around for sure.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Hey Guys

Headed to Utah April 12th, in the planning stages for the route. We are leaving Sacramento and going via salt lake city to Moab then heading south through the national parks and leaving Utah from St George back via Vegas. Total trip is 8 days
Looking for route ideas and camp sites along the route.

Any input will be appreciated

Thank you
Maybe we can link up on the trip. I’m heading out from a more southern route but will be out there the same time and will head back to the Bay Area the same Vegas route.

Montazuma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hurricane,Utah
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I live in Hurricane Ut and have a ton of backcountry experience but can onlydo it over the phone. Dana 435-922-6337. Feel free to call any time.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I know lots of good spots all over the southern half of Utah and into northern Arizona.. are their specific sites you want to see? Are you looking for primarily pavement routes? Etc.. feel free to PM me and we can chat, there is a lot to see!

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Leaving Sunnyvale on the 11th headed to Lake Isabella to stay at my Dad’s. We leave in the morning on the 12th for St George, Utah. Staying at the La Quinta.

Leaving in morning on the 13th for Bryce Canyon Northern campground. Will catch sunrise of the 14th there at Sunrise Point.

Leaving in morning on the 14th for Cathedral Valley campground (Capitol Reef park). Leaving in morning on the 15th for Panorama Point campground (in the Maze area of Canyonlands Park). Will catch sunrise on the Temple of the Sun on the 15th there before leaving.

Leaving in the morning on the 16th to Devil’s Kitchen campground (running Elephant Hill 4WD trail to get there).

Leaving in the morning on the 17th back to La Quinta hotel in St George.

Leaving in the morning on the 18th to Lake Isabella. Leaving on the morning of the 19th to bay area. Will be tired and burned out. Videos will be posted after the trip.

Last edited:

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
So I threw this together as a quick overview of what my recommended route via Moab down through as many big sites to see along the way to exit via st george.. if you are on your way to expo west, this route works if you exit Utah via Page, AZ and head south to flagstaff.. or south via Kanab to Jacob Lake and down to Flagstaff via 89A. Figure out your time frame for things and let me know if you need recommended camping spots in certain areas.. There is really only one dispersed camping area in Moab/Arches, it is called Willow Springs and I have GPS track and Coords here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/moab-utah-recorded-routes.22876/

This is a mostly pavement route..with the exception of the Cottonwood canyon road, but there are lots of options for off pavement alternates, we do have a very high snow pack in the mountains currently and some high elevation off road routes may still be impassable. There are a lot of sights to see along the way, if you have a specific flavor (ie, slot canyons, viewpoints, short hikes, etc).. I can make some "stop here" recommendations if you want. -Feel free to ask!
Southern Utah route.JPG

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Check out here for any additional camping spots and POI you may want to check out.. safe travels and don't be afraid to reach out if you need anything along the trip.. I'm in Cedar City and the local Member rep.
Zion and Grand Canyon Camp Spots

Reactions: MtnBnd

CaseyW

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

Funtreks trail guide (book) and downloadable .gpx files (free) are very helpful.
Get the Annual National Parks pass.
If you can get a reservation camp in the Arches/Canyonlands maybe just a night or tow? Campgrounds are not that great, but the location is. Lots of camping outside the parks, provisioned or improvised.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
How did the trip go?

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Never saw you guys out there but watched your vids. We crossed some of the same ground that week. My favorites were the view from our campsite at Panorama Point (Maze district, Canyonlands) and running the Elephant Hill 4x4 trail to get to Devils Kitchen campsite #4 (Needles district, Canyonlands). Epic trail and epic camp spot!