Using a Toyota Hilux for a Europe to West Africa to South Africa to East Africa Roundtrip

• HTML tutorial

John_Belfort

Rank 0

Contributor II

Switzerland
First Name
Nils
Last Name
Maeder
Hey I want to go on this Trip with 3 very good friends and so I thought I would buy a used 2015 Toyota Hilux Double Cab with around 100'000 kilometers (62'100 miles) for all of us. I can get one in my Country for around 27'000 USD. For the vehicle modifications I want to spend no more than 6000 USD. I have a background in metal working so I can fabricate the roof rack, canopy and bumpers by myself. What do you think of my choice and can you recommend another vehicle in the same price range?
PS: I live in Switzerland and we don't have a lot of Landcruiser 76,79 Series so that would be too expensive.

Jakes2514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sutton Heath, Sutton, Woodbridge, IP12 3EQ, United Kingdom
First Name
Jakes
Last Name
van der Merwe
Member #

Howdy, I am Originally from South Africa though currently living in the UK. You cannot go wrong with a Hilux in Africa. Parts are abundant and most road side mechanics (it’s a thing) will be able to help you out fixing stuff.

We once needed a new Diff for one of our Trucks and a roadside mechanic ‘sourced’ one for us. It was still warm when we fitted it so….

Regards
Jakes

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
The Hilux will be fine, although I suggest rotating who gets to sit in the back, which will be less comfortable. For what it's worth I suggest considering a Montero (=Shogun=Pajero) or LC Prado/100/80 and a combination of ground tents or RTT & ground tent, to give a more comfortable ride for all of you. I suggest considering leaving the bumpers as they are - every extra Kg increases fuel consumption and affects ride and wear and tear.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

You might want to check out @charlineribotta on instagram. She has some experience with a Hilux in Africa and is currently heading back there after a tour through part of Europe.

John_Belfort

Rank 0

Contributor II

Switzerland
First Name
Nils
Last Name
Maeder
Thank you for your help. I will buy the Hilux because we are a lot of people and it's simply the biggest car. I will probably leave out the back bumper and the rockslides, but I'm still thinking about installing a bulbar to protect the front of the car.