Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just got off the phone with our contact at the Mendo NF and I think I understand whats going on a little better now. I am meeting with her Monday morning around 0630 hrs to go over the weeks work and set up two projects that we will tackle at a later date.

Please RSVP to the Mando using the information on the Rally Point.

Thank you for your interest in getting our trails open and keeping them open!

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Update from the Mendo NF

Hello Eager and Excited Volunteers!
We have figured out the logistics for our Volunteer Week, starting next Monday August 12th! Please keep in mind, we don’t normally host volunteers this many days in a row, we are unsure how many volunteers we will have each day and therefore we will working things out as we go! If you have not filled out a new (since January 2019) Volunteer Agreement, we will have you do so, first thing when you arrive next week!

If you are interested in having access to our geo referenced South end MNF Map and tracking trail maintenance, technical hazards and work progress, we are sharing this Avenza map with you.
Choose the right app for your type of phone https://www.avenzamaps.com/
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mendocino/maps-pubs/?cid=FSBDEV3_004435
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Download PDF ‘SOUTH’ – upload to the Avenza App. This map will be geo referenced and will show your location when you are in the forest!
image002.png1565207886001.png1565207885789.png1565207885938.png

You can also open the attached jpeg and scan it into Avenza. This is the current closure map.

In addition we have included the ADMINISTRATIVE USE FOREST VISITOR MAP - This map is for administrative use only by Forest Service employees volunteers and contractors.
1) Clicking the Add Map icon image004.pngand choose Download or Import a map, and then
2) Selecting the QR Code icon image011.pngin the upper right corner. This will enable your device’s camera to scan the QR codes from this document and download the map file.
Mendocino
image013.png

We are still working on an easier method to get you this map, if none of the above options work.

We will meet every morning at the Fouts Maintenance Yard at 9 AM (39܄° 21’ 18.79” 122° 39’ 27.80”). All volunteers must check in and out of this location. Camping is open in the entire Fouts area and you are welcome to camp. Please bring all your Personal Protective Equipment with you. This includes, long pants, boots, long sleeves, ear plugs, hardhat, gloves and goggles. We do have hardhats for you to borrow.

Projects:
*Brushing the newly rerouted Trail 40 and some light hand work with hand tools (walking .3 mile) ½ day
Loppers
Hedge trimmer

*Finish Brushing Trail 20 ( bike or quads)
Loppers
Hand Saws
Need an extra hedge trimmer if anybody has one

*Trail 21 Recon slide and water crossings (Jeeps)
Recommend a plan of action if it is not passible or in bad shape

*Cut out Trees and GPS Technical Hazards along Trails 15,16 17, 18 AND Trails 6,8,12, Trail 22 AND Ponderosa Way/Trail 53 hazards (bikes or quads)
If you are chainsaw certified and need to borrow anything related to chain sawing, please reach out to me via telephone.
If you are not chainsaw certified, we have handsaws for you to use. Any questions please reach out to me via telephone.

*Trail 36 – move Adopt-A-Trail sign and create natural barriers, replace burned log crossing drainages, hand work (UTV’s or jeeps, then walk)
Post hole digger
Rock/Tamping bar
Hand saws
Pulaski
McCloud
Shovel

*Removing Burned Barriers and Rebar from St. John Mountain (trucks, UTV’s, jeeps okay but need a way to haul off the materials)
Rebar Pullers
Rock Bar
Sledge Hammers
Trailer (Forest Service Staff –SL-on Monday 8/12 only)

*Trail Marker Installation 5 corners toward Goat Mountain and all of closure area (UTV or jeeps)
Pilot hole driver
Pounder
Puller
Fiberglass Trail Markers
Stickers
Rag and spray

*Post & Rail parking Fence in Mill Valley Campground (trucks or jeeps)
post hole diggers
rock bars
generator
extension cords
drill and bits
hardware 12” lag bolts
6’x6’ lumber (8, 10 &12 foot long)
Hammer
Reciprocating Saw
wrenches

A lot of you have responded already, thank you! If you have not, please respond via email, as to what days you will be showing up and what type of OHV you will be using.
Looking forward to working with all of you!

Kind Regards
~Paige

Forest Service Shield
Paige Makowski
Recreation Technician
Forest Service
Mendocino National Forest, Grindstone Ranger District
p: 530-963-1328
f: 530-963-3173 paige.makowski@usda.gov
5171 Stonyford - Elk Creek RD
Stonyford, CA 95979
www.fs.fed.us
USDA LogoForest Service TwitterUSDA Facebook
Caring for the land and serving people

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I'm going to try and make it, just have to coordinate with the wife and the calendar..

rodrigosd88

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Walnut Creek, CA, EUA
First Name
Rodrigo
Last Name
Domingues
Member #

Hey Kent R, I new in the US, what do I need to bring besides the protection gear? The Gerar to help on the tasks? Anything else I need to Know?

Thanks!

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Cannot make this one either. Taking daughter to start her Freshman year at college. I will be looking for the next weekend clean up.
Good Luck and have fun!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey Kent R, I new in the US, what do I need to bring besides the protection gear? The Gerar to help on the tasks? Anything else I need to Know?

Thanks!
The forest has said they will provide all the tools needed for the job. We just need to bring PPE, Food & water. And if your camping prepare for that.

Sorry I missed your message yesterday.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
MOST RECENT INFO FROM THE MENDO FOREST:

We will meet every morning at the Fouts Maintenance Yard at 9 AM (39܄° 21’ 18.79” 122° 39’ 27.80”). All volunteers must check in and out of this location.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The coordinates given by the FS above dont work so go to the Fouts area 39.35544 -122.65670 and look for the US Forest Service work station for checking in at 0900 hrs.

On Monday night I will update the exact location after the first day of work.

Clayton Ball

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Clayton
Last Name
Ball
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EMO
I am making plans to head up there Friday afternoon. This will be my first activity with Overland Bound. I managed to get the maps indicated in the email from Paige, but near as I can tell, the coordinates for the Fouts Maintenance Yard is way out in Maxwell. The Stony Ford Work Center makes more logical sense. I have an email out to Paige for confirmation on that matter. It looks like the Overland Bound group is camping at the Davis Flats Camp area. If the maps I downloaded work as advertised I shouldn't have any trouble finding it. At this point I plan to head to the Stonyford Work Center first, and if it is closed then head to the Davis Flats Camp area and see if I can link up with other Overland Bound members. I am hoping to get there before dark, but since I have never been in the area before, I really can't say.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I am making plans to head up there Friday afternoon. This will be my first activity with Overland Bound. I managed to get the maps indicated in the email from Paige, but near as I can tell, the coordinates for the Fouts Maintenance Yard is way out in Maxwell. The Stony Ford Work Center makes more logical sense. I have an email out to Paige for confirmation on that matter. It looks like the Overland Bound group is camping at the Davis Flats Camp area. If the maps I downloaded work as advertised I shouldn't have any trouble finding it. At this point I plan to head to the Stonyford Work Center first, and if it is closed then head to the Davis Flats Camp area and see if I can link up with other Overland Bound members. I am hoping to get there before dark, but since I have never been in the area before, I really can't say.
Clayton please read the post above yours, Paige wants everyone at the Fouts Works center but her coordinates did not work. I have included the coordinates for the center of Fouts and will update Monday or Tuesday after I get things started with Paige on Monday.

Clayton Ball

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Clayton
Last Name
Ball
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EMO
The coordinates given by the FS above dont work so go to the Fouts area 39.35544 -122.65670 and look for the US Forest Service work station for checking in at 0900 hrs.

On Monday night I will update the exact location after the first day of work.
Thank you Kent. I am glad someone else noticed those coordinates. I have to work Friday morning, so will be leaving Sonoma around noon-thirty. Do you know an approximate drive time? From Sonoma it looks like getting over to I-80 and then up I-505 to I-5 will be the fastest despite Friday afternoon traffic.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thank you Kent. I am glad someone else noticed those coordinates. I have to work Friday morning, so will be leaving Sonoma around noon-thirty. Do you know an approximate drive time? From Sonoma it looks like getting over to I-80 and then up I-505 to I-5 will be the fastest despite Friday afternoon traffic.
Calistoga Road to Calistoga then 29 to lower lake then 53 to 20 east bound then either go to Willber Springs and turn left at Bear Valley road then north to Stonyford or go to Maxwell then east to Stonyford. 3.25 hrs.
Michael will be there Friday and able to coordinate the camping.

Once I get back to civilization on Monday night I will re-post all the details.

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

Just thought I’d chime in and say that I was up that way today for the opener of deer season and they have some signage up for the event in Stonyford by the Forest Service place in town and I believe there was a map on it also along with some other written stuff.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just thought I’d chime in and say that I was up that way today for the opener of deer season and they have some signage up for the event in Stonyford by the Forest Service place in town and I believe there was a map on it also along with some other written stuff.
Thanks, Ill be able to get all the info to everyone once I meet with Paige at 0800 on Monday.

Hamdog

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sonoma, CA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mende
Member #

Calistoga Road to Calistoga then 29 to lower lake then 53 to 20 east bound then either go to Willber Springs and turn left at Bear Valley road then north to Stonyford or go to Maxwell then east to Stonyford. 3.25 hrs.

I second the Calistoga > Lower Lake > Bear Valley > Leesville Logoda route. Use caution around Wilbur, as there is guest traffic and a few blind corners, past Wilbur is cattle grazing land. Beyond that, open dirt roads and no traffic. Th e perfect antidote to the I-80 parking lot and 505 to I-5 monotony. Your rig will approve.

Clayton Ball

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Clayton
Last Name
Ball
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EMO

I second the Calistoga > Lower Lake > Bear Valley > Leesville Logoda route. Use caution around Wilbur, as there is guest traffic and a few blind corners, past Wilbur is cattle grazing land. Beyond that, open dirt roads and no traffic. Th e perfect antidote to the I-80 parking lot and 505 to I-5 monotony. Your rig will approve.
Thank you for the input. I looks like with that route the last fuel spot will be in Clearlake. I didn't see any sign of gas stations in Lodoga or Stonyford.