UPDATED: PREWITT RIDGE RD 2/17 -- CLOSED:Bixby/Coast Road 2/17

• HTML tutorial

TheWitchAndTheWoodsman

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Emeryville, CA
Member #

Have they opened the Old Coast Road up again? Last I heard, it was closed off after the mudslides. I hope it is! It's a short, gorgeous drive that I'd always take on my way from the Bay to some of my favorite campsites in Los Padres before the fires.

Reactions: infennonlabs

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Have they opened the Old Coast Road up again? Last I heard, it was closed off after the mudslides. I hope it is! It's a short, gorgeous drive that I'd always take on my way from the Bay to some of my favorite campsites in Los Padres before the fires.
I'm hoping it's open don't know for sure. I can't imagine the road being there bad over the year from when those videos were posted.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using OB Talk mobile app

TheWitchAndTheWoodsman

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Emeryville, CA
Member #

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Let's get together a roll call and finalize info here
Chevron and caravan down to the start of the road at Bixby Bridge. Google says a little over two hours from the city, so what do you think, aim to meet there 10:45ish? (Looking like this could be closer to 11 depending on traffic):
Attendees:
Me
JeepWave
Alfabluette
Outsane
TheWitchAndTheWoodsman
ScorpioVI
2003Discoll

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Probably closer to 11AM for me, if you guys aren't there I'll chase you guys down the coast.

I have a Baofeng UV-5R in the truck, but damn if I know how to use it for comms. Mostly just use it for a scanner to listen in on SJPD.

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
Chevron and caravan down to the start of the road at Bixby Bridge. Google says a little over two hours from the city, so what do you think, aim to meet there 10:45ish? (Looking like this could be closer to 11 depending on traffic):
Attendees:
Me
JeepWave
Alfabluette
Outsane
TheWitchAndTheWoodsman
ScorpioVI
2003Discoll
That's a good number of rigs, awesome! We can all air down when we get to a clearing at the start of Bixby.

Will anyone be CB-equipped? It'd be nice to have at least two rigs with comm (little/no cell signal on the trail). I'll have both Ham and CB.

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
Attendees:
Me
JeepWave
Alfabluette
Outsane
TheWitchAndTheWoodsman
ScorpioVI
2003Discoll
I talked with @willnicks and he might join as well.
Will anyone be CB-equipped? It'd be nice to have at least two rigs with comm (little/no cell signal on the trail). I'll have both Ham and CB.
I'll have GMRS/FRS and, if the FCC comes through with my new callsign in the next week or so, Ham (passed my Technician Class exam last weekend; planning on General Class in May).

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
I talked with @willnicks and he might join as well.

I'll have GMRS/FRS and, if the FCC comes through with my new callsign in the next week or so, Ham (passed my Technician Class exam last weekend; planning on General Class in May).
You'll need a rooftop antenna for your Ham signal to propagate beyond your truck's cab (this applies to ScorpioVI as well). Rooftops are mostly magnetic-mounts, and the coax can be snaked into your cab via an open window. Start with the Baofeng, and upgrade later.

Reactions: JeepWave

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
I have a Baofeng UV-5R in the truck, but damn if I know how to use it for comms. Mostly just use it for a scanner to listen in on SJPD.
Listening to Ham chatter can be a good way to pick up some of the social conventions of amateur radio communication. If you want to use that handset as more than a scanner, I just took the one-day Ham course and Technician Class license exam at the Benicia Amateur Radio Club and they were excellent. For $30 and one day of your weekend, you cram for the exam and they give it and grade it and you're done. There were a lot of other off-roaders there (including a guy with a cool G-Wagen, not any other OB members so far as I know). It's an easy way to get Ham licensed for trail comms.

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
You'll need a rooftop antenna for your Ham signal to propagate beyond your truck's cab (this applies to ScorpioVI as well). Rooftops are mostly magnetic-mounts, and the coax can be snaked into your cab via an open window. Start with the Baofeng, and upgrade later.
I already have an Icom T70A but no rooftop antenna yet. Thanks for the advice!

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Listening to Ham chatter can be a good way to pick up some of the social conventions of amateur radio communication. If you want to use that handset as more than a scanner, I just took the one-day Ham course and Technician Class license exam at the Benicia Amateur Radio Club and they were excellent. For $30 and one day of your weekend, you cram for the exam and they give it and grade it and you're done. There were a lot of other off-roaders there (including a guy with a cool G-Wagen, not any other OB members so far as I know). It's an easy way to get Ham licensed for trail comms.

Yea Im trying to reconcile all that effort vs how often I'm going to be running with people. My work schedule is off-kilter compared to most folks so I can't get out there when normal people are. Not sure I want to put in all that effort for something I'm going to use rarely. I used to be an RTO in the Army but my interest in comms pretty much died the day I separated, lol.

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I