UPDATED: PREWITT RIDGE RD 2/17 -- CLOSED:Bixby/Coast Road 2/17

• HTML tutorial

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

CHANGE OF PLANS. GOING TO CHEVRON IN BIG SUR AND THEN PREWITT RIDGE

Heading down from San Carlos to do Bixby/Coast Road in Monterey.

Looking to get to Chevron in Big Sur hopefully by 11:30am from San Carlos (probably 2.5 hours or so)

BACKUP PLAN:
MEETUP SPOT AFTER GAS IS KIRK CREEK CAMPGROUND
Shared route

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/FRyxsVi8XQy

Sent from my Nexus 9 using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Shared route
From n39 05.457 w120 57.039 to Knee Deep Brewing Company via Iowa Hill Rd.

1 hr 44 min (38 mi)
1 hr 44 min in current traffic

1. Head southeast on Iowa Hill Rd toward Fowler Ave
2. Turn right to stay on Iowa Hill Rd
3. Turn left to stay on Iowa Hill Rd
4. Sharp right to stay on Iowa Hill Rd
5. Arrive at location: 27300 Big Dipper Rd
6. Head southeast on Big Dipper Rd toward Adelia Hill Rd
7. Turn right onto Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
8. Arrive at location: 2680 Kings Hill Rd
9. Head west on Kings Hill Rd toward Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
10. Turn left onto Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
11. Turn right to stay on Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
12. Arrive at location: Shirt Tail Canyon Rd
13. Head southeast on Shirt Tail Canyon Rd toward Yankee Jims Rd
14. Turn right onto Yankee Jims Rd
15. Arrive at location: Yankee Jims Rd
16. Head southwest on Yankee Jims Rd toward Gillis Hill Rd
17. Arrive at location: 402-498 Yankee Jims Rd
18. Head west on Yankee Jims Rd toward Canyon Way
19. Slight right onto Canyon Way
20. Turn left toward S Auburn St
21. Turn left onto S Auburn St
22. Turn left onto the I-80 W ramp
23. Merge onto I-80 W
24. Take exit 123 for Bell Rd
25. Turn right onto Bell Rd
26. Turn right onto New Airport Rd
27. Turn left
28. Turn right
29. Arrive at location: Knee Deep Brewing Company (wet the whistle)

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/BViY3tzRgMM2

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
Yeah, I'm hoping that we get enough dry days before then, because I'm not keen on mud.

What's the plan for trail communication? I have FRS/GMRS (licensed) but nothing else at the moment. Working on my Ham license soon. I have my cell phone, of course, but coverage is always a question mark. I have one spare FRS radio to loan for the day if needed.

Reactions: infennonlabs

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yeah, I'm hoping that we get enough dry days before then, because I'm not keen on mud.

What's the plan for trail communication? I have FRS/GMRS (licensed) but nothing else at the moment. Working on my Ham license soon. I have my cell phone, of course, but coverage is always a question mark. I have one spare FRS radio to loan for the day if needed.
I don't actually have any communication set up (probably need to invest in some walkies)

Do you recommend any particular set?

I don't have a license although it sounds very useful, would love to pick your brain on it.

To be upfront my set up is lacking in the recovery department
I don't have a jack, extra lights, cables, winch, skid plates, compressor
Nor a spare tire at the moment due to poor carrying set up.

Just big tires and a lift at the moment. Hoping not to need more per this just being a road for the most part.

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
I don't actually have any communication set up (probably need to invest in some walkies)

Do you recommend any particular set?

I don't have a license although it sounds very useful, would love to pick your brain on it.
My FRS/GMRS HTs are the Midland GXT1000VP4. They receive NOAA weather channels, which is valuable. I find the power/range to be good for for an HT and they're water resistant. There are models out there that drop one or more of these features to save you $20, but these work pretty well. Legally, you can only use the FRS channels unless you register on the FCC website and pay the $70 for a GMRS license. There's no exam, the license is good for ten years, and it generally only takes two or three days to get the email confirmation with your license. The GMRS channels get much better range than FRS, so I think it's worth it. I invited a friend of mine to join us with his rig, and if it's only a handful of vehicles within a mile or so of each other, FRS mode should be fine.

There are a number of good threads on communications here. I think a good general rule is Ham is the best, but requires passing a (not too difficult) licensing exam, FRS/GMRS is a good alternative for short-range trail comms, CB is poorer quality than GMRS but still more commonplace in many US regions. I'm registered for a Ham prep course and exam on February 3 in Benicia -- if you're interested I can give you details. Once I get the Ham license, I plan on getting a dual-band Ham HT like this one.

To be upfront my set up is lacking in the recovery department
I don't have a jack, extra lights, cables, winch, skid plates, compressor
Nor a spare tire at the moment due to poor carrying set up.

Just big tires and a lift at the moment. Hoping not to need more per this just being a road for the most part.
Agreed. I have a spare and some tools, but no lift and only factory skids (i.e. not enough protection) and no winch, hence my apprehension about mud. I looked over this road in the Wells guide and it's rated "easy" and within reasonable distance of Hwy 1, so I'm not concerned.

Full skids are next up for my rig before I tackle anything more serious than this. I have my eye on a visit to Cloakworks in Sacramento to get their Undercloak boatside skids for the Jeep, but that's a few paychecks away.

infennonlabs

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

My FRS/GMRS HTs are the Midland GXT1000VP4. They receive NOAA weather channels, which is valuable. I find the power/range to be good for for an HT and they're water resistant. There are models out there that drop one or more of these features to save you $20, but these work pretty well. Legally, you can only use the FRS channels unless you register on the FCC website and pay the $70 for a GMRS license. There's no exam, the license is good for ten years, and it generally only takes two or three days to get the email confirmation with your license. The GMRS channels get much better range than FRS, so I think it's worth it. I invited a friend of mine to join us with his rig, and if it's only a handful of vehicles within a mile or so of each other, FRS mode should be fine.

There are a number of good threads on communications here. I think a good general rule is Ham is the best, but requires passing a (not too difficult) licensing exam, FRS/GMRS is a good alternative for short-range trail comms, CB is poorer quality than GMRS but still more commonplace in many US regions. I'm registered for a Ham prep course and exam on February 3 in Benicia -- if you're interested I can give you details. Once I get the Ham license, I plan on getting a dual-band Ham HT like this one.

Agreed. I have a spare and some tools, but no lift and only factory skids (i.e. not enough protection) and no winch, hence my apprehension about mud. I looked over this road in the Wells guide and it's rated "easy" and within reasonable distance of Hwy 1, so I'm not concerned.

Full skids are next up for my rig before I tackle anything more serious than this. I have my eye on a visit to Cloakworks in Sacramento to get their Undercloak boatside skids for the Jeep, but that's a few paychecks away.
Awesome. Yeah this radio stuff is interesting to me. Going to pick up a pair of Midlands and will look into the license. Didn't realize you didn't need a test.

Side note - updating the first post with updated directions per my note about meet up spots.

Reactions: JeepWave

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
Some spots to meet up on the way down:
(Reminder I have to get my Jeep on the way down)

Gas:
Chevron
3645 Rio Rd, Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA 93923
(831) 624-7764

https://goo.gl/maps/XhS1MxRS31k
Cool. Let's meet at the Chevron and caravan down to the start of the road at Bixby Bridge. Google says a little over two hours from the city, so what do you think, aim to meet there 10:30-10:45ish?

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
I've driven this road quite a few times, and you don't need a lift for it - I've seen a 2WD Ford Mustang go through it with not too much trouble. There may be some water puddles around in the low-lying areas after rains, but it's typically a dry trail with excellent views!

What day are you guys doing this?

Reactions: JeepWave

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
I'm registered for a Ham prep course and exam on February 3 in Benicia -- if you're interested I can give you details. Once I get the Ham license, I plan on getting a dual-band Ham HT like this one.
Congrats on your attempt on a Ham license soon! I studied for about a week, and passed the Technician test without too much trouble. I have both a mobile unit in my truck as well as a Baofeng HandiTalk (HT) for when I'm outside of the vehicle. Hams definitely beat anything else out there for distance and clarity, so it's well worth the effort to obtain a license (good for a long 10 years till renewal); besides, some run groups are now requiring (or really pushing) for participants to be equipped with ham radios. All that's required is a license and a dual-band cheap $25 hand-held radio; for better reception inside your vehicle, a roof-top antenna is highly recommended.