Update your old (or new) Garmin GPS devices for free!

• HTML tutorial

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
The Garmin Map Install program wants to send it direct to the device and the file name on the device is the same no matter what the map source. In theory you could probably do what you suggested but you still need a way to change the names back and forth on the device itself, i.e. a computer. I have the maps downloaded to my computer already so I don't think you'd really be saving any time here.

I went ahead and purchased a refurbished Garmin Drive 60LM (6 inch screen) with a 2 year warranty for $88 from GPSCity.com. It's a current model, although probably not for much longer, but it's 12 years newer then my Zumo, more internal storage, bigger screen, micro sd slot, etc. I will report back on how it works with the topo maps, I'm assuming it will be able to have multiple topo maps loaded like the Nuvi.
Just an update, I used my new refurbished Garmin Drive 60LM on a recent trip to the desert with the routeable topo maps and it worked perfectly. I loaded up some campsite waypoint options and I was able to auto-route to our off grid camp site on the fly. I'm very pleased with it's performance, and it's much easier to use from the driver's seat than my tablet. I have maps for the entire US, regular and topo, so I don't have to spend hours pre-downloading maps before every trip like with Gaia.

Really pleased with this setup, thanks again for the heads up!

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Thx for the tip on GPSCity I just ordered the same unit, I need a Garmin unit to load some Baja maps and all my older loaner Nuvi's weren't cutting.
The 6in display should be nicer than the 62 series I was thinking of using.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Thx for the tip on GPSCity I just ordered the same unit, I need a Garmin unit to load some Baja maps and all my older loaner Nuvi's weren't cutting.
The 6in display should be nicer than the 62 series I was thinking of using.
No problem! They have great deals and fast shipping.

You will also want this cable (choose your length of course) if you want to power the Garmin off a USB power port.

Any USB cable that handles data will make the Garmin think it's plugged into a computer. I found this out the hard way..lol.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
No problem! They have great deals and fast shipping.

You will also want this cable (choose your length of course) if you want to power the Garmin off a USB power port.

Any USB cable that handles data will make the Garmin think it's plugged into a computer. I found this out the hard way..lol.
Apparently web links aren't working....hmm

Try an Amazon search for: APPHOME Mini USB Cable 3.3FT 2Pack USB 2.0 Type A to Mini B Data Charging Cord Compatible with Garmin Nuvi GPS, GoPro Hero 3+, Hero HD, PS3 Controller

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
that is brilliant! Thank you very very much. Is it possible to download any GPX files into the nuvi as well so it can show you those routes?

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
that is brilliant! Thank you very very much. Is it possible to download any GPX files into the nuvi as well so it can show you those routes?
Absolutely! You can use the Garmin Basecamp software to do all your importing and exporting to the Nuvi, waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. Lots of videos on YouTube. I'm not in front of my computer at the moment or I could give you more details.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have a Nuvi 66LM. Tried to import gpx tracks with Basecamp but it won't show them even when converter to routes in Basecamp...
So, yeah, I can add gpx tracks to Basecamp and copy to device but the device won't acknowledge their existence and won't show them.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I have a Nuvi 66LM. Tried to import gpx tracks with Basecamp but it won't show them even when converter to routes in Basecamp...
So, yeah, I can add gpx tracks to Basecamp and copy to device but the device won't acknowledge their existence and won't show them.
Interesting, I'll have to see what I did last time I put routes on my device. I believe after they are sent to the device you have still have to load them but I have neither Basecamp or my device in front of me at the moment.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Interesting, I'll have to see what I did last time I put routes on my device. I believe after they are sent to the device you have still have to load them but I have neither Basecamp or my device in front of me at the moment.
Interesting that the 66 saves your poi in a gpx file in a \GPX folder. But I can't get it to read my gpx tracks..

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Interesting that the 66 saves your poi in a gpx file in a \GPX folder. But I can't get it to read my gpx tracks..
There's got to be something up with the track. Can you create a route from scratch in Basecamp and send it to the Nuvi and see it?

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
Absolutely! You can use the Garmin Basecamp software to do all your importing and exporting to the Nuvi, waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. Lots of videos on YouTube. I'm not in front of my computer at the moment or I could give you more details.
This is the best solution to an old gps ive seen so far

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I am not a newbe to GPS and using things from netbooks to handhelds, but for some reason I just can not get to work on the Drive 60 I got or my older Nuvi....
I can look at the maps in Basecamp but when I use Mapinstall it says " no unlocked maps"
Back to the interweb, or maybe I will try installing direct to an SD card.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I am not a newbe to GPS and using things from netbooks to handhelds, but for some reason I just can not get to work on the Drive 60 I got or my older Nuvi....
I can look at the maps in Basecamp but when I use Mapinstall it says " no unlocked maps"
Back to the interweb, or maybe I will try installing direct to an SD card.
I installed the maps to the SD card. I'm not sure why that would make a difference but maybe it does?

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Holy smokes, big kudos on this! Running around gathering my Nuvi's now to see what I can manage.

EDIT: Worked great on my 42LM, thanks for posting this up!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobie01

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I installed the maps to the SD card. I'm not sure why that would make a difference but maybe it does?
Sorry to be a pest...
did you install using Basecamp/MapInstaller to the microSD in a card reader or with the microSD in the device?
You have the Drive 60 from GPScity correct?

Funny I got this to work on an old Nuvi but have not gotten it to work on the newer Drive 60.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Sorry to be a pest...
did you install using Basecamp/MapInstaller to the microSD in a card reader or with the microSD in the device?
You have the Drive 60 from GPScity correct?

Funny I got this to work on an old Nuvi but have not gotten it to work on the newer Drive 60.
It's no bother at all. I did get the Drive60 from GPS City.

I got slammed with work this weekend, let me try to back track through my steps and figure out if I went direct to the sd card in the Drive60 (i think so) or if I used a reader.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
@oneleglance I used Garmin MapInstaller after following the unpacking instructions on the topo map website site. In Garmin MapInstall, the Drive 60 comes up as "Drive 60 + SD card" is that what you are seeing?

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #