Uberlands slow-but-hopefully-steady Excursion build.

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Uberland

Rank I

Contributor I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
B
Member #

Where is that new intake pulling air from? It looks like it's pulling air from the grille area. That could be really bad if you go through and moderately deep puddles. Eeek!
Thanks for the question, which is a fair one. The S&B intake mimics the stock one, which draws from both behind the grill and the left fender. I didn’t realize this before I bought it. Fortunately, I don’t have to do too many water crossings, but I’ve been thinking about seeing how the truck reacts if I only draw from the fender. There’s always the one supplier for a snorkel intake which should increase airflow via the fender as well, but I’m not a huge fan of how it looks...

Reactions: JCWages

Lanlubber

Rank V

Traveler III

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So, turns out that Ford’s Hydroboost system works great...until it doesn’t. What makes you say that, you ask? Well, let me tell you...

Had a great day last Friday at Tasker’s Gap in the Shenandoah, which I basically treated as a mild shakedown cruise for the (as-yet unnamed) Ex. Decent climbs, a couple of decent puddles, etc...nothing major, but a good means of testing the truck’s 4x4 system (high and low) and engine/ transmission braking, which was awesome.

Truck behaved beautifully. No problems with the 200-plus round trip or the hill climb/descent. Took the missis out for dinner that night...aside from being dirty, truck was great. Next morning she and I took my 18-month old for his second haircut about two miles from home. That went well (praise be!), but when we went to leave I noticed that I had no power steering or brakes...and when I grunted the truck back into the parking spot, I saw that the truck was puking super-dirty power steering fluid. No bueno.

Long story short: tow truck to a local garage, which eventually found the leak in the high-pressure steering hose. New hose, system flush and labor set me back around $700, which will put a dent in the ol’ Overlanding budget.

Got the truck back today...steering seems fine, but it’s scary to think about what I would’ve done had that happened on the trail. I’ve driven vehicles without power steering or brakes, but I had a hard time applying enough pedal pressure to stop the Ex from IDLE, never mind down a grade! Or on the highway! Definitely some intervention from above. I really wanted to tear out and replace the whole 20-year old system, but the shop assured me everything else looked fine.

Here’s to hoping!

Also, new license plates came in today...
$700 for a high pressure hose replacement was a rip off as far as I am concerned. If nothing else was replaced this is an awful price to pay. NAPA and an auto parts parking lot was all anyone would get out of me. I'm feeling your hurt !

JCWages

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Thanks for the question, which is a fair one. The S&B intake mimics the stock one, which draws from both behind the grill and the left fender. I didn’t realize this before I bought it. Fortunately, I don’t have to do too many water crossings, but I’ve been thinking about seeing how the truck reacts if I only draw from the fender. There’s always the one supplier for a snorkel intake which should increase airflow via the fender as well, but I’m not a huge fan of how it looks...
That makes sense. And please don't take my question as a critique. I was just curious and with something so critical I'd rather risk being rude by asking than ignore it and then read about you hydrolocking an engine because it wasn't something you considered in the build. :smiley: I'm diggin the build. I've always liked the diesel Excursions.

Reactions: Uberland

Uberland

Rank I

Contributor I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
B
Member #

$700 for a high pressure hose replacement was a rip off as far as I am concerned. If nothing else was replaced this is an awful price to pay. NAPA and an auto parts parking lot was all anyone would get out of me. I'm feeling your hurt !
Well, it also involves a flush/bleeding of the power steering system and, given that the Motorcraft replacement hose was $250 alone, I’m not sure I was completely taken to the cleaners! Definitely couldn’t have done that in a parking lot!

Reactions: Lanlubber

Lanlubber

Rank V

Traveler III

Mimbres, NM, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Well, it also involves a flush/bleeding of the power steering system and, given that the Motorcraft replacement hose was $250 alone, I’m not sure I was completely taken to the cleaners! Definitely couldn’t have done that in a parking lot!
WOW, After I got to see the rest of your post and see what else you've done to your rig, the Power steering hose was only a drop in the bucket and probably un-noticed or lost in the build. Your have a nice rig there....