Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I have the reliance folding toilet and it works really well, I recommend it. Also those pop-up shower/privacy tents are nice for when you are with a group.

Does anyone else have a ham radio on this trip?
Yep, I'll have a ham radio!

Thanks for the info on the water and toilets. We have a Cleanwaste folding toilet they we usually put over a hole, but i'll bring some bio bags too incase we need to pack out

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I'm already thinking i'll have to grab at least one more water container to haul up giving us ~22gal. We are a family of 5 but definitely don't use 2gal/day/person or anything anywhere near it. Since we'll be up there for five days, we'll probably do a bit of sponge bathing which will use more water. Better safe than sorry. 22gal will give us 1gal/person/day (no need to count the newborn baby) which should be plenty of water. At the beginning of this year we started using sprayer bottles for dishes and "showers" and I think that helps us use way less water than we used to. If we end up bringing our dog I may have to rethink this

Reactions: Brooke

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I have plans for ham but am picking up CB for this trip so I can hail grizzly :) I should be able to receive HAM transmissions, but I cannot transmit.

David Jones

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Clearwater, florida
Member #

I would like to join in on the fun. This would be my first adventure. I just joined and am looking forward to 'gettin outta Dodge'. Not sure what to bring but experience may teach me.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I would like to join in on the fun. This would be my first adventure. I just joined and am looking forward to 'gettin outta Dodge'. Not sure what to bring but experience may teach me.
Feel free to contact me directly would be more than happy to give you some advice and tips on things to bring or what you might need

David Jones

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Clearwater, florida
Member #

I have the reliance folding toilet and it works really well, I recommend it. Also those pop-up shower/privacy tents are nice for when you are with a group.

Does anyone else have a ham radio on this trip?
I only have CB , brien does !
I will be getting a CB installed this thursday. I hope to use it to get to this site cause I get lost very easy. Anyone out there who is going to the Zion trip, please send chanel and call name, I will hope to hear from you folks soon. My call sign will be Gypsy D.

Reactions: KTM GRIZZLY

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I will be getting a CB installed this thursday. I hope to use it to get to this site cause I get lost very easy. Anyone out there who is going to the Zion trip, please send chanel and call name, I will hope to hear from you folks soon. My call sign will be Gypsy D.
FYI, the range of CB is not all that great, a few miles in the average conditions. So don't count on the CB to be able to make contact with any of us unless you have basically already found and joined the group. As for call signs, in my experience, the only people who use "handles" on CB are truckers and people in 70's movies, you'll probably be fine just using your real name, or just no call sign, since we will all likely begin to recognize each other's voices after a few uses.

For channel, i'll let @ZJ GRIZZLY make an announcement on that. For the hams, I'll probably just leave my radio on 146.535 for simplex comms.

Out of curiosity, will there be any other children joining us, or just my three? (9yo, 5yo, .15yo)

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

@brien I have long term plans for a HAM going into mine, but for now I too am bringing a CB just so we can have some vehicle to vehicle communication. I picked up a pretty cheap handheld one so I'm not expecting any kind of great range. But who knows, if I roll up to the rally point at like 9am...I'd feel safer announcing myself before parking and approaching a camp. =p Can my call sign be Star Princess?

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
10-4 Star Princess! :tearsofjoy:

Yeah, even the handheld CBs should have plenty of range to communicate once we are in a group. I have the Midland 75-822 handheld that i use as my only CB. it has an external antenna adapter so i have it inside the Jeep always connected to a 3' Firestik antenna to give me some acceptable range. I think even with the handheld antenna's you'll still get 1/4 - 1/2 mile range under average conditions, which should be plenty.

Brian Wells

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Los Angeles
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wells
I'm plan on meeting up with you guys for this. We will be heading down there from LA on Friday around 4PM and won't Arrive until Midnight on Saturday. We wanted to do the Angels Landing Hike so maybe we can stick with you guys and do some overlanding/camping/meeting all day on Saturday and then part ways and do the Angels Landing Hike On Sunday. Will you guys be offroading on Saturday? What have you got planned?

Looking Forward!

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I'm plan on meeting up with you guys for this. We will be heading down there from LA on Friday around 4PM and won't Arrive until Midnight on Saturday. We wanted to do the Angels Landing Hike so maybe we can stick with you guys and do some overlanding/camping/meeting all day on Saturday and then part ways and do the Angels Landing Hike On Sunday. Will you guys be offroading on Saturday? What have you got planned?

Looking Forward!
We will be doing trail runs once in zion

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

Looking Forward!
I'd be interested in doing that hike as well. I've heard it's best to get up and out REALLY early to avoid lots of crowds and slowdowns on the return hike

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Think we'll need to bring extra fuel? I have a ~13gal reserve tank, but I try not to put anything in it unless i know i'm gonna need to dip into it since it adds additional sloshing-around weight

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Think we'll need to bring extra fuel? I have a ~13gal reserve tank, but I try not to put anything in it unless i know i'm gonna need to dip into it since it adds additional sloshing-around weight
I'm bringing 11 1/2 gallons but but I'm not filling up till Utah if we need to also

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I didn't grab a gas can... I figured... I've got like a 250 mile range on a full tank running offroad. If I run out, I've done something terribly wrong. I also had the thought, if I strap a gas can to my roof, will I end up using more gas to carry it up there?

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I didn't grab a gas can... I figured... I've got like a 250 mile range on a full tank running offroad. If I run out, I've done something terribly wrong. I also had the thought, if I strap a gas can to my roof, will I end up using more gas to carry it up there?
I won't be filling my gas cans unless really necessary and I wouldn't fill them up until we arrived in Utah if I needed to to save gas

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Getting close doing final weekend preparations on the rig maintenance , taken care of any Loose Ends ! Truly hope everybody coming has a safe trip and looking forward to meeting all of you! Again safe travels, can't wait to see you there!