Launch Member

Contributor III

Wisconsin
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Voss
Member #

Might want to check with Chad, but I think there's some updates to the route because of roads/ bridges being washed out. I haven't asked him for the updated route yet myself.... Sorry if this was covered already.

Reactions: Lead K9

Jscher5

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yeah that's true. Sorry I should have mentioned that. On the ride I did with Chad a few weeks ago we came to a bridge that was gone that we had to find another way around. That kind of added to the fun!

Reactions: VAZ

VAZ

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wisconsin
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Voss
Member #

He did just post a new route to Dropbox that was linked to his facebook.

Reactions: Lead K9

Andrew Kelly

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anyone interested in TWAT this weekend? June 23-24-25? Got two vehicles already. Subaru Outback and Range Rover Discovery II. Leaving from Chicago Friday.

VAZ

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wisconsin
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Voss
Member #

If I run it again I won't do any less than 4 days. 3 days including return home is a lot of driving and you'll have to skip over some stuff.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Anyone interested in TWAT this weekend? June 23-24-25? Got two vehicles already. Subaru Outback and Range Rover Discovery II. Leaving from Chicago Friday.
I wish I could join, but we are booked for a bit. I would love to see a lot of pics and a write-up of your adventure though!

HighC_FJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I possibly might be if nothing else comes up. I'll let you know by Thursday. If so I'd probably link up with ya around the Black River Falls area tho.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Hey Y'all!

New to the OB! I haven't been on the TWAT (I vote for amazing acronym), but used to have a cabin in the Chequamegon National Forest growing up. In high school I'd take my dad's Chevy 2500 on some of the logging roads up there! Beautiful country. Talk about an adventure! I'd love to go up there again. What an amazing trip. It would be beautiful soon with the leaves changing.

It's been years since I have been up there but from what I remember, depending on the weather (rain), you may want to make sure you have a sat phone or your rigs have a winch. The logging roads can get pretty muddy and rutted up from what I remember.

Reactions: trailspinTV

JzzR83

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Savage, MN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0VFV
Here is the GPX file for the Trans Wisco Trail. I am going to running this exact route May 19-21.
Thanks for the file! I'll have to see I can properly load this to my tablet running Avenza tonight when I get home from work.

Batmango66

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana 930, New Haven, IN, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Here is the GPX file for the Trans Wisco Trail. I am going to running this exact route May 19-21.
@Vader_Runner, I just ran this route solo this past weekend, 5/26-28. The Route is very good and I had no issues, other than the occasional tree down, etc. Did get to see black bear, fox, porcupine, bald eagle, and too many deer. Although, more deer on the trip home than on the trail. Thank you for providing!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jscher5

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Ran the TWAT last weekend. Left Friday night and camped at Apple River Canyon state park about 20-30 miles east of Galena. The trail was a hell of a good time for us (wife and 8 year old son). Got home around 10pm Monday. Lots of big views, as my son said, in the south end. Some great site seeing things along the way (Dickeyville Grotto is rarely mentioned, but definitely worth the stop if you look up the history, and it's literally on the trail). The northern end had some great offroad stuff that our stock Outback handled with some careful line planning and a little bit of "just send it" attitude.

We will likely do chunks of it again so we can spend more time in certain areas. It was 1346 miles total from and back to our house. Black lake USFS park was a good camp spot as well just south of Clam Lake. Big Falls is on the GPX tracks and is another must see stop. The always mentioned Delta Diner is worth the wait, and while a little spendy for a diner, the food was killer, and the staff were great too.

Thanks to those who have contributed to creating and informing others of this trail. Maybe someday I'll get a bike and do that end of it too... For now, I can't wait to find another trip. If anyone has questions about the trail hit me up, I'm certainly no expert, but I'm happy to help.

Jscher5

Rank 0

Traveler I

I’m not familiar with that but I do know that there are single and double track trails that are off road vehicles only. Meaning even dual sport motorcycles that are plated are technically not supposed to be on the trails. I have heard stories that DNR will ticket and tow if they find u riding on the trails in a road vehicle. There is also a sticker you need to buy. My info is dated and although I have done the trail half a dozen times I was always with TWAT experts when I went so I just had to follow. I know you can stop at most bars and restaurants and get ATV maps and the locals in the place usually know what the rules are and they are friendly.

Reactions: Feathered Serpent

Arod1243

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bumping this post! Anyone have updated GPS route for the TWAT? Looks like the last post regarding updated map was about a year ago. With the weather we have had, I would assume there are more bridges/roads out. Thanks!

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Nothing like reviving an old thread. Looking at possibly doing this over memorial day weekend. Do I need to worry about any trail permits? I'll be coming from Michigan, stopping to meet up with a buddy in Chicago and leaving from there.

VAZ

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wisconsin
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Voss
Member #

No updated maps that I'm aware of. There's no permits needed.

icestorm

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Richmond, MI, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Miller
Member #

No updated maps that I'm aware of. There's no permits needed.
Thanks for the update. Makes me feel a bit better since I couldn't seem to find anything on the Wisconsin website about permits needed. Any recommended sites to stop and see along the way? I hear there is a diner that is supposed to be worth it to stop and eat at. Looking to possibly get some short, not too far of the path hikes in as well. Leaving Friday morning from Chicago and don't need to be back to Chicago until Tuesday evening.

VAZ

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wisconsin
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Voss
Member #

Thanks for the update. Makes me feel a bit better since I couldn't seem to find anything on the Wisconsin website about permits needed. Any recommended sites to stop and see along the way? I hear there is a diner that is supposed to be worth it to stop and eat at. Looking to possibly get some short, not too far of the path hikes in as well. Leaving Friday morning from Chicago and don't need to be back to Chicago until Tuesday evening.
Camping will depend on your pacing for the trip. When I've done it we've always played it loose without any real itinerary. If it works out for you there's a campground north of highway 54 called East Fork Campground. It's right along a river. And yes Delta diner is a must!

Here's a video I made from last weekend. A buddy and I ran a little bit of the trail and stayed at a couple state parks along the way.

Reactions: Dairyland Overland