Trails similar to Corral Hollow?

• HTML tutorial

Dustin

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hayward, CA
Member #

So after getting a taste of the off road life on our first trail run, my wife and I are looking for more trails similar in difficulty and location to Corral Hollow. We live in the bay area so anything about 3'ish hours away or less and not more difficult than Corral Hollow. We're itching to get back out and explore some more places. Recommendations?

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
Reactions: Dustin

Dustin

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hayward, CA
Member #

Have you looked in this book? I have not done Corral Hollow (want to; not sure if I'm ready to), but they list that trail and many more. All carry a rating so it may be possible to find similar ones using the book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1934838071/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468962376&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=caligornia+backroads

Cheers

-- Bennett
I keep meaning to pick up a copy of that book. I've mostly been looking on 4x4trailmaps.com for ideas for now.

GHOSTFJ

Rank II

Advocate II

Eagle lake as daPitbull mentioned is a good trail. Barney Riley is similar as well. Very remote but nice. Rough 10 miles to the river. The lake basin recreational area is great as well. br.jpg

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

a little more than 3 hours, but anything up near Shaver Lake (Bald Mountain for example) is really fun.

Reactions: GHOSTFJ

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I'm looking very closely at eagle lakes and Barney Riley. :)
My girlfriend and I were just talking about running Barney Riley soon.

Another great resource is this book: Sierra Nevada Byways by Tony Huegel

I picked it up recently and, while there is some overlap with the Charles Wells' book referenced above, this one includes a lot of additional easy and moderate routes. Based upon my estimate, this book includes ~30 trails that aren't in the Wells book. Because you never say, "Man, I really wish I had less trails to choose from!" :smile:

Reactions: Crispy and Dustin

GHOSTFJ

Rank II

Advocate II

Me and 3 others are actually running BR this weekend. If there is interest in joining, lmk. We should have room for 1 or 2 more. Usually keep group size to 5-6 rigs. Wife will be driving this trail as I will be on photography duty.

Dustin

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hayward, CA
Member #

Would love to but, we have family visiting from Australia this weekend. I'm hoping to get back out early August. Thank you for the offer!

Reactions: Crispy

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

We're always up for going on a trip somewhere. We probably go out every other weekend and find new areas to explore. We've been exploring Alpine County, CA a lot. Found some awesome trails and cool places to camp at.

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I'm up for hooking up with people to go for a run, i live in Sacramento. I don't have a winch yet, but own a shovel and rope. Lol. This is the start of my truck. Adding extra fuel storage, making some truck rack upgrades and getting rid of my surco rack.

Reactions: Steve