Trailer or No Trailer?

• HTML tutorial

UltraRunPetey

Rank 0

Contributor I

I am looking for some feedback on if I should get a bigger roof rack, like the Gobi, or get an offroad trailer. I run a lot of Ultra marathons and typically camp the night before the event. My challenge is I have two German Shorthaired Pointers who take up the back compartment of my 2012 4Runner. I need to be able to carry all my camping supplies and my race gear, which can be quite a bit when I run 100 milers. I want to get an awning to provide shade for my race crew. I've looked at the Moby1 XTR trailer, the Xventure XV-2 trailer and even the Cricket Trailer. All of the trailers are fairly pricey so I am looking at alternatives.

I do a fair about of off roading to find the backcountry camp spot to get away from people.

What do you all think?

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

I've built a small expedition trailer but my preference is to wheel without one. The trailer is really only used when I have my wife and son with as suddenly the "must have withs" increase dramatically. So for me, if you going alone I'd probably go with a good side roof-rack and a spare wheel bag. You can also get an extra rack mounted above the spare wheel for extra space.

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

A trailer is always good to have. But there are some trips that may not need to bring it. I don't have one. But There is always that trip that you say....... be nice to have a little trailer   :-O

Frisly

@administrator

E

expeditionnorth

most of the classIV roads here are too narrow for a trailer in tow

however out west you might be able to get away with one

& then the dilemma comes about how to secure it while you're off exploring etc

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I figure I'll start working on a Trailer once my trip equip starts overflowing.  I'm just small time now.  Living in Virginia and driving to the mid-west for my Overlanding doubles the trip cost in Tolls.  I'm not one to complain about money out loud, lol, but they get you any way they can here.

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

@Wolvee, you should try wheeling in Europe, then you'll know pain. It currently costs me $150 USD to fill my Wrangler's tank with diesel.

E

expeditionnorth

if its allowed this forum has tons of info on offroad trailers when the time comes, tventuring.com

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

I like them both. I like to travel light with my roof rack when I go with my son, but when I have Niner Domestic (wife), son, daughters (2) and the golden retriever, I have to use my overland trailer and the roof rack. But in your case, if it's just you and your 2 dogs, I would use a roof rack.

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

But hey, building a small overland trailer is fun too. It took me 2 years to complete mine and I am proud of how it turned out.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello,

I would go for a trailer. But make or buy a trailer that is as wide as your car. That will deal with every track you take.
And dont make it too bulky, as you have to be able to manouvre it around. Or lift it when needed.
I used a old luggage trailer and made some modifications on it.

And it follows me everywhere. hehe

And doesnt hold me back. well almost not.

Greetings from Robert

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

image.jpg I've had my CDN M101 trailer for a little more than 6 years now. Since a Jeep Wrangler TJ has limited cargo space to begin with, it was a no brainer to go with a trailer. I kept the lunette/pintle hitch and the trailer tracks like a champ behind my Jeep both on and off-road. Properly "built" an off-road expedition trailer can go just about anywhere the vehicle towing it goes.

One of the advantages of a trailer (especially with a RTT mounted on it) is being able to drop it at a camp site and take the vehicle out on the road/trail without having to fold up a vehicle mounted RTT or unload gear. A trailer also allows you to keep it loaded between trips making organizing and keeping track of gear a little easier.

In my experience, except perhaps the cost, there is no downside to having a trailer. It only enhances the camping/expedition experience and has been known to dramatically increase the cool factor

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
View attachment 3196 I've had my CDN M101 trailer for a little more than 6 years now. Since a Jeep Wrangler TJ has limited cargo space to begin with, it was a no brainer to go with a trailer. I kept the lunette/pintle hitch and the trailer tracks like a champ behind my Jeep both on and off-road. Properly "built" an off-road expedition trailer can go just about anywhere the vehicle towing it goes.

One of the advantages of a trailer (especially with a RTT mounted on it) is being able to drop it at a camp site and take the vehicle out on the road/trail without having to fold up a vehicle mounted RTT or unload gear. A trailer also allows you to keep it loaded between trips making organizing and keeping track of gear a little easier.

In my experience, except perhaps the cost, there is no downside to having a trailer. It only enhances the camping/expedition experience and has been known to dramatically increase the cool factor
That is my thinking. I would rather have everything organized and be able to go on a moment's notice, the drop the trailer and enjoy the views and trails.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've spent the last 6 years refining our trailer. Knowing what I know now, I could build one up in a few days. It follows us wherever we go. It's in the barn right now, packed and ready to roll, and it's light, therefore we still get 13 to 14 mpg . It hauls our cold food, has running tap water, stows our camping gear, and has a nice kitchen on the rear deck. Did I mention it goes anywhere we go? Here's a couple of shots from our last trip.. DSC03088.jpg P3210034.jpg

redman333

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Any of you guys that get to a camp site and drop the trailer and explore in your rigs ever worry about someone steeling the trailer. Or do you do anything to prevent this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Any of you guys that get to a camp site and drop the trailer and explore in your rigs ever worry about someone steeling the trailer. Or do you do anything to prevent this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't had any issues in the 6 years I've had my trailer. It not much different than leaving behind a tent and camp setup. The only difference is I put a lock on my hitch so no one drives off with my trailer.

Now if I was in a "campground" and thought anyone around me was sketchy in a meth addict sort of way, I definitely would think twice about leaving anything unattended.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Never even thought about it. Then again, I have a Pintle hook, not a ball hitch and most thieves wouldn't even know what a pintle hook is. For the most part we camp at sights that are remote and "high clearance 4wd accessible only". Occasionally we camp in developed campgrounds at NPs and St.Ps, but never in privately owned campgrounds unless it is for an overlanding or club event. Then again,, thats just me, I rarely lock up our home, I rarely lock up our garage/shop, I don't own a gun for protection, nor do I buy into the general paranoia that causes one to fear his fellow human beings. Naive? no, just experienced.

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

We've never had issues ether. I have a Max Coupler on mine and just like the previous post with the pintle, thieves wouldn't have a clue haha but when we store the trailer in the City, we have a large cable lock through the rim and parachute loop on the M101cdn.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland