Trailer or No Trailer?

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Anyone ever use or hear of the Jumping Jack fold up tent/trailer? http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/index.php

seems like a lost cost way to get in to the camping trailer market. I am sure some minor mods could be done to make it more off-road worthy.
I've seen these at the local Sportmans Warehouse. They are wide and have no internal cargo storage with the tent. Everything has to be stored on top of deck.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

If it's just you and your pooches, I would recommend building a platform for the rear cargo area for the dogs to ride on top of, and then you can put gear underneath that. If you combine that with a larger rack, you should be able to carry everything and then some.

I built a shelf for my dogs (a lab and a small coonhound), and they ride on top of it happy as can be. You can kind of see it in this photo-
FathersDay2016DSC_0016 by scottybell1313, on Flickr

With that shelf and my 10 cubic foot box on top, I'm able to get myself, my wife, my two sons, my father-in-law, 2 tents, 5 sleeping mats, 5 sleeping bags, 5 camping chairs, 1 48quart cooler, 1 5 gallon water jug, dry goods, axe, shovel, and two dogs and more. We look like the freak'n Clampits rolling down the road, but we get there.

When the boys get bigger (they are 4 and 6 now) we will likely get a trailer and a larger roof rack... but for now, this works.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Anyone ever use or hear of the Jumping Jack fold up tent/trailer? http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/index.php

seems like a lost cost way to get in to the camping trailer market. I am sure some minor mods could be done to make it more off-road worthy.
Hmmm,,, just checked it out.. Minor mods to make it an expo trailer would include, 3500 lb ez-lube axle, big rubber to match your tow vehicle, ( and wheels, unless you drag around a spare for the trailer ), bigger fenders to accommodate said wheels and rubber, IMHO, the ball hitch has to go, and get the deck up so it has the same, if not better, clearance than the tow vehicle.. I couldn't help but notice the weight of the trailer and they are recommending 50 lbs tire pressure? Yikes,, my unit weighs in at +/- 700 lbs and I've never run more than 22 lbs. At 50 lbs that thing would be bouncing down the interstate.. But yes, if one wants a tent trailer, a very good way to go.