Launch Member

Contributor I

Aberdeen, NC, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Corcoran
Member #

Currently live in WA and never leave home without my Springfield XD. In the past year I have encountered a robber (in Seattle) and a threatening stray dog, neither instance resulted in drawing my weapon but nevertheless I was happy to have it had the instances escalated. I always carry a multi-tool and keep a larger knife easily accessible in the car. Both of which are frequently used as tools, however, just another level of reassurance. As long as you take the proper precautions and educate yourself on firearms safety/legality and effective use, I believe it is always better to be prepared.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I just don't know how to respond to any of this, cept to say I've never carried, never will. I don't see the need and have been traveling to and fro most all my life. I've lived in some bad areas, (think N Long Beach, Bellflower, Norwalk, Cudahy, Wash DC ) and lived in nice areas. I also spent a lot of time in South Central, Compton, Watts, and East LA working outside amongst the populace. Here is a fact though. More people are struck by lightning and killed than people that have been killed by a perp during a home invasion. (I've been trying to market a lightning repellant suit for years, to no avail)

Years ago I was sharing some photos with an interested person. A customer came over and wanted to see some as well. I told my story along with the short slide show to the enjoyment of these two people. The customer asked what we carried? I replyed nothing. He started freaking out and in astonished surprised asked what I'd do if some Mexicans came to our camp. I replied, Como estas, quieres un poco de aqua? Needless to say he hadn't a clue what I just said. I'm just not paranoid, nor will I succumb to the propaganda that preaches that I should be living in fear.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I just don't know how to respond to any of this.
Well, just know that nothing on here is meant as a personal attack against you or your personal belief system. We're just average guys on here chatting about camping and traveling related issues...pretty normal stuff. It's all good! You don't want to carry a gun and I don't want to eat cooked beets...we all have our own cross to bear. :blush:

Last edited:

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

I just don't know how to respond to any of this, cept to say I've never carried, never will. I don't see the need and have been traveling to and fro most all my life. I've lived in some bad areas, (think N Long Beach, Bellflower, Norwalk, Cudahy, Wash DC ) and lived in nice areas. I also spent a lot of time in South Central, Compton, Watts, and East LA working outside amongst the populace. Here is a fact though. More people are struck by lightning and killed than people that have been killed by a perp during a home invasion. (I've been trying to market a lightning repellant suit for years, to no avail)

Years ago I was sharing some photos with an interested person. A customer came over and wanted to see some as well. I told my story along with the short slide show to the enjoyment of these two people. The customer asked what we carried? I replyed nothing. He started freaking out and in astonished surprised asked what I'd do if some Mexicans came to our camp. I replied, Como estas, quieres un poco de aqua? Needless to say he hadn't a clue what I just said. I'm just not paranoid, nor will I succumb to the propaganda that preaches that I should be living in fear.
I hear what your saying but the data isn't really accurate.

Defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million. CDC data.

2018 saw 127,258 rapes and 16,214 murders vs. Lightning kills an average (I couldn''t find data for 2018) of 49 people each year in the United States and hundreds more are injured.

Your statement that you're more likely to get hit by lightning and killed then getting killed in a home invasion is flat out wrong.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Zero issues while traveling in the US, ever. From BC to Cabo, Az to Va, NY to Tx. Nothing I was concerned about... However, I was a paramedic for 10 years, worked in the country's busiest burn and trauma center for another 8 years. I've bared witness thousands of times over, what cruel and abusive things humans can do to one another. Hence a Glock 30 on my hip and a Mossberg Maverick 88 12g mounted on the roof of my rig.

Christiaan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose
First Name
Christiaan
Last Name
Kuun
Member #

Couple of thoughts here.
- If you are camping in the wild, and some random person decides they would like to kill you, and they have a gun, you will be dead before you even know they are there. Why would anyone risk their life walking into a confrontation with someone else who *may* have a gun? This is highly unlikely.
- If someone does walk up to your camp, they are either a psychopath (1% chance), or they are just another camper looking to say "Hi!" or ask for some help. The fear that we have in our minds about this potential threat is far greater than the actual threat. If you are a person who feels so easily threatened then you definitely shouldn't be carrying.
- In a situation where a gun is pulled on you, your mind is by far your most powerful weapon - the person pulling the gun probably just wants to steal something and be on their way - just give it to them and de-escalate the situation. If you also pull out your gun (if you are lucky enough to have the chance), your life will immediately be in grave danger as it becomes a "me vs. you" situation.
- Totally agree that bear-spray or mace is a very effective deterrent when dealing with stray humans or animals - and you won't have to live with the fact that you killed someone needlessly or end up in jail.
- I grew up with guns, know how to shoot them well (did shooting at school), spent lots of time on farms. To me, guns are a tool, I will never own a gun unless I need it as a tool, and definitely not the kind of gun that is made to kill humans (i.e. anything other than a hunting rifle).

The USA is an incredibly safe country, far safer than most places on this planet. Overlanding is about getting out there and enjoying nature and about testing yourself, being self-reliant. The ability to do that without a gun is a better test of your own mettle than with one. Being outside to me is about becoming part of nature, and not about overwhelming nature - a gun just feels so out of place.

I have actually been at the receiving end of gun violence. Me and my family were held at gunpoint by a gang of robbers a few year ago. What saved our lives was the fact that I could keep my family calm, I could keep the robbers calm, and I could manage the situation and everyone's emotions (while lying on the ground completely tied up). If I had a gun in that situation, I would have been a dead man today. We were not living in the USA (where we live today) at the time.

Sorry for the long post! Have been reading this thread for the past couple of days, and finally couldn't hold it in any longer.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not sure if we should take situational awareness advice from a guy that's hog tied, but thanks. Lol.

Ya'll overland your own way. I'll carry a Glock 23/34/41.

Constant training is a bit of a pita though. Make it easier. Check out TDI Ohio for pistol and hand to hand training, related to the above scenarios. Quite a few cops and lawyers on that staff.

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

Couple of thoughts here.
- If you are camping in the wild, and some random person decides they would like to kill you, and they have a gun, you will be dead before you even know they are there. Why would anyone risk their life walking into a confrontation with someone else who *may* have a gun? This is highly unlikely.
- If someone does walk up to your camp, they are either a psychopath (1% chance), or they are just another camper looking to say "Hi!" or ask for some help. The fear that we have in our minds about this potential threat is far greater than the actual threat. If you are a person who feels so easily threatened then you definitely shouldn't be carrying.
- In a situation where a gun is pulled on you, your mind is by far your most powerful weapon - the person pulling the gun probably just wants to steal something and be on their way - just give it to them and de-escalate the situation. If you also pull out your gun (if you are lucky enough to have the chance), your life will immediately be in grave danger as it becomes a "me vs. you" situation.
- Totally agree that bear-spray or mace is a very effective deterrent when dealing with stray humans or animals - and you won't have to live with the fact that you killed someone needlessly or end up in jail.
- I grew up with guns, know how to shoot them well (did shooting at school), spent lots of time on farms. To me, guns are a tool, I will never own a gun unless I need it as a tool, and definitely not the kind of gun that is made to kill humans (i.e. anything other than a hunting rifle).

The USA is an incredibly safe country, far safer than most places on this planet. Overlanding is about getting out there and enjoying nature and about testing yourself, being self-reliant. The ability to do that without a gun is a better test of your own mettle than with one. Being outside to me is about becoming part of nature, and not about overwhelming nature - a gun just feels so out of place.

I have actually been at the receiving end of gun violence. Me and my family were held at gunpoint by a gang of robbers a few year ago. What saved our lives was the fact that I could keep my family calm, I could keep the robbers calm, and I could manage the situation and everyone's emotions (while lying on the ground completely tied up). If I had a gun in that situation, I would have been a dead man today. We were not living in the USA (where we live today) at the time.

Sorry for the long post! Have been reading this thread for the past couple of days, and finally couldn't hold it in any longer.
You make so many assumptions here and you back them up with anecdotal evidence.

I could post 1000+ videos right now showing good people with guns stopping bad people with guns.

Lets just focus on one.

You said "In a situation where a gun is pulled on you, your mind is by far your most powerful weapon - the person pulling the gun probably just wants to steal something and be on their way - just give it to them and de-escalate the situation. If you also pull out your gun (if you are lucky enough to have the chance), your life will immediately be in grave danger as it becomes a "me vs. you" situation."

You do not know the persons intent, do they want to kill the witnesses, rape someone, kidnap someone...etc. Assuming it will just be a take the wallet and go is 100% foolish.

Here is someone without a ton of training doing exactly what a good person with a gun should do when presented with a life threatening situation.

How would you "manage the situation and everyone's emotions (while lying on the ground completely tied up)" as you watch your wife, daughter or mother being raped in front of you?

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Pretty much says it all right there. My guns must be defective. Not a single one has ever acted on its own volition.
I gave All my murderous firearms back to Uncle Sam when I got back from the desert. All my guns are now law abiding scitezens residing in their propper homes. Not saying one wouldn’t kill some one some day if the need arose, but who knows, my combat spork has killed more elk than my hunting rifle. (In my rifles defense, since I bought it, I have only drawn a tag once... stupid Oregon lottery system.)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Especially notable is the rising amount of purely violent crime from areas that should be perfectly quiet and peaceful. People that just want to f you up.

Minnesota for example, is turning into a complete $#17#0/e, thanks to the naivety of the public there. Invite the dregs of the whole world to your neighborhood, and watch the predictable social experiment unwind. From my distance, it's entertaining. Everyone loves popcorn.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

It is pretty funny for me reading this and comming from a country where no personal fire arms are allowed to see firearms associated with any kind of safety., personal or otherwise.. :) .
Your entire country is smaller than 48 of our 50 States, your population is less than any of them by several orders of magnitude.

It is an entirely different culture.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I own guns and fire extinguishers both.

For the same reason.

Preparedness isn't propaganda, but while people you consider to be ill informed are not forcing you to carry a gun, people I consider to be ill informed are trying to take mine away.

Pretending that speaking the language of someone intending to kill you is in any way even pertinent is absurd, but it is your life so carry on.

This is what is happening on the Texas/Mexico border , speaking their language won't help (if you need help translating these articles into English let me know). You won't see this on the mainstream media because it is contrary to their desired narrative.

There is no shortage of evil people, of all races, ethnicity, and culture. Pretending otherwise is simply tempting fate.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Especially notable is the rising amount of purely violent crime from areas that should be perfectly quiet and peaceful. People that just want to f you up.

Minnesota for example, is turning into a complete $#17#0/e, thanks to the naivety of the public there. Invite the dregs of the whole world to your neighborhood, and watch the predictable social experiment unwind. From my distance, it's entertaining. Everyone loves popcorn.
Folks in South Dallas are experiencing this on a regular basis. There's been a lot of gentrifying of various areas south and west of the downtown area and it's pushing into areas that were in the past...........less than desirable. They've seen a pretty decent uptick of home invasions and armed muggings.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and MidOH

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Couple of thoughts here.

Your entitled to your opinion , which is all it is, as is mine. It's obvious you are of a different mind think . What you didn't say is much more important to me than what you did say. In my opinion garbage !

You said you were the victim of gun violence , no sir, you were not a victim of gun violence, there was no one shot or injured with a gun. You were the victim of a robbery which is a crime anywhere. They were able to rob because they had guns which you feared and they knew it. Granted you may not have been able to stop it with a gun unless you were in the same position as the recent BRAVE CC man who shot and killed an assassin in his church. Had he not been armed how many others would have died at the hands of a bad man. What safer place could anyone have been than in a church ? I don't buy your opinion and you are obviously in the minority of opinions concerning firearms. The second amendment is about the right to protect yourself, not how many deer you are allowed to hunt.