Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I think we need to remember that "Overlanding" occurs in more countries than just the US. Yes, we can carry firearms in the US.
However, many other countries have different laws and cultures.
"If I can't carry, I ain't going" is a pretty closed minded position. Hundreds of millions of people move about the earth daily unarmed their entire lives with out ever being in a situation where one was needed.
Really if we as "Americans" were really concerned about saving our own or another's life, we should EDC defibrillators. There's a higher risk of heart attack then just being attacked.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Each to his or her own, but I always have either a rifle or shotgun with us when camping, exploring, whateveryouwannacalliting while here in British Columbia. I generally take a short shotgun with me when hiking in the back country as well. I'm not going to judge those that have no interest in firearms or taking them along, it is just my personal preference to have one around. Both my Wife and I are licensed, and we enjoy going out target shooting and plinking and stuff. We've actually decided we would like to get proficient and trained in handgun shooting and plan to take some courses here to do so.

I have only had one possible scary incident, and I was in Washington state at the time , so I was camping "sans-firearm". I had found a very nice remote spot at the end of a trail, far, far up a logging road near Skykomish. I was literally in the middle of nowhere, at a dead-end single vehicle space only spot, camped beside a beautiful stream. At 10pm I noticed lights coming my way. The truck pulled up , shined it's brights on my truck and camper, then backed into the bushes directly across from me and sat their for a good 10 minutes with it's light on. I was backed into my spot (I always back into a spot to make sure I have egress if needed), so I first flipped all the exterior camper lights on, then I got dressed, put my shoes on, grabbed my keys, phone, inReach, and my machete , and slowly got out of the camper, ready to run if need be. I crept up to the passenger side after making sure their was no one coming towards me from the other truck, opened the door and flipped on all my headlights, and spot lights and led light bar. It lit up the forest, and the truck parked across from me. I stood there for a minute waiting to see what would happen and then this old scruffy guy got out and came over very slowly, hands in front of him and aid "holy cow you scared the life out of me with those lights". After a quick chat at a safe distance, he said he lived on the road full time and had stayed at this little spot many times before. He mentioned a few landmarks in the area (old mines) so I knew he was familiar with the area. He apologized for interrupting me, said he was just going to crash in his truck canopy, wished me a good night and went back to his vehicle.
This particular instance turned out well, but I will be totally honest here. When the truck pulled up, then backed up with it's lights on me I would have felt a little better if I had one of my firearms with me.

Thier was also that one time (not in band camp) where we had a cougar sniffing around our Xterra late at night. We were tucked into the rooftop tent and had no idea he came by, until I noticed his muddy paw prints on the quarter panel above the wheel well on the Xterra the next morning.

Jaron Williams

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kinston, NC USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I will say that for an everyday person, in a panic situation, they would probably be better with a can of bear spray. Unless highly trained in a high tension atmosphere, the odds of placing accurate shots is highly unlikely (if they can even pull the trigger. It becomes a careless shootout with the "luckly" one maybe surviving.
If a sketchy person approaches you and closes in on your 7 foot zone you cannot just shoot them. YOU WILL GO TO PRISON FOR MURDER. If you draw on a weird dude that is currently unarmed and hes is allowed to close the gap because you cannot legally fire, it now becomes a wrestling match for your weapon. Not a good situation.
However, if the same person closes that gap after warnings you can hit them with Mace or bear spray and not risk losing your life to a murder charge.

I do carry both options in the wild. In the city I fall back on street smarts (grew up in SouthEast San Diego). I dont put myself in bad places. If i am in the wrong place at the wrong time, there will be only 1 option.
Being ex- military and a former state correction officer I agree with your premise. I tell friends that having a weapon and not proficient with it could put you in a more dangerous situation. And not knowing when you are allowed to use it will put YOU in jail!

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I always concealed carry as do my traveling companions. When out in the wilderness, I'll switch to open carry just as so anyone looking at us can see we are not defenseless. victims.

I also carry a SCAR and 870 in the truck easy to get to. Below is a link to a good article to the dangers in the Colorado outdoors.

Danger in the forest
+1 for SCAR 17h and Remington 870...both proven.

Jaron Williams

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kinston, NC USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Nope, it took the US army, wich is something different. And it took tanks, and navies and above else a lot of Air Power..

So lets not put and equal sign between US Army and some guys in truck with some revolvers.....
That I agree with!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Nope, it took the US army, wich is something different. And it took tanks, and navies and above else a lot of Air Power..

So lets not put and equal sign between US Army and some guys in truck with some revolvers.....
Let’s go back to the history books shall we. Who made up over 90% of the US Military (Navy, Army, Marines) during WWII? A bunch of back woods gun toting hickabillies. There were 2 kinds of guys in the US Military back then, the guys who got drafted, and the patriots that felt it was their duty to enlist. Basic Training was a 2 week long corse focused on Rifle Marksmanship and first aid. This was fallowed by another several week corse that taught people the jobs they were going to do while in battle.
Who made up the last 10% of the US forces? They would be the educated guys that went to college or scored high enough on their test scores to become officers. General Patton was from California raised around guns, but couldn’t shoot very well himself. What he did have was an education in tactics, which lead to the turning point of the western front of the war resulting in the liberation of Nazi Germany.

now on to modern times (post Vietnam)

the us draft has been deactivated for 40 some years now. The Us Armed forces rely on volunteers to join its ranks. While the soldiers come from every walk of life, 90% are still gun toting hulliguns, weather a redneck cowboy from Texas, or a wannabe thugger from Chicago, or that peace loving Eskimo from Alaska. I served with them all for 15 years on 5 different continents and 8 unique countries. The minority of the volunteer army had never shot a gun in their life, and even fewer had never seen a gun before.
In my 9 Week basic training course there were 5 people in my platoon of 90, people hat had never shot a gun, and only one of those (a Polock fresh from Poland) had never seen a gun before in their life.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I typically EDC a Glock 17 or 19. At work I keep it in a lockbox in our gated parking lot. Can't carry at work. On trips I have the G17 and a CAA "MicroRoni" chassis for it floating around in the Jeep at the very least, though I typically toss one of the ARs into the back as well. In my Get home bag in the back I keep a spare rifle and pistol magazine or two.

When out and in the woods I don't typically worry about needing it but I keep a Fire Extinguisher in my Jeep as well and don't plan on using that. None of this stuff takes up a lot of space.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
That would be quite cool to walk in on
Yeah he was born and raised in Northern Italy. He would also make this crazy bread that was like a bagel but had meat and vegies in it. Take a fist sized chunk and you were good to go. Some of the best trail food I have ever had.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Bet that stuff was g
Yeah he was born and raised in Northern Italy. He would also make this crazy bread that was like a bagel but had meat and vegies in it. Take a fist sized chunk and you were good to go. Some of the best trail food I have ever had.
Bet that stuff was good eating

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The banjo is my camp security. Banjo music in the woods tends to keep people away, lol...
yeah, that should keep "normal" folk away but I'm afraid that any real Hillbillies within earshot of that will be immediately whipped into a blood lust frenzy and drawn to the source. we're getting ready to remote camp in north Georgia in a couple of weeks...i've been studying the DVD to make sure I'm prepared. can't always count on having Ned Betty around to take one for the team... :grimacing:

banjo.jpg

Last edited: