Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Are you saying that it's OK for your truck to be there running, but a chainsaw is not OK?

If you say things like ''you can't run a chainsaw here'', you just closed the trail. Not me.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Looked to me if it were still in one piece you could have hugged the right hand side and went under it without cutting anything. I guess that depends on the overall height of your rig though.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
View attachment 104902Everyone that thinks an ax will do what a chainsaw will should think again. Drove in to a dead end trail to explore a mine. 16” tree fell and brought a second in with it blocking my way out. Long story short, three cuts to remove one and lay the other all the way on the road to be able to drive over it. 1.5 hours and this hand later, the trail is not truly “clear”. Just passable.... for some people. Chainsaw would have been a god send.64EC2C67-7432-49F3-B7E7-977A72E6CDAB.jpeg

Three days later the hand is looking pretty good!

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Remember, we all have our differences and Preferences! This is all just opinions and let’s keep it a friendly conversation! Thanks everyone! Vance.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
But, but, muh rope saw? Lolz.
Does a rope saw work very well? I carry a bow saw, but it looks like the rope saw is more compact...I'd be interested in getting one if anybody has had good luck with them

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
One thing here for sure is a fact. One uses that section of your hand that doesn’t look so good in the picture WAY more than you think! :wink:

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
One thing here for sure is a fact. One uses that section of your hand that doesn’t look so good in the picture WAY more than you think! :wink:
Yeah, thats pretty brutal. And and hour and a half swinging an axe would surely wear out shoulder and arm muscles. The battery powered chainsaws posted on here are looking pretty good...

Ruben Z

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Texas
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Zamora
Love my STIHL 044. This thing is a beast however it is pretty big and I normally won't take it. I do however always carry an Axe. If I do decide to build my DIY Off-Road Trailer I probably will carry the STIHL more often. It just takes up too much space in the back of my Wrangler.

Attachments

Reactions: snozberries

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

I got a little Stihl MS180 last spring, not the 180c just the plain 180. It's an awesome little truck saw. Fits in my toolbox and doesnt weigh much. A tank of premix and bar oil will do quite a bit of cutting but I carry an extra quart of oil and a small metal can of premix. When the small metal can gets emptied I grab more out of my dirtbike jug.

It's not as powerful as the saws I grew up running but has been fine for all the situations I have ran into. I would suggest a hatchet and some plastic wedges aswell.

2 weekends ago I was riding the dirt bike in some Idaho high country. There is still a lot of dead fall on the roads. The jeeps and other well equipped offroaders with winches and such were just driving off the road through the high mountain vegetation. That is what gets it shut down for everyone. Spend a few minutes clearing the road or turn around. The trees were small enough inwas able to ride my dirtbike right over the top of the them. Just big enough I couldn't move them.

OkieMizzou

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Darby, Montana, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7MTP
I routinely camp with a trailer and always have a chainsaw in the tongue box. Stihl MS271 Farm Boss (18") is a great saw that's not too big but certainly big enough to cut 99% of the things you'll come across on any offroad adventure. If I travel without the trailer in areas with potential fallen trees then I always carry the saw on my Jeep. I also carry a full size ax, camp ax, Sven saw and my Silky 330. My entire overland/camp/trek/offroad philosophy is to be as prepared as I can be - not just for myself but for others as well.

Last edited:

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I carry a bow saw. Easy to pack. I’ve been cutting a tree blocking the trail and had a ranger come up and help.,

Reactions: CR-Venturer

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I carry a Stihl Farmboss with a 20" blade. Does everything I need it to do. I carry it in a chain saw box I obtained from Northern Tool. The box is kind of big but it holds extra fuel and oil and you cannot smell anything in the vehicle. I have thought about slimming down and getting an electric but really no sense in spending money unnecessarily just to have a few more inches of space.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have one, need to get chains sharpened and probably a tune up. I've never really liked it because I constantly have to tighten the chain. Been thinking of a new one.
Chain stretch can mean a number of things but "need a new saw" generally isn't one of them.
Chain too tight is #1 culprit, bad or inadequate lube, getting it in the dirt will wear out the drive gear which acts like a stretched chain and then the wear on the gear actually stretches the chain, and then there is the Chinamans chains.

Reactions: justjames

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Whenever we go deep we bring at least one chainsaw in the group. Really, just about anytime I go on something that isn't a "major road." Even a well-maintained fireroad can have downed trees. A lot of people's attitude is "we'll just turn back if we have to." But what if you're on an out-and-back route and a tree falls across your path once you've already gone past, but you still need to come back through the same way to get out?

-TJ